• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you keep track of # of days...

jimk

Tracking days skiing has nothing to do with the cost for me. I just like comparing year to year how I'm doing and try to set personal goals (mainly with skiing more vertical every year).

I don't track days for any other activities as there are no other activities that I do on such a consistent basis like I do skiing.

I'm kind of like above. I'm not into a lot of personal ski stats except for days per season and total number of ski areas visited lifetime (about 90). For over 50 years I have kept track of ski days in my head during the season, but then forget as summer rolls along, except to know that my all time highs were 45 in 1976 and 50 in 2015. In between for about 15 years when my 4 kids were young I was lucky to get 10 days a season, didn't have a season pass anywhere, and it was easy to keep track of days.

For me and a lot of skiers the number of ski days per season is a very strong indicator of "how serious" the person is about skiing/boarding. It may not be a foolproof measure of skill, but when someone tells me they ski 20, 30, or 50+ ski days per winter it's clear they have a big commitment to the sport like myself, and not a casual participant.

I kind of cringe at the "how many days have you skied this season" threads because I've never lived less than about 90 mins from a ski area, so it's hard for me to rack up big numbers. I hope that's going to change soon. In the past a high percent of my ski days were full days since I drove 2-3 hrs to get to the place I was skiing.

I'm impressed with Dr Jeff's consistently high number of ski days per season, esp. since he is a family man too. That's double commitment:)

I do a fair amount of biking in offseason, don't track total bike miles, just how long I'm riding on a specific day, although sometimes I ride for a period of time like an hour out and an hour back. I ride a slow hybrid bike mainly for exercise and fresh air. I also bike commuted about 50% of the time to work each summer since 2006.

Last edited:

abc

Keep it coming! The reason why you track ski DAYS.

I don't track DAYS largely due to my cycling background. (after all, "summer" is about 8-9 months long while winter is only 4-5) So I don't feel DAY is a good unit to count my commitment to it. Some days I just don't ski a lot of runs if condition is crappy. Even if I drove a long way to the mountain, I would leave and check out the village or just have a really long brunch... Those "days" I don't feel like counting as DAYS.

(this happens a lot more often than some care to count:
1-say I'm up at Killington for the weekend. Saturday could be excellent and I ski bell-to-bell. But Sunday it starts with a drizzle at first chair and pour at 11am!. I would only ski a few runs and then go have a stack of pancake for brunch before driving back! Do I count 2 days when I really only skied 1 day plus a couple runs?
2- there were some years when I was biking A LOT. My fitness was so good I ski non-stop the whole weekend, or even a full week! Some years though, my fitness wasn't up for a full day, especially not consecutively. So my "days" were 10-3 with an hour and half lunch break :oops:
3- lately, it happens more like, I ski an hour or two. Log on the computer, do some work, REAL work, I mean. Then ski another hour, or two, or three... but some days, work was intense and I didn't get to ski later)

So, a lot of "days" may really be partial days... :(

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
No but for many years I kept all of my lift tickets. In a clean up binge I threw them out :evil: Wish I hadn't .

This thread has inspired me , I track flight time and max altitudes and note weather so as to jog my memory when I read my logbook .
I think I'll start doing similar with skiing. My memory isn't that good so maybe this will help?

I run ski tracks 3-4 times a year

Last edited:
Data is relative. The longer you track the info, the more consistent and baseline the information becomes.

I use Ski Tracks and have for 4 or 5 years now. I also have a Fitbit that tracks steps and other information, but have no real idea how Fitbit tracks my steps while I'm skiing. What I do know is that after 5 years of tracking this data while skiing I do have some sort of baseline.

I transfer the data to an Excel spreadsheet to track vert, #runs, miles skied, cost, slope degree, speed and various other "notes and weather" info. My point is that after multiple years of tracking this info it creates the ability to compare year over year. I also track my golf scores, but that's a subject for another thread.....

tumbler

And is it some requirement of IKON for the thing to be displayed outside your jacket or pants? All i see now are IKON passes everywhere at the Bush and the season pass holders have the card in their pockets.

machski

At SB, no, you can keep the Ikon in a pocket. Same with Killington. But many Alterra resorts still scan the bar code so it must be out and visible. Boyne resorts you actually have to take it to a ticket window and get a day ticket (so you don't have to have it out skiing). So the answer is, depends where they ski the most.
And is it some requirement of IKON for the thing to be displayed outside your jacket or pants? All i see now are IKON passes everywhere at the Bush and the season pass holders have the card in their pockets.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

ive been keeping count since about 2006, which is when skiing became super important to me and more than just a slight hobby

i lament my loss of my original ski tracks app data. my current app has 3 years of complete data, including this year, and one year of incomplete data.

if my phone dies for cold weather, i put a note on the day that it was incomplete tracking

i like to achieve 1,000,000 vertical, which i was able to do for the first time last year (hit on 50th day, skied 53 days, pacing exactly at the 20k per day i need to hit a million in 50 days).

this year i am at 23 days and 456k vertical, putting me 4k behind pace. i have at least 2 days where my phone died, so i have definitely skied over 460k so far. i also had one day at sugarbush with a measly 8k. i needed to play good boyfriend after my girlfriend had a major meltdown on the icy slope.

so i'm just about pacing for my million, but i fear that i won't get my 50 days

i have 7 days next week in BC (30 total), 9 guaranteed days in march including 3 at silverton (39). we are dogsitting one weekend so that will probably be a wash. then i have about 6 guaranteed in april, before my car lease ends on april 28. i dont intend to get a new car until late summer, so any may days will be rental cars, or friends driving, or borrowing from my folks. all seem like a pain in the ass for may.

gf and i just booked a 10 day yosemite-san francisco-maybe big sur trip for june 28-july 7. mammoth just today announced their intention to be open thru july 4. i texted my gf. she was not amused. at all.

abc

gf and i just booked a 10 day yosemite-san francisco-maybe big sur trip for june 28-july 7. mammoth just today announced their intention to be open thru july 4. i texted my gf. she was not amused. at all.
Tell your gf that on good authority you’re cutting out Big Sur to go to Mammoth!

I’m not kidding. And it’s besides skiing. You’ll enjoy the high country more than the coast. Most people do. Mono Lake, for example, is on the way to Mammoth.

Then, maybe you can do a morning quickie at Mammoth!!!

(I used to live in California. Had gone to Mammoth many times, in the summer! )

KustyTheKlown

she'd kill me. i dictate all time away from work and travel expenditure from november to may, along with 75% of my paid time off. she gets june to october. full decision making. compromise. i'm glad to have a significant other who understands my need to ski 40-50 days a year.

i also dont want to be the weirdo traveling with ski bags domestically in june and july

i work for an australian company. one of my colleagues from aus is here this week for some meetings. he did a week in alta before coming to nyc. respek.