• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread - The Presidential Edition! 2/16-17

Jully

This might be one of those times where I make a Go/No-go decision on Friday after the 12z runs.

Agreed here.

Likely making mine Saturday. Already in NH Saturday for some boot fitting, so I'll be deciding whether to just drive back home for a weekend or keep going for some skiing.

crazy

Forecasted snow totals have dropped in the last couple of hours in the Whites and Southern Vt. but are holding strong in Northern Vt.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ski Jiminy Peak tomorrow afternoon...probably 10am-6pm shift and enjoy the new snow. Then slog up to Turn of River Lodge Tuesday evening and ski Killington Wednesday.

Yes, you read that right...twisty MA/VT backroads as the storm rapidly intensifies. I'm crazy and accept it.

gladerider

josh fox says the outlook for MRG this weekend improved a bit overnight. i think i will wait until the Wednesday model runs to be either optimistic or pessimistic. i am heading up to sugarbush for the weekend. crossing my fingers.....

BenedictGomez

josh fox says the outlook for MRG this weekend improved a bit overnight. i think i will wait until the Wednesday model runs to be either optimistic or pessimistic. i am heading up to sugarbush for the weekend. crossing my fingers.....

Not saying he's wrong in this case as it has improved some, but be cautious of that guy's holiday weekend forecasts.

Glenn

Things are looking better for Friday. It's trending cooler with lower precip amounts...and moving out quicker. Right now, NWS Albany has the changeover line just south of the Southern Greens. Tentatively good for the ski areas. And should be all wrapped up by the time the masses get to the lifts on Saturday AM. :lol:

tnt1234

OK - booked a room in Manchester. If Friday is no rain, finally will get to Magic Mountain!

If weather is poor, we'll ski Okemo or Broomley Saturday for the snow making and grooming, and maybe Mt. Snow on the way home sunday.

Yeehaw....

tnt1234

Wonder if its worth going up thursday night..

When it coms to VT skiing weather, at some point you just have to go and see what happens. If you have friday free, and are planning to be there for the weekend anyway, I would go thursday night.

Might be good, might suck. But hey, you'll be in stowe ahead of the Sat. crowd. Not a bad way to spend the day no matter what.

BenedictGomez

I've never been to Mont Sutton, but I'm pondering the idea of fleeing into Canada to avoid the hoards of PDW Saturday, which, IMO is the most crowded day of the entire ski season.

Has anyone does this? Wondering if going to Canada can help avoid insane American holiday crowds.

abc

I've never been to Mont Sutton, but I'm pondering the idea of fleeing into Canada to avoid the hoards of PDW Saturday, which, IMO is the most crowded day of the entire ski season.

Has anyone does this? Wondering if going to Canada can help avoid insane American holiday crowds.
I went to Tremblen last year on that same weekend.

But it was also a school holiday up there last year. So quiet it wasn’t. Don’t know if it’s school holiday again this year.

I can’t say how it compares with President weekend in VT, because I rarely ski in VT that weekend. But I’d say it’s not super crowded. Busy gor sure, but not insane.

kingslug

Well they missed the low snowfall total by..an inch. Stowe showing 7 inches..that is not very helpful. So much for 8 to 15.
More on the way so I hope it does something...that ice stays around forever. :(

Glenn

I imagine driving anywhere Friday evening will be busy with the snowfall midweek and the holiday weekend.