• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kids Seasonal Programs

bizarrefaith

Next year we’ll be looking to get my oldest (5) into a seasonal development program. This was his third winter on skis but his first taking lessons. We weren’t sure how into lessons he’d be and didn’t want to commit him for the whole winter so we’ve just done lessons week to week. Of course he ended up loving it and wanting to do it every day he could so we’ve already probably spent as much as a seasonal program would have cost [emoji849].

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad!) with any of the seasonal offerings in NH/VT? Any input greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smac75

Next year we’ll be looking to get my oldest (5) into a seasonal development program. This was his third winter on skis but his first taking lessons. We weren’t sure how into lessons he’d be and didn’t want to commit him for the whole winter so we’ve just done lessons week to week. Of course he ended up loving it and wanting to do it every day he could so we’ve already probably spent as much as a seasonal program would have cost [emoji849].

Anyone have any experiences (good or bad!) with any of the seasonal offerings in NH/VT? Any input greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love the blazer program at Sugarbush. We've been lucky with my kids being with the same kids for the past number of years. It's not for the faint of heart however- they take those kids EVERYWHERE!

drjeff

My kids, now 15 and 13 are full products of the Mount Snow kids programs.

From daycare to the 3yr old Cub Camp program to the 4-6yr old Snow Camp to the 7+ yr old Mountain Camp and now multiple years on the alpine race team.

My wife and I have been thrilled with the programs they offer, and the quality of skiers with a love of the sport they are/have

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

We love the blazer program at Sugarbush. We've been lucky with my kids being with the same kids for the past number of years. It's not for the faint of heart however- they take those kids EVERYWHERE!

I love being on the lift with some of the young blazers and hearing them start nonchalantly talking about some of the glades they've been skiing and knowing all the names for the off-map ones.

bizarrefaith

Great, thanks! Sugarbush is actually one of the top two mountains (along with Cannon) we were thinking about for non-kid reasons (quality of the mountain overall, distance, and we love the MRV area), so it's nice to hear some feedback from people who've actually had experience with it.

We've done single lessons at quite a few different places, but I feel like it's so hard to judge a seasonal program based on a daily lesson. The daily lessons have been kind of a crapshoot - even with a good instructor, the kids have to get to know each other and the teacher for the first time and the instructor has to spend time figuring out where the kids are at which eats up a lot of time in a 1-2 hour lesson.

WWF-VT

My kids went through the Blazer programs at Sugarbush and IMHO it's one of the best seasonal programs but you need to be sure that you and your son are ready for the commitment.

elks

The mountain dev programs at Crotched are great. For us, it was a very convenient location (75 minutes from MA), easy parking, small family hill feel.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Definitely take a look at MRG's programs. One day options at a fraction of the cost of the bigger mountains. And consistently rated one of the best places for kids to grow up skiing. And when they get a little older the MRG Freeskiing program is second to none in the east.

bizarrefaith

My kids went through the Blazer programs at Sugarbush and IMHO it's one of the best seasonal programs but you need to be sure that you and your son are ready for the commitment.

One of the nice things about the Sugarbush program too is that it full day, but doesn't run as many days as some other programs. The Cannon program runs weekends plus Christmas and February vacation week -- when we often do trips.

One concern I have about the Sugarbush program is that even in the Mini Blazers (5-6) it says kids should "be able to ride a chair lift unassisted." My son definitely can't ride a chair lift unassisted today and I doubt he'll able to fully on his own by the end of the season -- so that's something to inquire about, do they really expect incoming five year olds to be able to ride the chair lift unassisted.