• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cold/flu: power through?

legalskier

So this is the third time this season I've been sick (2 colds, 1 flu)- even worse, it's cost me days that turned out to be some of the best in this generally lousy season. How bad do you have to feel not to go? Do you factor in drive time & whether you're with someone? Other factors?
What's the worst you ever felt & still went? Thoughts?

Last edited:

tnt1234

So this is the third time this season I've been sick (2 colds, 1 flu)- even worse, it's cost me days that turned out to be some of the best in this generally lousy season. How bad do you have to feel not to go? Do you factor in drive time & whether you're with someone? Other factors?
Thoughts?

Well, one concern I would have is the drive home. Will you be driving? Will you be awake?

If I had a hotel, or it was close drive, and it's a cold, I would power through. Flu is tough - kind of either you can or you can't, you know?

NYDB

Unless I was uncontrollably puking or Hershey squirting I wouldn't miss a good day because of cold/flu. If MJ can drop 38 on the Jazz with the Flu, I can ride a lift for a day.

Edd

Did a Sugarloaf trip after they’d gotten feet of snow and I was full on sick as a dog. It was worth it. What troubles me is someone sharing a car or hotel room with me and catching what I’ve got.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

legalskier

Unless I was uncontrollably puking or Hershey squirting I wouldn't miss a good day because of cold/flu.

But if you got lost in the bc it makes it easy to track you!
:razz:

Last edited:

Domeskier

My wife and I got sick from some jackass hacking up a lung behind us on a packed ski bus. I'm still angry about it.

drjeff

I had the stomach flu so bad in Utah once that I cancelled the day of cat skiing that my wife had gotten me as a Christmas gift that year!! Ended up in the walk in clinic needing 3 bags of IV fluid and a bunch of compazine (makes you stop vomiting) later on the same evening after I cancelled my cat skiing day!

No way I was going out the next day from that episode!! Just getting out of bed that next morning was a mega ordeal!

During more "normal" cold/flu episodes, depends for me on how reasonable vs bad I feel, what the weather/snow is like that day, and have I been feeling "better" or "worse" in the prior 12hrs or so. That's my criteria for skiing through a cold/flu

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

i was insanely sick with the flu at sugarbush a few years ago. i was going with my dad and my sister, and that's hugely rare as they've both basically stopped skiing in their lives. i didnt tell anyone i was sick until we were halfway up to vermont. i felt like hell, but the skiing was pretty good. i will never forget doing the castle rock hike while feeling like i was about to die.

i suffer from severe migraine about 6 times a year give or take. two seasons ago i was halfway to killington when my initial aura symptoms hit. the drive back home and to killington were the same distance, as i was around the albany area. i took a double dose of my prescription, knocked the debilitating migraine down to manageable headache, and skied. the impact of every single mogul felt like a bowling ball trying to escape from my skull.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I remember a few years ago I was at Pico with a bad cold...beautiful spring day in March with temps in the 30s after a lot of fresh snow the previous week. I couldn't ski more than 500 vertical feet continuously without having to stop. Call me a puss but I wouldn't ski sick unless we're talking full-on powder day. The body just refuses to perform.

machski

A cold I'll power through, tough to say what I would do with Flu as I have been very fortunate to not catch it in the last couple of decades. The only issue for me with a cold is my Eustachian tubes tend to retain fluid for a while so for about a week or 2 during and after the cold, I constantly have to clear my ears at the end of each run (or wait for them to crackle and pop on the lift ride up!).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

Nothing worse than when some sick contagious asshole gets into the gondola or bubble or lodge and starts coughing up a storm. I hope any of you who will go skiing with the flu/bad cold are considerate enough to stay they hell out of the gondi's, bubbles, and lodges. Nobody else wants your germs.....better than that, if you are sick stay the hell home or in your hotel room, dont go spreading your germs.

cdskier

Nothing worse than when some sick contagious asshole gets into the gondola or bubble or lodge and starts coughing up a storm. I hope any of you who will go skiing with the flu/bad cold are considerate enough to stay they hell out of the gondi's, bubbles, and lodges. Nobody else wants your germs.....better than that, if you are sick stay the hell home or in your hotel room, dont go spreading your germs.

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I'm against gondolas and bubbles. I want no part of being stuck in an enclosed space with some stranger's germs...

I hate using mass transit for this same reason and am glad I don't have to do it often.

Smellytele

About 20 years ago I had a little cough so I thought I would power through it with a hike and ski in Tuck's. Well the fresh air did me no good as I ended up with bronchitis and had a deep lung jarring cough for about a month after.

Bumpsis

I think that the decision as to push through the pain of a cold is knowing what you're dealing with. If it's just a "garden variety" viral infection and no fever, sure, you can power through that but you're being a selfish schmuck by sharing your germs. If you're feeling super lousy, why would you even consider getting out of bed if you don't have to?

abc

That's actually one of the biggest reasons I'm against gondolas and bubbles. I want no part of being stuck in an enclosed space with some stranger's germs...

I hate using mass transit for this same reason and am glad I don't have to do it often.
Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!

The body’s immune system needs exercise like our muscles and hearts need workout.

cdskier

Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger!

The body’s immune system needs exercise like our muscles and hearts need workout.

Doesn't mean you should go lick a petri dish filled with H1N1...

You're exposed to enough germs through the normal course of being out in public to "exercise your immune system".