• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Double backflip fail at world mogul champs

prsboogie

Tell you what, he didn't miss it by much!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
That was nuts .....He new he over rotated(On the first flip) and tried to save it. Even if he lands it he's too far into the moguls to save it he would have crashed anyway.

Last edited:

Glenn

He went big!

Noticed the vid title had "FAIL" in it....one of the most overused words on the internet. Ok, he didn't stick the landing, but I wouldn't exactly tag that as a total disaster "fail". Probably a clickbait title.

SkiingInABlueDream

Did he over- or under rotate? To me he looks under-rotated at the moment his skis touch down.

Props to the guy for trying. It would've been spectacular if he'd been able to finish the course reasonably cleanly.

machski

He failed because he carried too much speed into the jump and that translated to lateral distance rather than vertical. Being dual, you can see both of them flooring the gas in mid section, they both almost loose control, Daichi looks like he regains it but he didn't. They speed he hit the jump speaks to that. Glad he managed to walk away, love the ski kicking up, what, 49 feet into the air?!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I watched this event live, machski is correct, he is NOT attempting a double flip on purpose, but it was the safer of the two poor options he was immediately presented with.

BTW, this was the best moguls event I've ever seen, the skiing was incredible that night.

abc

but it was the safer of the two poor options he was immediately presented with.
That’s how it looks to me on tape too.

Also, it would be odd to do a layout and tucked combo on purpose.

kbroderick

Has anyone landed a tucked double back flip yet?

Irrelevant to moguls skiing, only single inverts are allowed (c.f. FIS judging guidelines 6204.3.1 https://assets.fis-ski.com/image/upload/v1540187845/fis-prod/Freestyle_Skiing_Judging_Handbook.pdf). So even if he had landed the double, it wouldn't have counted (I expect it would have been scored as a poorly executed single, as it's pretty clear from watching the video that the amount of air was unintentional).

The video is pretty nuts, though, and the slow-mo above the second air shows just how hard these guys are pushing and also a fair bit of how much athleticism is involved.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Love this!

1. vary the length of the bumps

2. two sections of short bumps to eliminate competitors with lack of control*

3. bumps instead of landing zone after the first jumps

4. move the second jump higher up

5. propper bumps until the finnish line

6. no repeating tricks in the final rounds and/or judge air on overall impression**

The whole sport has gotten too monotonous in the past decade. It's gotten to be like diving. Don't get me wrong, the skills guys like Kingsbury have developed are super impressive, but I'd like to see a return to competitions more like the days of Grospiron and Carmichael.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app