• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Busiest Peak Days and Holiday Days upcoming NH/VT/ME (Feb 15th onward)

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help contribute here to point out the busiest days upcoming at your favorite resorts?
Most resorts do not post peak days and holidays plainly on their website.

The idea: avoid them, if possible.

Killington Peak Days posted on their website:
February 16-24, 2019

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sure.

Every Mountain Everywhere in the United States:
February 16-24, 2019

They all* have the same peak days (Christmas break, MLK weekend, President's week). Follows the kid's school schedules. You won't find much of any variation.

EPB

Look up when Massachusetts school vacation is. Probably that week Killington has identified. NH vacation was the week after when I was growing up there. NH school vacation doesn't move the needle that much though, at least in the Mount Washington Valley. Also check out Quebec school vacation and avoid Jay today week at the very least. Not sure about other N VT places, but Jay used to book up WELL in advance if Quebec vacation.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I just commented in another thread, that IMO opinion the Saturday of PDW is the busiest ski day of the entire season.

Another poster disagreed with me and thinks the Saturday of MLK weekend is the busiest day of the entire season.

In other words, Saturdays of holiday weekends are crowded.

BenedictGomez

check out Quebec school vacation and avoid Jay today week at the very least. Not sure about other N VT places, but Jay used to book up WELL in advance if Quebec vacation.

Oh, good lord yes. I made this mistake once, and from that point on always find out when the Quebecois-larva have the week off and avoid BOTH book-ended weekends (neither is safe!). The line at the Flyer was so long you had to stand sideways, because you were considerably uphill when you entered the line. C'est horrible!

Smuggs gets very busy that week too, but nothing as bad as Jay Peak.

cdskier

I just commented in another thread, that IMO opinion the Saturday of PDW is the busiest ski day of the entire season.

Another poster disagreed with me and thinks the Saturday of MLK weekend is the busiest day of the entire season.

In other words, Saturdays of holiday weekends are crowded.

A lot of people don't even have off MLK, so I don't see why any day of that weekend would be the "busiest" day of the season. PDW on the other hand is a potential long weekend for most people and that Saturday has always been busier than MLK Saturday from what I've seen.

drjeff

Let's put it this way, through at least St Patrick's Day weekend, any "major" resort, if the weather is decent or better, is likely going to be busy each weekend, especially on the Saturday of each weekend.

This coming Saturday in particular if the weather is good, almost always ends up being one of, if not the busiest day of the season.

Additionally, at least on an anecdotal level, it seems to me over the last few years (whether or not it has to do with more people having more multi mountain passes these days than in years past I'm not sure) that the traditional mid March fall off in skier volume on weekends isn't happening as quickly as it has in the past. The "weekend pass warriors" seem to be trying to maximize their skier/rider days available to them on their passes compared to when they may of just been day ticket buying folks

EPB

A lot of people don't even have off MLK, so I don't see why any day of that weekend would be the "busiest" day of the season. PDW on the other hand is a potential long weekend for most people and that Saturday has always been busier than MLK Saturday from what I've seen.
Attitash recently set it single day attendance record on MLK weekend. It's a common black out date for passes. I don't get the day off, but I would imagine people with school aged children are tempted to take Monday off even if they have to work.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

My kids have school on President's day but have MLK day off...

machski

Never heard that one before. Is this somewhere in Massachusetts by any chance?
I would guess NH. Very common, won't say universal in state a few southern districts take the MA vacation week. Most of NH has the following week off so they do not give President's day off the week before a vacation week.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

crazy

When I saw growing up, my whole family would ski for a week during PDW. It was our only week long trip of the year. We would do either Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Saturday. Not sure if we got MLK day off, but I don't remember skiing that weekend growing up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would guess NH. Very common, won't say universal in state a few southern districts take the MA vacation week. Most of NH has the following week off so they do not give President's day off the week before a vacation week.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
Several VT school districts do the week after as well. When I lived there I was told that it was because so many people work in the hospitality industry, it was difficult to get Presidents week off from work to spend with their kids on school break.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thanks, I'm thinking Feb 25th will be safe to go outside again 8)..?
How good/bad is the March skiing/boarding?
Killington Jay and Sunday River are still on my list of overnight (2 days or more) trips..starting out from Manchester.
And it will probably be in March.
thanks

deadheadskier

Staff member
March is like any other month. Depends on the day. Generally speaking I find March to be the second best month of the season most years. February being the best.

pauldotcom

Presidents week is not a holiday in most parts of the country. The only states that I know for sure have president week off are New York, MA, and Maine. NH and VT have weeks off the following week but still have Monday off (2.18.19). But - several schools in both don't have it off (example Wilbraham MA)

In my experience, going out west during presidents week is a fantastic time to go. Granted, Sat & Sun are always busy at all resorts, but I've never skied in crowds in SLC or CO during that week.

I have a choice to take off work March 1-10 or March 14-24.
Staying in the area (VT/NH/ME) and snowboarding, maybe 2 or 3 multi-day trips out of Manchester...
If you had to decide by Monday, (I do) which would you choose?
Maybe later in March, warmer temps mean softer snow (or possibly too soft?).

Thanks..

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is a total crap shoot regarding weather making a decision any further than 4 to 5 days out. Just the way it is in New England. I've skied in temps anywhere from -10 to 80 degrees in March.