• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Route: Northern NJ to Sugarbush

gladerider

I haven't been to Sugarbush in 9 years. Heading up there next weekend.

My route is typically: I287 > I87 exit 28 > Crown Point Bridge to VT > 17

I think some people do: I287 > Tapan Z > I684 > I84 > I91 > I89 > 12A > 100

What do you do?

I also think that there is a road near Sugarbush that closes during the winter months. Do you know which road that was?

Thanks.

cdskier

I87 all the way to Rt 149 in Queensbury, NY (I'm terrible with exit numbers even though I take it every week...either 19 or 20). 149 to 4. 4 to 22A. 22A to 73. 73 to 100. 100 to Sugarbush Access Road

I go the way I go as I like avoiding Rutland. The Brandon Gap is generally also a decent way over the mountain and usually not bad (although the western side of the gap is getting pretty bumpy and on the list to be re-paved after the winter).

Lincoln Gap road is the only major road I know of in the area closed in the winter.

gladerider

I87 all the way to Rt 149 in Queensbury, NY (I'm terrible with exit numbers even though I take it every week...either 19 or 20). 149 to 4. 4 to 22A. 22A to 73. 73 to 100. 100 to Sugarbush Access Road

I go the way I go as I like avoiding Rutland. The Brandon Gap is generally also a decent way over the mountain and usually not bad (although the western side of the gap is getting pretty bumpy and on the list to be re-paved after the winter).

Lincoln Gap road is the only major road I know of in the area closed in the winter.

That would be exit 20 off of I87. I do that when i go to killington.

mbedle

Agree with this.

BenedictGomez

I never drive direct to Sugarbush, but this is the way to do it.

tumbler

I will take Rt 4 to Rt 3 to 7 to 73.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Do not do the 684/84/91 route. Shit. Show. 84 is massively inadequate 684 through Waterbury. Getting on 91 in Hartford from 84 is challenging and backs up frequently.

Luckily they're going to re-build Hartford/84 over the next 10-15 years. Supposedly Rt7/84 through Danbury is also going to get re-done further down the pipe.

MommaBear

Do not do the 684/84/91 route. Shit. Show. 84 is massively inadequate 684 through Waterbury. Getting on 91 in Hartford from 84 is challenging and backs up frequently.

Live long CT resident here - totally agree!

benski

I also agree this is the way to go. Queensbury, NY is also part of the Lake George area and has bunch of outlet malls, but the lake is a few miles north.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Live long CT resident here - totally agree!

The fact that we are THE connector state between NYC and Boston and there are still many many miles of 84 and 95 that are only 2 lanes is mind-boggling. I have lots and lots of complaints (not just for those highways) but anyone could look at a map and figure out that those highways need to be top-notch for capacity.

/end rant

cdskier

The fact that we are THE connector state between NYC and Boston and there are still many many miles of 84 and 95 that are only 2 lanes is mind-boggling. I have lots and lots of complaints (not just for those highways) but anyone could look at a map and figure out that those highways need to be top-notch for capacity.

/end rant

I hate driving through CT when I have to go to the Boston area for work. Depending on the time I’m driving, I’ll sometimes use the mass pike all the way to the ny thruway. More miles but less headache and the time difference can end up being minimal when you factor in CT traffic through the 84 corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hate driving through CT when I have to go to the Boston area for work. Depending on the time I’m driving, I’ll sometimes use the mass pike all the way to the ny thruway. More miles but less headache and the time difference can end up being minimal when you factor in CT traffic through the 84 corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I may try this the next time I have to visit our corporate office in Mahwah. I've tried every other possible way through Connecticut and they all stink. Thankfully I only have to head down there 3-4 times a year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

shipyardcreek

I know at least 6 ways from the Northway to MRV. They are all about the same distance and take the same time. Surprisingly, going thru Rutland takes no more time than the alternate routes, especially if you take the hospital short cut to avoid the Rt 4 lights. One advantage to Rutland is cheaper gas than you will find on the other routes.

Rt 4 to Rt 3 to Rt7 to 73 is a good alternative. Just look for McConnell Rd off Rt 7 a short distance past Otter Valley Union HS, it saves having to go through Brandon with the 25 mph speed limit. There is a service station on the NE corner.

If the weather is good and you are heading to Mt. Ellen or MRG go 22A to 74 to 30 into Middlebury. Then Rt 7 to 17 and over the App Gap.