• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee 2/13/19

Bumpsis

Sunapee 2/13/19, Wednesday

Overall, super day. Good cover of fresh snow everywhere. We got there by noon, so no fresh lines, although it was not crowded. Here and there you could feel some ice underneath but overall, it was silky, chopped up powder.
I expected the snow to be heavier, but it was fairly light, although no blower by any means.
It was getting a bit bumpy by mid afternoon. No well defined bump fields, just bumpy. If you took fast, long arc turns, you were getting shaken up.

Most glades were roped off and those that were not, did not have good cover, according to people I saw coming out of the woods. I'm not a glade hound anyway, so it did not matter. I like skiing trees but only if there is a chance of untracked powder and good cover to begin with. There wasn't of either.

Mountain was reporting 6 - 8 and it felt true. I saw no evidence of rain/sleet - it seemed all snow. Too bad I couldn't take another day off today. I'm sure that after they groomed it, it's a super cruiser heaven out there now.

Griswold

Do they still seed moguls on flying goose?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Bumpsis

Nope - Flying Goose was flat like calm seas, at least during my visit. This was my first visit to Sunapee this year, so it's just a snapshot. But I think they may be continuing the tradition of letting moguls grow under the Sunbowl chair.

Griswold

Another reason for me to not buy an epic pass. I don’t know why mountains without natural moguls wouldn’t seed them on at least a half of one trail like they used to do on flying goose. Even wachusett seems to have abandoned it. It doesn’t cost extra money (right?) and it helps add some interest to two relatively boring mountains. I wish Loon would do it too since most days you can’t find a single mogul there.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Another reason for me to not buy an epic pass. I don’t know why mountains without natural moguls wouldn’t seed them on at least a half of one trail like they used to do on flying goose. Even wachusett seems to have abandoned it. It doesn’t cost extra money (right?) and it helps add some interest to two relatively boring mountains. I wish Loon would do it too since most days you can’t find a single mogul there.

Seeding bumps? You need an experienced groomer and gotta burn diesel... probably an acceptable amount of $$ to do for a short course but a whole section of trail spanning 600...700...800 vertical feet??? Not happening these days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seeding bumps? You need an experienced groomer and gotta burn diesel... probably an acceptable amount of $$ to do for a short course but a whole section of trail spanning 600...700...800 vertical feet??? Not happening these days.
Pennies on the dollar compared to a terrain park and ignoring a market. I won't say the mogul loving market is greater in participation as the terrain park crowd, but it's there.

Front and center of my ski area choices are the potential to ski bumps, preferably on natural terrain, but at least having reliable seeded bumps is a must. Bummer to hear that's now the case at Sunapee. Seeded Goose is a great time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app