Sugarloaf first timer

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sugarloaf first timer

Heading to sugarloaf for the first time next weekend with some of the gfs friends who live in Maine. Any suggestions or things in particular I should check out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My info is mostly very old, but a few general things:
    -Figure out what terrain you like, use the cross-cuts, and stay on the upper 2/3 of the mountain lapping King Pine, Skyline, Timberline. Don't go back to the base every run. The lines are longer and the run-out is not so exciting.
    -The King Pine area is often good early.
    -Certain trails and aspects hold snow better than others; keep your eyes peeled. For example, high on the front face, Powder Keg often holds snow well.
    -The Bag (on mountain) and The Rack (access road) were my favorite watering holes. Bullwinkle's mid-mountain is also fun.

It's a wonderful mountain, right up there for best in the East when they have good snow. I've got to make it back there one of these days. Have a great time.

We spent 3 days at Sugarloaf during new years day, when the condition was not very good. During those days, only 50-60 groomers were open and they got skied off really quickly. The mountain felt quite small, and the trails felt similar. Overall I wasn't impressed. I am heading back next week as well. Hopefully more natural terrain is open and they skied better. Also, Sugarloaf's lift chairs seem to be more prone to wind and often shut down the entire upper mountain. If that happens early, you can get a voucher before 10am.

I'd echoed the comment above to stay away from base. The lift lines are much longer at the base.

Thanks for the info. The people were going with ski there pretty regularly so hopefully Ill have somewhat of a guide as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're into that kind of ungroomed terrain/glades, Brackett Basin, Burnt, and the Backside are unlike anything else on the east coast.

Agreed with everything else so far too. King Pine, Skyline, and Super Quad (avoid SQ at peak times) all have steeper groomers and ungroomed available off them which is nice for a group. Whiffletree has some mellow pitched ungroomed trails and glades if someone is trying to get involved in that type of terrain. Timberline too with narrow but flatish trails like Binder.

The Bag is great. I'm not a fan of the Widowmaker except for the nachos. Hunker Down is new last year and a bit more expensive but good if you're into interesting twists on pub food (like bacon dust fries). Occasionally cool food trucks, like a poutine truck, are around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrn View Post
    We spent 3 days at Sugarloaf during new years day, when the condition was not very good. During those days, only 50-60 groomers were open and they got skied off really quickly. The mountain felt quite small, and the trails felt similar. Overall I wasn't impressed. I am heading back next week as well. Hopefully more natural terrain is open and they skied better. Also, Sugarloaf's lift chairs seem to be more prone to wind and often shut down the entire upper mountain. If that happens early, you can get a voucher before 10am.

I'd echoed the comment above to stay away from base. The lift lines are much longer at the base.
    Should be skiing much better, heard backside stuff is open, even some of the newish (on map anyway) Chutes. Next week I think the Burnt Cats are running everyday due to the holiday. Kind of unique to the east, may be worth the $$. Sounded like SL was going to see half a foot or more today after the 14+ earlier this week. Should be pretty darn good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skrn View Post
    only 50-60 groomers were open and they got skied off really quickly. The mountain felt quite small, and the trails felt similar. Overall I wasn't impressed.
    Well, sure, it needs snow to be good. Have you ever been impressed by a half open mountain on a groomer day?

It's probably true that it's more of a late season than an early season mountain. It needs natural snow for the interesting stuff to fill in. Once it's in, it can stay good well into April.

Quote Originally Posted by shwilly View Post
    Well, sure, it needs snow to be good. Have you ever been impressed by a half open mountain on a groomer day?

It's probably true that it's more of a late season than an early season mountain. It needs natural snow for the interesting stuff to fill in. Once it's in, it can stay good well into April.
    SL's groomers do feel super similar to one another IMO. The SQ groomers are dreadfully similar and the same width as the KP and Skyline stuff. There's many places I'd rather be than SL to ski groomers only unless I'm really itching for something steep and groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Should be skiing much better, heard backside stuff is open, even some of the newish (on map anyway) Chutes. Next week I think the Burnt Cats are running everyday due to the holiday. Kind of unique to the east, may be worth the $$. Sounded like SL was going to see half a foot or more today after the 14+ earlier this week. Should be pretty darn good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Going there the first weekend of March. Fantastic that some of the chutes are open. Really hope the cat skiing works out for them and they make money off it (so much that they decide to NOT put in a T-bar...).

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    There's many places I'd rather be than SL to ski groomers only unless I'm really itching for something steep and groomed.
    Agreed, particularly given the distance. Fortunately, it doesn't look like it will be groomer only any time soon, knock on wood.

Thread Information