Most expensive lift tickets - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Shitshow. 90 minute drive up; 90 minutes back sliding down the canyon. Gadzoom at midday:

Attachment 24589

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Screw it, Ill be in the bar.

Ah shit, Im in Utah.

Ive got a Steamboat trip coming in late March and Im praying that the Ikon goes on sale before then and I can use it for Steamboat this spring. Otherwise, Ill be dropping around $600 on tix just for myself.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I’ve got a Steamboat trip coming in late March and I’m praying that the Ikon goes on sale before then and I can use it for Steamboat this spring. Otherwise, I’ll be dropping around $600 on tix just for myself.
    I'm in a similar situation with Squaw, so I'll be praying right along with you. I know they'll be on sale by the time I'm out there, just don't know if they'll include the end of 18/19 on the pass. Would be more confident if last year wasn't the first year of Ikon. The good news is I can ski elsewhere if it isn't, the bad is I'll have 2 kids with me, so multiply stuff by 3 (minus kids prices).

As for Utah (SLC area), seems like things have just exploded out there since the last time I was there. Maybe it's just too easy to get to, and a lot of people who liked skiing there moved there. Would like to get back there one of these days, but it's been definitely dropping down on my to-do list.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    You do know Snowbasin had now gone to Epic?
    Yes, but it is a partner resort, no? Thus you only get a max 7 days there on Epic. Bird/Alta had been bad before Icon and LCC can't be all Icon driven, you only get 7 days max there on Icon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    I'm in a similar situation with Squaw, so I'll be praying right along with you. I know they'll be on sale by the time I'm out there, just don't know if they'll include the end of 18/19 on the pass. Would be more confident if last year wasn't the first year of Ikon. The good news is I can ski elsewhere if it isn't, the bad is I'll have 2 kids with me, so multiply stuff by 3 (minus kids prices)
    Enjoy your trip. Tahoe is my fave western destination, although Aspen comes close. Squaw is simply awesome but I strongly recommend checking out Homewood and Sierra-at-Tahoe for local mountains. God, I love that area.

Looks like another 6 feet for california..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Western resorts are typically destination resorts (as are some eastern ones, but not as much). The day ticket is a reflection of the revenue per day they need to get out of each visitor. Day trippers will drop the $150-200 on a ticket. Stay 3-4 days and yes, it gets cheaper for a ticket but now revenue is generated from lodging, meals, bar, etc. One way or another they get that $150-200/day/guest.

Disney employs a similar model. One day and it's $100+ but you stay 4 days or 7 days or more, the incremental day ticket price is negligible. They know that longer a guest stays, more revenue is generated. These pass collectives essentially give you the skiing for free (or 1/2 price, or whatever) realizing that you can't make money unless you get the bodies on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by flakeydog View Post
    Western resorts are typically destination resorts (as are some eastern ones, but not as much). The day ticket is a reflection of the revenue per day they need to get out of each visitor. Day trippers will drop the $150-200 on a ticket. Stay 3-4 days and yes, it gets cheaper for a ticket but now revenue is generated from lodging, meals, bar, etc. One way or another they get that $150-200/day/guest.

Disney employs a similar model. One day and it's $100+ but you stay 4 days or 7 days or more, the incremental day ticket price is negligible. They know that longer a guest stays, more revenue is generated. These pass collectives essentially give you the skiing for free (or 1/2 price, or whatever) realizing that you can't make money unless you get the bodies on the hill.
    Neither get that from me as I never stay on property at ski areas or Disney. They may get my lunch money but on vacations I have a eat only 1 meal out a day rule. Usually Airbnb or timeshare(didn't buy it, got it free) so have kitchen.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Enjoy your trip. Tahoe is my fave western destination, although Aspen comes close. Squaw is simply awesome but I strongly recommend checking out Homewood and Sierra-at-Tahoe for local mountains. God, I love that area.
    Thanks, had a great day at Homewood about 10 years ago. 4 feet of fresh but had to miss opening bell to pick up our marriage license!!! Powder lasted all day anyway and the marriage is still going good too.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    As for Utah (SLC area), seems like things have just exploded out there since the last time I was there. Maybe it's just too easy to get to, and a lot of people who liked skiing there moved there. Would like to get back there one of these days, but it's been definitely dropping down on my to-do list.
    If you think it's bad now, I imagine the fact Utah is predicted to be the 3rd-fastest growing state in America (TX, CO) for the next 25 years, isn't going to help any.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Bird/Alta had been bad before Icon & LCC can't be all Icon driven, you only get 7 days max on Icon.
    What if the locals are buying ICON in big numbers?

If thousands of locals bought IKON passes, that, multiplied by 7, could be a huge skier visit number.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information