• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rustler 9 vs. Bushwacker?

tnt1234

I killed my Bushwackers.

Inclined to just get a new pair. Loved those skis. but the Rustler 9 sounds intriguing. Claims it's a better edging ski in east coast conditions.

Needs to be great in the bumps, and nimble in the trees.

Any experiences out there?

Edd

Haven’t tried the Rustlers myself but I’m curious what you did to the Bushwackers.

I was at Mount Snow a couple of weeks ago and a couple of demo tents were set up. I was excited for a minute to try some newer Blizzards but it was for reps only. Buzzkill.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Haven’t tried the Rustlers myself but I’m curious what you did to the Bushwackers.

I was at Mount Snow a couple of weeks ago and a couple of demo tents were set up. I was excited for a minute to try some newer Blizzards but it was for reps only. Buzzkill.

So, this saturday my youngest daughter and I skied magic for our first time ever - they got a bit of rain and everything was frozen EXCEPT Redline, Gonnif Glade and the trails left and right of those two. Can't explain it. Made no sense. Trails at the same apparent elevation were frozen marbles. Maybe it was the aspect? Someone i teh lodge said Slight of Hans was really good too, but we never tried that....

So anyway, we skied the holy living hell out of those trails - mosty red line and gonnif. And of those tow, red line a few times more....Had an absolute blast.

But, red line was thin and I hit more than a few rocks....

Sunday we skied Bromley - blue bird day, soft snow everywhere. They evidently didn't get any rain. Soft bumps galore....And a few glades.

In the avalanche glade, I took the best spill of probably...jeez...5 years? Maybe more....was making a turn around what I thought was a mogul, but in reality was a rock...jammed the tip of my right ski into the rock at maximum speed (which for me in the glades, isn't really that tremendous of a speed, but whatever...) Single ejected and over teh handle bars, somersault...barely missing a stump and a tree.

All in all, good luck. Could have been worse. Right arm still killing me - can't really lift it over my head without grimacing....no rock climbing for a bit...

Checked my ski before putting it back on. No apparent damage, but I was focusing on the tip....

Two or three more runs, including one through Orion Glade....on the very last run, I felt my LEFT ski sticking...or something...but whatever...get down and my daughter points to my right ski - about 8-10" of edge are blown out and dangling.

So it's weird the big crash was defiantly tip first into a rock, but I'm sure that contributed to the blow out some how.

So, that's that...here I am shopping for skis....

kingslug

With that double rocker I would wonder how it handles on ice though. I want to try the Head Kore 93 for this reason but my old Sultan 85's grip ice like nothing else I have.
I've discovered that up North you need as much grip as possible..steep icy stuff everywhere.

pauldotcom

I skied the Ruster 9 and 10.

If you want a quick tree/bump ski, I think the 9 is fantastic. They do ski a little short in my opinion. I think it depends on how demanding you are on the ski. I bought the 10 at 180cm (I am a little under 5'10) and it's about right in size; but I could ski longer (I bought short for glades/bumps). If I was a west coast guy, I'd get the 188. NOTE- this is coming of a S3 which skis really short.

My friend is a couple inches taller than I am and buying the 9 at 180cm. He isn't as aggressive as I am. I think the 9 isn't enough ski for me at 180cm if that makes sense. If I bought the 9, I think I'd go 188cm, but it would be more of an on trail ski for me at that length.

I think the waist on this particualr ski has more to do with how hard you are going to ski it than how much powder you are going to ride. I actually felt the 10 was better on paiste for me also; but I didn't try the 9 @ 188cm.

tnt1234

I skied the Ruster 9 and 10.

If you want a quick tree/bump ski, I think the 9 is fantastic. They do ski a little short in my opinion. I think it depends on how demanding you are on the ski. I bought the 10 at 180cm (I am a little under 5'10) and it's about right in size; but I could ski longer (I bought short for glades/bumps). If I was a west coast guy, I'd get the 188. NOTE- this is coming of a S3 which skis really short.

My friend is a couple inches taller than I am and buying the 9 at 180cm. He isn't as aggressive as I am. I think the 9 isn't enough ski for me at 180cm if that makes sense. If I bought the 9, I think I'd go 188cm, but it would be more of an on trail ski for me at that length.

I think the waist on this particualr ski has more to do with how hard you are going to ski it than how much powder you are going to ride. I actually felt the 10 was better on paiste for me also; but I didn't try the 9 @ 188cm.

Thanks.

I'm 6'1, 185lbs and skied the Bushwacker 180s and loved them.

So I found a deal on the R9s, and pulled the trigger. 180s again. So I think that will help with some of my concerns. Your review sounds like it will work just fine for me....

I got them for $479, no tax, free shipping at ski monster.com. they had three pair left if anyone is interested. Pretty sick price really.

Edd

Thanks.

I'm 6'1, 185lbs and skied the Bushwacker 180s and loved them.

So I found a deal on the R9s, and pulled the trigger. 180s again. So I think that will help with some of my concerns. Your review sounds like it will work just fine for me....

I got them for $479, no tax, free shipping at ski monster.com. they had three pair left if anyone is interested. Pretty sick price really.

I am interested as I ski the Bushwackers in a 180 also. I’m a couple of inches shorter and a bit lighter than you.

What I really want to know is if it performs better on firm conditions than the Bushwackers. The only way to know is demo but I’ll be curious to hear what you think.

tnt1234

I am interested as I ski the Bushwackers in a 180 also. I’m a couple of inches shorter and a bit lighter than you.

What I really want to know is if it performs better on firm conditions than the Bushwackers. The only way to know is demo but I’ll be curious to hear what you think.

They arrive today. Hopefully mount them this weekend. Might try to go night skiing gin the pokes just to try them out, but more likely, a day next weekend. I'll let you know.

puckoach

kingslug;1017444 . n but my old Sultan 85's grip ice like nothing else I have. I've discovered that up North you need as much grip as possible..steep icy stuff everywhere.[/QUOTE said:
Agree on the Sultans. Am using Brahmas mostly now

tnt1234

I was looking at Brahmas for a hardpack/ice ski. Thoughts?

I've never skied it, but lots of people love it for that. Same shape as the softer bushwhacker which I loved as my all around ski.

Edd

I was looking at Brahmas for a hardpack/ice ski. Thoughts?

Yup it’s a good east coast all arounder, even decent on ungroomed. I skied the 180 for half a season and slowly began to realize that, some days, I wasn’t up for the stiffness of it. I can be quite lazy. So I replaced them with Bushwackers.

If I was a bit heavier or more aggressive I’d still be on them I bet. That was 4 years ago and I think they’ve mellowed the ski out a bit since.

tnt1234

Went to Blue Mountain today. They had 3-5 of heavy snow. Skis are great. Feeling like maybe I should have gotten the 188s though.

But they are every bit as snappy and lively as teh bushwhacker. Really didn't notice the metal in any negative way, and didn't notice the extra width at all.

However, the conditions were nice and soft, so can't speak to the whole 'the metal will give you better grip in east coast conditions' yet.

But my biggest concern was, are they going to be as quick and fun as the BW, and I'd say yes.

Edd

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with the Head Kore 93s, which is in the same width range. Demoed them at Gunstock in firm conditions and came away impressed.

Glad you’re enjoying your new boards!

Kleetus

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with the Head Kore 93s, which is in the same width range. Demoed them at Gunstock in firm conditions and came away impressed.

Glad you’re enjoying your new boards!

I too went with the Kore's. Love them! Demo'd them in CO in December and they were most impressive of many I tested. Great carving/ice hold but low enough swing weight to be at ease in the bumps and trees.

I tried the Rustler 9's and while good, they seemed meh compared to the Kore's

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

pauldotcom

Went to Blue Mountain today. They had 3-5 of heavy snow. Skis are great. Feeling like maybe I should have gotten the 188s though.

I figured that would be you're thoughts. They do ski a little short, but glad you liked them.

pauldotcom

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with the Head Kore 93s, which is in the same width range.

I had a bead on the KORE93 and I didn't jump on them because I never demoed. How are they on the hard pack? The fact that they are super light scared me off..

Edd

I had a bead on the KORE93 and I didn't jump on them because I never demoed. How are they on the hard pack? The fact that they are super light scared me off..

Surprisingly good. My demo was on super firm conditions at Gunstock. I’ve got better skis for days like that, but the demo convinced me that the 93s would be a good daily driver.

They bite quite well but the vibrations from rock hard corduroy do get transmitted to the skier, due to the lack of metal. The ski doesn’t chatter, but you do feel it. Again, carving skis are more appropriate for days like that.

Yesterday at Wildcat they performed very well in a few inches of fresh. It was bumps all day. Normally I’d use the Soul 7s for that but the 93s were great.

Last edited:

Bandit2941

I picked up a pair of rustler 9s in 180 at the beginning of the year. After reading reviews I planned on getting the Kore 93 but the first time I flexed them in a ski shop it changed my mind. I felt that the tip of the Kore was way too stiff for what I was looking for in an in between ski. Combined with the lack of metal I was afraid that they would be too soft underfoot and too stiff in the tip for bumps and powder.

So I went Rustler 9 and my wife grabbed the ladies version, Sheeva 9. We both love them. Great edge hold on groomers, good at carving, but also very forgiving and playful. I like the partial sheet of metal, it stiffens it up under foot while leaving the tips and tails softer.

Hoping to demo the kore sometime to see if my suspicions were correct but haven’t had the opportunity yet.