Most expensive lift tickets - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    But is it?

Maintaining a ski resort is very expensive, especially for large Western resorts that have considerable infrastructure and have to deal with avalanche mitigation. People constantly complain about crowds ... but also complain about costs. Aspen costs what it does because they consciously are limiting uphill capacity and limiting crowds to make the guest experience better for the people who are willing to pay up. Should Aspen lower its prices and become more crowded? Then there's Vail at $209/ticket. Despite that, Vail is one of the busiest resorts in the country that experiences incredible crowds on weekends, holidays, and powder days. Obviously there is demand for what they offer at that price point.

The interaction between multiresort passes and day ticket prices is interesting. Having a multiresort pass encourages a resort to hike up day ticket rates, which makes the multiresort pass more and more valuable. As someone who skis a lot, what's bad about this? Even if Vail charged half of what they do for walk up tickets, I would be getting a huge amount of value out of the Epic Pass if Vail was where I skied. High day ticket prices help soak the tourists, or people who have enough money that they don't care about costs, and enable people like me to ski a ton for a very fair price. Given shorter winters and a more variable climate as time goes on, multiresort and season passes enable resorts to mitigate risk.
    Vail is one of the busiest resorts because of ease of access for most (and very easy access for the Uber wealthy) and the Epic pass. Remember, that's where these insanely cheap multi resort passes started. I will grant you before Epic, Vail was still high prices but not to the extent a day pass is now. What Vail always had was that ease of access, high speed lifts everywhere and the back bowls which they marketed to the max.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Totally get the going out west for generally speaking better conditions than in the east. Truly do. And it makes a lot of sense if you are going to drop major cash on a destination vacation.

But for me and my situation it's a waste of money and effort. At least in terms of worrying about timing good conditions. I do miss the terrain and big mountain feel of western ski areas.
    I understand your situation. I was just pointing out your assumption on others’ position was far off from reality.

Powder days have very little to do with where people choose to ski. If it were for powder days, Alta and Snowbird would have had the the biggest crowd and can charge highest price. But they don’t. Instead, people are drawn to resorts that has a lot of amenities, in regions with CONSISTANT snow record.

Not powder day record. Just average snow depth.
    Last edited by abc; Feb 9, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I quite your situation. I was just pointing out your assumption on others’ position was far off from reality.

Powder days have very little to do with where people choose to ski. If it were for powder days, Alta and Snowbird would have had the the biggest crowd and can charge highest price. But they don’t. Instead, people are drawn to resorts that has a lot of amenities, in regions with CONSISTANT snow record.

Not powder day record. Just average snow depth.
    Actually I think we are saying the same thing about the snow...you are seizing on my use of the word "powder", the point I was trying to make revolved around consistent snow conditions. But I am also quite certain that many eastern skiers do in fact go west powder hunting and I'm sure there are many who fly out on the drop of a hat to do so.

Do not underestimate the lure of the best snow on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Actually I think we are saying the same thing about the snow...you are seizing on my use of the word "powder", the point I was trying to make revolved around consistent snow conditions. But I am also quite certain that many eastern skiers do in fact go west powder hunting and I'm sure there are many who fly out on the drop of a hat to do so.

Do not underestimate the lure of the best snow on Earth.
    Agree that we’re talking about different side of the same coin.

People who plan vacation months in advance go west to get good odd of ... just SNOW! They’re not primary looking for powder.

The “powder chasers” are not the ones planning their vacation months ahead. They only jump on a plane when they see a storm coming. It’s usually an expensive endeavor. But some are in the position to do so due to special circumstances (including being wealthy)

I was at one time a powder chaser, because I travel for work so much I can fly on frequent flier miles at the drop of a hat. Until I changed job and eventually used up all my miles (actually I sold some of them miles to finance my lift tickets). Now I’m a vacationer who plan trip in advance knowing full well I will have guarantee of plenty of snow but not looking for guarantee of “powder”.

I’ve been there, both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I’ve been there, both sides.
    Me too.

I don't consider myself a powder chaser, those are the people who fly somewhere/anywhere for a few days to catch a storm. That's different from someone who drives to select areas in the same geographic region.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    My non-skiing wife is amazed at how expensive this sport can be.

Top 10 Most Expensive Lift Tickets In The USA [2019]:
    1. Vail/Beaver Creek – $209
    2. Breckenridge — $189
    3. Deer Valley — $180
    4. Steamboat | Aspen | Park City| Mammoth — $179
    5. Copper Mountain | Whistler Blackcomb — $178
    6. Winter Park | Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows | Keystone — $169
    7. Heavenly — $164
    8. Jackson Hole — $162
    9. Northstar — $150
    10. Sun Valley — $149

compared to 2016:
    1. Vail/Beaver Creek- $175
    2. Breckenridge- $164
    3. Steamboat- $159
    4. Aspen- $149
    5. Winter Park/Copper Mountain- $144
    6. Northstar at Tahoe- $140
    7. Squaw/Alpine- $139
    8. Keystone/Heavenly- $135
    9. Jackson Hole- $130
    10. Deer Valley- $126

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...e-lift-ticket/
    I think we might have talked about this. This really is irrelevant since most folks don't buy regular day tickets anymore. Most, if not all, of these areas are part of a multi-mountain pass program. UN clickbait unfortunately.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

figured out the % increase. deer valley wins!

Deer Valley 180 126 30%
    Keystone 169 135 20%
    Jackson Hole 162 130 20%
    Copper Mountain 178 144 19%
    Squaw Valley 169 139 18%
    Alpine Meadows 169 139 18%
    Heavenly 164 135 18%
    Aspen 179 149 17%
    Vail/Beaver Creek 209 175 16%
    Winter Park 169 144 15%
    Breckenridge 189 164 13%
    Steamboat 179 159 11%
    Northstar 150 140 7%

shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I think we might have talked about this. This really is irrelevant since most folks don't buy regular day tickets anymore. Most, if not all, of these areas are part of a multi-mountain pass program. UN clickbait unfortunately.
    Indeed, the walk up window price is as irrelevant as the “rack rate” printed on the door of hotels.

It’s rare anyone pays that rate. It’s primary function is to be used as the denominator on the “% off” of the price people actually pay.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    No, the multi mountain pass was born and thus these ridiculous day rates
    This; the folks doing 4D mental gymnastics trying to figure out the reason why ski resorts "need" higher prices of late, arent getting it.

The day rate is an artificial means to "force" people to the passes.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

The question I've pondered, and interestingly I've never so much as heard this even postulated or discussed anywhere, is, has there been intercompany price collusion?

IPC is very difficult to prove, and given the ski industry isn't exactly telecom or something, I dont see much motivation to explore it, but I do find the uniformity and the timeline of this all odd enough to at least consider the possibility.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information