• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread - The Presidential Edition! 2/16-17

tnt1234

High stakes table this week with lots of action!

Big storm rolling in midweek. The Pros will be ditching work and getting it while they can Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, leaving the rank amateurs to face the eternal NE question-how bad will it rain this weekend?

Some indications that the forecast will improve but will it be enough?

Who's going where? Who's sitting this hand out? Who thinks this holiday will be a total bust? Who thinks it will be a surprise great couple of days?

Ante up and deal the cards!

tnt1234

Me, I'm dragging my feet again....Was supposed to do two days in s. vt. Maybe Magic>Okemo (Trying yet again for a first day at magic! And i have the epic pass and Okemo is not blacked out...)

Haven't booked anything yet. Might need to go further north. But rooms are getting scarce....

cdskier

My cousin and his family are using my condo in VT this weekend so I'm out for VT. Made plans to head up to the Finger Lakes to visit wineries instead, but do have the option to day trip Monday to the Cats if conditions were right (not looking good at the moment for the Cats though).

For N-VT, I've seen some positive trends for the weekend, but need to see that continue more and see how the models look over the next day or so as they get a better handle on the system. Still a bit early to say what will happen. Lots of room for this to go either way. At least some different outcomes are still in play though.

tnt1234

My cousin and his family are using my condo in VT this weekend so I'm out for VT. Made plans to head up to the Finger Lakes to visit wineries instead, but do have the option to day trip Monday to the Cats if conditions were right (not looking good at the moment for the Cats though).

For N-VT, I've seen some positive trends for the weekend, but need to see that continue more and see how the models look over the next day or so as they get a better handle on the system. Still a bit early to say what will happen. Lots of room for this to go either way. At least some different outcomes are still in play though.

Any chance for S.Vt in what you are looking at? or do I need to aim higher?

sankaty

Latest Euro that just rolled out is much colder. A quick look shows mostly snow Kton north. Too early for specifics, and could easily be wrong, but an encouraging sign after showing a much rainier solution over the past several days.

tnt1234

Latest Euro that just rolled out is much colder. A quick look shows mostly snow Kton north. Too early for specifics, and could easily be wrong, but an encouraging sign after showing a much rainier solution over the past several days.

Good news.

Bad news for my drive.

Love to see that trend a little more for snow to teh south.

BenedictGomez

Reading reports that Stowe is in about as terrible & dangerous an icy condition as eyes have ever seen. Sounds like the potential 8" to 12" coming isnt just welcome, but pretty much mandatory.

urungus

Reading reports that Stowe is in about as terrible & dangerous an icy condition as eyes have ever seen. Sounds like the potential 8" to 12" coming isnt just welcome, but pretty much mandatory.

Where are you seeing that? Reports at https://www.stowesnowreport.com don’t seem too bad. Would be good to get an additional source of reports as Stowe no longer have written narrative in their snow report.

BenedictGomez

Where are you seeing that?

From a local poster on another forum, not from an official snow report. I believe it given pretty much everywhere is apparently a hockey rink, and you had that fatality yesterday at Jay Peak. MRG's report calls it "stiff", etc.. Apparently the woods in Vermont are like a glass pond.

drjeff

Reports from multiple friends of mine who were up at Stowe today with their kids racing in the U16 VT State Super G Championship, is that the hill is firm, but skiing very well where the groomers did their thing. The trees though, are in need of the incoming storm, as the most common phrase I read in the text thread among those in my usual ski group who are up there today was "glacial" and that's from a guy who thinks that a hockey rink, fresh off a pass by a zamboni, is a manageable surface! :wink:

Boxtop Willie

cdskier...if you're heading to finger lakes region, hit Bristol for a day. Both my kids race for Hobart and they say conditions are spectacular...lake effect snow just keeps dumping. It's not a bad area for being in the the middle of God-awful nothin'. I do one or two days there each year with the boys...always a good time

cdskier

cdskier...if you're heading to finger lakes region, hit Bristol for a day. Both my kids race for Hobart and they say conditions are spectacular...lake effect snow just keeps dumping. It's not a bad area for being in the the middle of God-awful nothin'. I do one or two days there each year with the boys...always a good time

Bristol is a bit out of my way as I'll be around the western side of Cayuga and the eastern side of Seneca with a pretty full day planned on Saturday, then a drive home Sunday from Watkins Glen. I skied Bristol back in college though all the time and always had a good time there. (I went to college in Rochester). When I was creating my itinerary, I did actually toy with the idea of re-visiting Bristol, but it was just a bit too far from the area I'll be in.

Smellytele

here is an interesting forecast- snow during the day but rain at nightFriday

A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Very windy.
Friday Night
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

urungus

here is an interesting forecast- snow during the day but rain at nightFriday

A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Very windy.
Friday Night
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Forecast for where?

tnt1234

Bristol is a bit out of my way as I'll be around the western side of Cayuga and the eastern side of Seneca with a pretty full day planned on Saturday, then a drive home Sunday from Watkins Glen. I skied Bristol back in college though all the time and always had a good time there. (I went to college in Rochester). When I was creating my itinerary, I did actually toy with the idea of re-visiting Bristol, but it was just a bit too far from the area I'll be in.

huh. Any chance greek peak is enjoying lake effect snow?