• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MRG..great condition reporting..as it should be

Skrn

Agreed. This is what it should be. People doing business honestly will get more business in the long run. Personally I found boyne resorts to be some of the worst. In bad weather day I would read their weather report to see how they spin things. Can often get a laugh from their creativity

thetrailboss

Staff member
MRG has always been very good with information for their clientele. Their market is the very passionate and informed skier.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

crazy

I have nothing but respect for MRG and Magic's conditions reports. Very honest.

Not sure I'd agree on SB. Their text seems ok but their list of open trails makes one think it would be a decent day when most of the ungroomed you wouldn't even want to try. Sorry, SB gets a thumbs down from me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not sure I agree. I see what you're saying, but I appreciate that they open up trails in marginal conditions and let you make the call with whether you want to ski them or not. Usually you can tell by reading conditions reports, following forums like this one, and looking at the weather what the ungroomed trails will ski like. I would much rather have this than the opposite, where mountains are conservative about opening trails and only open them when conditions are perfect.

BenedictGomez

If you think snow report honestly's bad now, you should have seen it before teh iternetz.

The internet has been a major injection of truth serum to most areas snow reports, because the smart ones know it's moronic to lie in a world connected. There are some that still lie (Camelback is absurd), but I'd say most today are fairly honest.

kingslug

Yes..but im mostly talking about a better narrative..Stowe for one has none..
MRG gives you a very good idea of what to expect..even though most of us can figure that out for our selves..many might not.

abc

Not sure I'd agree on SB. Their text seems ok but their list of open trails makes one think it would be a decent day when most of the ungroomed you wouldn't even want to try. Sorry, SB gets a thumbs down from me.
I would think they don’t open a trail if it’s unsafe. Whether it’s pleasant or not is a different story.

So you would rather they just close all the ungroomed trails?

cdskier

Yes..but im mostly talking about a better narrative..Stowe for one has none..
MRG gives you a very good idea of what to expect..even though most of us can figure that out for our selves..many might not.

MRG is definitely one of the best. I actually think SB used to be better than they are now. They often try to put a little too positive spin on things.

Not sure I agree. I see what you're saying, but I appreciate that they open up trails in marginal conditions and let you make the call with whether you want to ski them or not. Usually you can tell by reading conditions reports, following forums like this one, and looking at the weather what the ungroomed trails will ski like. I would much rather have this than the opposite, where mountains are conservative about opening trails and only open them when conditions are perfect.

Fully agree. I like the way Sugarbush handles opening/closing trails.

I would think they don’t open a trail if it’s unsafe. Whether it’s pleasant or not is a different story.

So you would rather they just close all the ungroomed trails?

Correct. Some people happen to like rock hard bumps for some reason (not me). I'm perfectly fine with having that open for people that want to rattle their teeth a bit. I appreciate that they let people decide for themselves and are so aggressive with opening and keeping trails open. If something is actually closed at SB, there's good reason for it.

machski

SB is truly a hardcore hill..I like it for that reason
Yes, but so isn't MRG, probably more so. And their trail report had most (not all) ungroomed terrain closed to at least start the day. Anyone actually ski Sugarbush the day of the report and give an actual report if their ungroomed was in fact open? If it was, I'd love to know injury/sled ride totals for the day. I like they leave it open too, sort of. But I think in text they need to be even more brutally clear on what to expect on ungroomed. Seems open to a ton of liability and litigation in this day and age, especially like Castlerock with no bail out groomer option off the peak.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Yes, but so isn't MRG, probably more so. And their trail report had most (not all) ungroomed terrain closed to at least start the day. Anyone actually ski Sugarbush the day of the report and give an actual report if their ungroomed was in fact open? If it was, I'd love to know injury/sled ride totals for the day. I like they leave it open too, sort of. But I think in text they need to be even more brutally clear on what to expect on ungroomed. Seems open to a ton of liability and litigation in this day and age, especially like Castlerock with no bail out groomer option off the peak.

They were open...they even had the Jr Castlerock Extreme challenge on Lift Line on Saturday. All ungroomed terrain is clearly marked with signs at the entrances warning of expert only, thin cover. Castlerock has a big warning sign on the trail leading to the lift mentioning all the hazards (ungroomed, moguls, thin cover, rocks, etc).

I skied a tiny little bit of an ungroomed trail to check it out. Very firm, but yet still edgeable if you really wanted to go and work on your rock hard bump technique. The one trail that genuinely had actual glare ice that I saw was closed (top headwall of Organgrinder).

I saw very few people on the ungroomed terrain so expect the injury count was near 0. People generally follow the signs and only go if they know what they are getting themselves into.

sankaty

If you think snow report honestly's bad now, you should have seen it before teh iternetz.

The internet has been a major injection of truth serum to most areas snow reports, because the smart ones know it's moronic to lie in a world connected. There are some that still lie (Camelback is absurd), but I'd say most today are fairly honest.

Totally agree, but I've found that many areas have simply stopped trying to describe surface conditions on marginal days, presumably because the Internet discourages unmitigated lying. I've noticed many days this year when the Killington/Pico snow report doesn't mention surface conditions at all. Many other mountains simply describe the conditions as "Machine Groomed," which really just means that they ran a groomer over whatever surface they have.

Today, for example, the report at Okemo is:
Primary Surface: Machine Groomed
Secondary Surface: Variable Conditions

I guess if you don't have anything nice to say . . .

I do appreciate the unvarnished reports that MRG issues.

kingslug

Just have to watch the weather reports and keep track. Then add it all up and you get it. I still love when people have no idea at all what its like out there. " You think it will be icy?" why no..it just hit 51 and rained then went down to 12 below zero..I think it will be just swell..

kingslug

Think ill write to Stowe about their lack of reporting..even Hunter has an afternoon report. Hell all places should have one..

cdskier

Think ill write to Stowe about their lack of reporting..even Hunter has an afternoon report. Hell all places should have one..

Yea, I don't understand not having a text report at all. I'm guessing it is a Vail thing as Vail doesn't have one on their website either that I saw when I looked after first noticing the Stowe one had disappeared. It will be interesting to see if Okemo's goes away next year after further integration into the Vail empire.