• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you keep track of # of days...

abc

...you mountain (or road) bike, hike, or fish? ...

Or the # of days you play golf, tennis etc? Diving?

The thread on “High price of lift ticket” got me thinking...

I don’t play golf. But I do bike and hike, A LOT. Yet in the circle of people who do those activities, I rarely hear people talk about how many days they hike or bike.

Ever since I started skiing, I heard people talk about # of days they ski! Why is that? Is it because lift ticket are typically sold per DAY? Even season pass holders calculate their cost by dividing the pass on the total number of days they use it.

If so, what about golf, tennis or diving, which has fixed cost with each DAY one does it?

Or, was lift tickets had always been “expensive” in terms of people’s disposable income? I know it was for me, even when I started out (I learned as an adult, not as a child, so I had to pay for it myself).

Glenn

We keep track of number of days through the Ski Tracks app. More or less because it counts days for us. We only need 4 days to break even on our passes, so after that, it's all gravy.

We used to try to make it to the hill as much as we could; two days a weekend, every day on a long weekend. It became like a job. We'd go back to work to rest. Things got a lot better when we started skiing on Sunday and spending Saturday enjoying other VT winter activities.

Edd

I track them because I don’t just ski one mountain or even one set of them on a pass. It’s good to have the data to track your spending a bit. Most years I have two season passes and it can be hard to remember how many times I’ve skied which mountain.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

HD333

I used to track days when we were “all in” as a family. The past few years other activities have reduced our days on the hill, as a result I don’t count anymore because I don’t want to know, or admit defeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

Tracking days skiing has nothing to do with the cost for me. I just like comparing year to year how I'm doing and try to set personal goals (mainly with skiing more vertical every year).

I don't track days for any other activities as there are no other activities that I do on such a consistent basis like I do skiing.

Bumpsis

If I were to buy a season pass (single resort or multi mountain), of course, I'd keep track of my usage activity, just to see if it's making sense for me financially. I keep track of my biking miles and average speed per ride, but that's mostly to strive for progress (riding longer, faster). As to hiking, hmm... interesting observation by abc, I don't really track it all that closely. But I do track it, keeping a journal. Every hike is a different and special experience, worth being remembered.

jaytrem

I only keep track of my life time total at each ski area. For Mount Snow I just throw in a quick estimate each year. Sometimes wish I kept a list of each day. I'm pretty good at remembering the detauls of a ski day if I pull a lift ticket out of my big bag o' tickets. But any days I skied on a pass would be more lumped together in my head.

For other sports/stuff I don't bother. I used to keep track of roller-coasters ridden. Now I just do that for my kids in case they want to do that themselves later.

drjeff

As my signature on AZ shows, yup, I keep track, both on a season to season basis and also on a long term basis as well.

In addition to my count in my signature here on AZ, I also keep a daily exercise log book where I note my annual ski days in it as well. I will admit that I am motivated by seeing the numbers and totally need my daily exercise log book to help get me out of bed some mornings and get moving before my work day begins!

abc

I used to track days when we were “all in” as a family. The past few years other activities have reduced our days on the hill, as a result I don’t count anymore because I don’t want to know, or admit defeat.
I'm the other way around.

When I first started buying season passes, I used to track my DAYS, and feel good when my "per day" cost went below $50/day. But I went many more days beyond that. And I stop counting. Partly because I feel guilty about some of my "days" were only a couple hours or just 5-6 runs (to be fair, some of those were long runs in big mountains out west). .

I don't keep track of my mileage on bike either. But if I do, at least those are more "realistic". A 100 mile "day" is twice as much as a 50 mile "day"!

MJP

As a matter of fact I do. I have a journal that I have logged every ski day since 1981.
Location, snow conditions, weather and event info. But I'm almost out of space. Neat to look back at lift ticket prices.

xlr8r

I have been keeping track of cost, days, and runs for about ten years now. Then I can extrapolate things like cost/day, cost/run, average runs/day etc. Last 2 years i have also started to keep track of vertical as obviously runs can vary their vertical by a lot. I do use the skitracks app, but I find it has a lot of error in it when it comes to vertical. So instead I look up the vertical of each lift i ride and calculate it that way. I use the skitracks app to look up how many times I rode each lift each day. I keep all of this on what has now become a rather extensive excel spreadsheet. So for instance this year I have:

10 days
165 runs
16.5 runs/day
$693.95 pass and ticket cost
$69.40 cost/day
$4.21 cost/run
182906 vert
18290.6 vert/day
1108.5 vert/run

My best season cost wise was last year getting down to $25.56/day and $1.34/run. I am not on pace to beat that this year.

tumbler

My pass keeps track of it now for me, I just have to look at the screen on the RFID gate.

BenedictGomez

I don't really track days, the only reason I know is because some people here are big on that concept, so it forces me to think about it from reading this forum, but if this forum didn't exist I wouldn't count my ski days.

icecoast1

Unfortunately my day count is so low these days, it's easy to track the # of days

Glenn

I keep track of data for walks during lunch or runs after work. That's mostly to see the distance, pace and heart rate info.

JimG.

Staff member
I like to keep a log to see where and how many days I skied at various places. I can look and see gaps in my days where weather sucked and I can also see bunching of dates where conditions were excellent.
I do not keep track of the number of days I fish but do keep a log of fish caught, species, and pics of noteworthy catches. I post only the photos here.