Castleton University Skiers Lauded for Heroism

AlpineZone

Castleton University Skiers Lauded for Heroism

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    My son is an Alumni and was also on the Ski team. Graduated in 2014. School is underrated!

Wow - incredible story. So scary. Those women are heroes.

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
    SoVT

I've never heard of a ski severing the wearer's artery before, I didnt even know that was possible. Severing someone else's artery wouldn't shock me, but to the wearer him/herself, that does surprise me.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I've never heard of a ski severing the wearer's artery before, I didnt even know that was possible. Severing someone else's artery wouldn't shock me, but to the wearer him/herself, that does surprise me.
    A windmilling ski rarely injures the wearer, but it does happen. I had a cut through ski pants, long underwear, and into my skin.

"Both Spartan skiers are first-aid certified through Castleton's e-care class."

If you aren't First Aid & CPR trained, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It's become a more significant risk in ski racing with consistently sharper edges (especially with the widespread availability of handheld machines for ceramic tuning). The risk is probably still rather low when wearing normal ski clothes, but uber-sharp edges and GS suits create the potential for serious wounds, particularly if you land on your ski after it comes off your foot.

Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Thread Information