• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread - The Presidential Edition! 2/16-17

tumbler

I've never been to Mont Sutton, but I'm pondering the idea of fleeing into Canada to avoid the hoards of PDW Saturday, which, IMO is the most crowded day of the entire ski season.

I think the Saturday of MLK is the most crowded.

mulva

I'm seeing about 4mm of rain after maybe an inch of snow for Killington and southern VT. It's not catastrophic. A week ago I was thinking of not even bothering with this weekend.

tumbler

I think the hope is that it stays snow at elevation. It might be on the wet side but better than rain. I don't care what it does in the valley.

BenedictGomez

Crap. Does it at least end with snow?

Where snow is possible, maybe an inch per GFS & NAM, but you'd have to be far north. Nothing on the Canuck.

And I agree, it's close enough on the GFS & NAM to hope elevation keeps it all snow, but the Canuck is 38/39 even into Canada.

BenedictGomez

The fact Stowe is telling people to stay out of the trees despite 7" of snow, is not encouraging:

our safety is our priority: Woods skiing is not recommended at this time. The surface underneath any new snow on ungroomed terrain is variable and may be very icy. Please use extreme caution.

machski

Strange. Killington reported 10" and they've been dropping ropes on naturals and trees all day.
Killington also switched to a sleet mix Midway through the storm according to their report. So that will increase the density of the new cover and pack it in better than just 7 inches of fluff Stowe probably got.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Killington also switched to a sleet mix Midway through the storm according to their report. So that will increase the density of the new cover and pack it in better than just 7 inches of fluff Stowe probably got.

I read that the snow in Stowe was actually very dense, not powdery at all.

BenedictGomez

Strange. Killington reported 10" and they've been dropping ropes on naturals and trees all day.

Jay Peak reported 8 to 10, and already had by far the best base, and even they said "mid mountain trees are skiing the best", which to me is code for, terrain that is steeper and not holding snow may still icy. Will need to see some various trip reports.

JimG.

Staff member
Jay Peak reported 8 to 10, and already had by far the best base, and even they said "mid mountain trees are skiing the best", which to me is code for, terrain that is steeper and not holding snow may still icy. Will need to see some various trip reports.

After skiing the trashed out exits on Anarchy and Julio over a week ago before the rain and warmth I would have to agree with that exact evaluation for K.

Jully

Word on how So. NH did? Thinking of taking a half day at work tomorrow and jumping up to Crotched if it's not a sleety mess.

chuckstah

Word on how So. NH did? Thinking of taking a half day at work tomorrow and jumping up to Crotched if it's not a sleety mess.

I skied Crotched today. They got about 6 inches, very dense snow. Everything skied good with only UFO and Jupiter's left ungroomed. Solstice glade was skiable, and will get better with more traffic. Being the first one on ungroomed sections was not ideal. The snow was starting to set up a bit when I left at 4 ish.

gregnye

I was there today. The naturals were pretty decent but the trees were horrible. At least "Chop Chop". More like Scrape-scrape on ice/rocks.