• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Castleton University Skiers Lauded for Heroism

tnt1234

Wow - incredible story. So scary. Those women are heroes.

BenedictGomez

I've never heard of a ski severing the wearer's artery before, I didnt even know that was possible. Severing someone else's artery wouldn't shock me, but to the wearer him/herself, that does surprise me.

mister moose

I've never heard of a ski severing the wearer's artery before, I didnt even know that was possible. Severing someone else's artery wouldn't shock me, but to the wearer him/herself, that does surprise me.
A windmilling ski rarely injures the wearer, but it does happen. I had a cut through ski pants, long underwear, and into my skin.

[FONT="open_sansregular"]"Both Spartan skiers are first-aid certified through Castleton's e-care class."[/FONT]

If you aren't First Aid & CPR trained, do it.

kbroderick

It's become a more significant risk in ski racing with consistently sharper edges (especially with the widespread availability of handheld machines for ceramic tuning). The risk is probably still rather low when wearing normal ski clothes, but uber-sharp edges and GS suits create the potential for serious wounds, particularly if you land on your ski after it comes off your foot.