• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread - The Presidential Edition! 2/16-17

Jully

The good news is, it was supposed to start raining around 1pm, and that isnt happening yet in n.VT. Rainline currently ends just east of BTV.

Radar is showing a nice transition to snow still. Southern NH (not that this was ever in question to not) is getting pure rain though.

BenedictGomez

Radar is showing a nice transition to snow still.

Speaking of radar, if you're driving through Vermont today, either don't speed too much or have your radar detector working, there just might be numerous speed traps in place.

skifree

no shit. last few years i'm driving on eggshells in ski country.
the wild west days are over.

tnt1234

okemo summit cam looks like snow.

I guess we'll wait for teh am reports and make a call...

slatham

okemo summit cam looks like snow.

I guess we'll wait for teh am reports and make a call...

At Bromley we had 1 1/2” this morning. Nothing during day. The a sprinkle or two as front came in but quickly to snow but just a dusting. No rain. Did get a bit warm mid 30’s for s few hours but by 9 was below freezing again.

urungus

5 inches in 24 hrs at Stowe..
Windy as a mofo...though

And yet Upper Starr/Liftline/National/Goat all closed, even though Smuggs, MRG, and Sugarbush are 100% open. Heading up to northern Vermont tomorrow but guess I will be skipping Stowe.

kingslug

Yeah..lot of closures..lot of ice but thats the usual for the tops of the front 4...welcome to Vail
And the dont ski the woods signs are a nice touch

Glenn

We came up this AM...smooth sailing. How was the volume on the roads Friday evening?

BenedictGomez

welcome to Vail
And the dont ski the woods signs are a nice touch

There are actual signs? I cant believe they put out FB & TWTR warnings telling people not to ski the woods. I know someone who skied the woods (which were 100% open) at Smuggs both days, and he said the woods were skiing great, and he was shocked when I told him Stowe closed their glades.

BenedictGomez

My PDW Saturday crowd avoidance strategy worked pretty well today. Only problem is I'm tired as hell from skiing moguls all day. I dont know if it's always like this, but 1/2 of the mountain at Mont Sutton was ungroomed and there were moguls on every trail. Plentiful tree skiing too. I assume the easier side of the mountain must have been groomed, but I never went over there. From my wife's family in VT, it's literally the same drive time there as it is to Jay Peak, so I'll definitely be back.