• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Article on Aspen private ski instruction

abc

A quick google reveals he also wrote a piece about “Thing I never know until I became a flight attendent”.

You probably wonder how many hours he pretended to be a flight attendant to write that piece.

All I can say is he still doesn’t know squad about ski instructors, or as little as he knows about being a flight attendant. And a whole host of other profession.

Last edited:

Glenn

I saw that in my Apple News feed as well. Seemed a bit embellished.

Edd

Yeah the whole article is weird. He frames it as if everything takes place at Aspen Mountain and then mentions Cloud Nine, but doesn’t mention Aspen Highlands. You have to wonder how much this guy has been on skis.

But, it’s a ski nerd forum and it’s a ski article so whatevs.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

The only thing I'm slightly disturbed about this article is how this kind of trash gets pushed pushed out by the feed.

Stalin and Hitler would have loved to have this kind of technology in their hands!

Last edited:

skiur

I thought $820 a day was insane, but stowe is $645 and K is $600 so it isnt as crazy as I thought. I kinda remember a private lesson at K being like $300 a day round 10 years ago so prices have really gone up!

shwilly

And half day private lessons are available for the low, low price of $635.

I mean, the article is a bunch of tall tales about ski instructors and rich people: mildly entertaining and fact checked about as well as a story you hear at the bar.

As one of the little people, I do not see the appeal of spraying the room with Veuve mid-mountain, unless there are unmentioned championships being won. Do you want champagne on your shell and goggles? Any bubbly I open will be drunk.

Perhaps not surprisingly, even the rich people are hot boxing the gondola like the plebes.

Glenn

Yeah the whole article is weird. He frames it as if everything takes place at Aspen Mountain and then mentions Cloud Nine, but doesn’t mention Aspen Highlands. You have to wonder how much this guy has been on skis.

But, it’s a ski nerd forum and it’s a ski article so whatevs.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Agreed! I certainly gave it a read. It was entertaining.

NYDB

I remember reading about powder days out west someplace (maybe aspen, BC or DV), and that it was not uncommon for people to book full day private lessons just to skip the lift lines all day.

AdironRider

I remember reading about powder days out west someplace (maybe aspen, BC or DV), and that it was not uncommon for people to book full day private lessons just to skip the lift lines all day.

If it has snowed a foot in Jackson, I can guarantee you a couple hundred people do this. For even more money, they get to ride the lifts up to the upper mountain lodges ahead of everyone else (when the mountain opens you start from the top of the tram or gondi instead of loading "first chair") rather than just cut the lines.

None of these stories is surprising. When I worked at the Seasons we had a rapper demand that in no spot throughout his entire 5000 sq ft presidential suite could he be out of sight of a bottle of Krug Rose on ice. This required over 60 bottles to be placed throughout the suite, and constantly maintained with fresh ice and pressed cloth linens so his hands would get wet when he poured it. The bill for this alone was 5 figures, replenished daily...