• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most expensive lift tickets

Edd

I’ve got a Steamboat trip coming in late March and I’m praying that the Ikon goes on sale before then and I can use it for Steamboat this spring. Otherwise, I’ll be dropping around $600 on tix just for myself.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jaytrem

I’ve got a Steamboat trip coming in late March and I’m praying that the Ikon goes on sale before then and I can use it for Steamboat this spring. Otherwise, I’ll be dropping around $600 on tix just for myself.

I'm in a similar situation with Squaw, so I'll be praying right along with you. I know they'll be on sale by the time I'm out there, just don't know if they'll include the end of 18/19 on the pass. Would be more confident if last year wasn't the first year of Ikon. The good news is I can ski elsewhere if it isn't, the bad is I'll have 2 kids with me, so multiply stuff by 3 (minus kids prices).

As for Utah (SLC area), seems like things have just exploded out there since the last time I was there. Maybe it's just too easy to get to, and a lot of people who liked skiing there moved there. Would like to get back there one of these days, but it's been definitely dropping down on my to-do list.

Edd

I'm in a similar situation with Squaw, so I'll be praying right along with you. I know they'll be on sale by the time I'm out there, just don't know if they'll include the end of 18/19 on the pass. Would be more confident if last year wasn't the first year of Ikon. The good news is I can ski elsewhere if it isn't, the bad is I'll have 2 kids with me, so multiply stuff by 3 (minus kids prices)

Enjoy your trip. Tahoe is my fave western destination, although Aspen comes close. Squaw is simply awesome but I strongly recommend checking out Homewood and Sierra-at-Tahoe for local mountains. God, I love that area.

flakeydog

Western resorts are typically destination resorts (as are some eastern ones, but not as much). The day ticket is a reflection of the revenue per day they need to get out of each visitor. Day trippers will drop the $150-200 on a ticket. Stay 3-4 days and yes, it gets cheaper for a ticket but now revenue is generated from lodging, meals, bar, etc. One way or another they get that $150-200/day/guest.

Disney employs a similar model. One day and it's $100+ but you stay 4 days or 7 days or more, the incremental day ticket price is negligible. They know that longer a guest stays, more revenue is generated. These pass collectives essentially give you the skiing for free (or 1/2 price, or whatever) realizing that you can't make money unless you get the bodies on the hill.

Smellytele

Western resorts are typically destination resorts (as are some eastern ones, but not as much). The day ticket is a reflection of the revenue per day they need to get out of each visitor. Day trippers will drop the $150-200 on a ticket. Stay 3-4 days and yes, it gets cheaper for a ticket but now revenue is generated from lodging, meals, bar, etc. One way or another they get that $150-200/day/guest.

Disney employs a similar model. One day and it's $100+ but you stay 4 days or 7 days or more, the incremental day ticket price is negligible. They know that longer a guest stays, more revenue is generated. These pass collectives essentially give you the skiing for free (or 1/2 price, or whatever) realizing that you can't make money unless you get the bodies on the hill.

Neither get that from me as I never stay on property at ski areas or Disney. They may get my lunch money but on vacations I have a eat only 1 meal out a day rule. Usually Airbnb or timeshare(didn't buy it, got it free) so have kitchen.

jaytrem

Enjoy your trip. Tahoe is my fave western destination, although Aspen comes close. Squaw is simply awesome but I strongly recommend checking out Homewood and Sierra-at-Tahoe for local mountains. God, I love that area.

Thanks, had a great day at Homewood about 10 years ago. 4 feet of fresh but had to miss opening bell to pick up our marriage license!!! Powder lasted all day anyway and the marriage is still going good too.

BenedictGomez

As for Utah (SLC area), seems like things have just exploded out there since the last time I was there. Maybe it's just too easy to get to, and a lot of people who liked skiing there moved there. Would like to get back there one of these days, but it's been definitely dropping down on my to-do list.

If you think it's bad now, I imagine the fact Utah is predicted to be the 3rd-fastest growing state in America (TX, CO) for the next 25 years, isn't going to help any.

Fastest-growing-states.jpg

Bird/Alta had been bad before Icon & LCC can't be all Icon driven, you only get 7 days max on Icon.

What if the locals are buying ICON in big numbers?

If thousands of locals bought IKON passes, that, multiplied by 7, could be a huge skier visit number.

abc

What if the locals are buying ICON in big numbers?

If thousands of locals bought IKON passes, that, multiplied by 7, could be a huge skier visit number.
I doubt it would change much.

The local are either NOT going to ski, or they ski in ... Alta/Snowbird/Brighton/Solitude!

Will they ski more because it's "one low price"? Possibly.

But if you look at Epic pass data (sorry I don't have the link, but I heard bits and piece of it as Vail collects all that info), there's a group who ski a lot. They always ski a lot of days anyway. There's a group that only ski so few days that they barely break even (or NOT break even!). They still only ski a few days!!!

Now, the population explosion of Utah, that's a completely different matter!

delco714

Recently spent $91 on a Killington lift ticket. I had not been in maybe 5 years because K is just not on my radar. It hurt to spend it but I had a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Sugarloaf was more two years ago. Hahahaha and that's a garbage dump

Edd

I'm in a similar situation with Squaw, so I'll be praying right along with you. I know they'll be on sale by the time I'm out there, just don't know if they'll include the end of 18/19 on the pass. Would be more confident if last year wasn't the first year of Ikon.

Ikon details released for next season.

If you’re going to Squaw Apr 8th or later looks like you’re in luck.

Steamboat appears to not be offering spring benefits so I am well and truly screwed on lift ticket prices.

jaytrem

Ikon details released for next season.

If you’re going to Squaw Apr 8th or later looks like you’re in luck.

Steamboat appears to not be offering spring benefits so I am well and truly screwed on lift ticket prices.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy that my gamble paid off. Now if they would just keep June open an extra week (and count that as Mammoth on the pass).

Any chance you can more part, or all, of your trip to Winter Park?

Edd

Yeah, I'm pretty happy that my gamble paid off. Now if they would just keep June open an extra week (and count that as Mammoth on the pass).

Any chance you can more part, or all, of your trip to Winter Park?

No, we’re committed to Steamboat. There’s 6 of us and we’ve rented a place and I very much want to explore it.

If I ski 5 days for the week I’m there, I’ll drop over $800 for myself. The good news is my wife gets industry discounts, the direct flights there were less than $600 roundtrip for the two of us, and we’re splitting any rental car costs with others. I’ll just have to rationalize the hell out of this one.

I’ve tried Craigslist and eBay but no luck. Maybe I’ll come up with something.