• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Resorts please show some love to New Hampshire

gregnye

Just got back from a visit to Wildcat. I don't get there that often anymore. Conditions were great and the vibe was classic as usual! This place has always been close to my family who have skied there since the first lift was installed.

With that said it looks like the base lodge hasn't been touched since 1970. Now don't get me wrong I love the base lodge and I don't want a rebuild.

However there are simple things that could be done to improve the skier experience that are relatively cheap. These include:
  • Install new locks on bathroom stall doors.
  • Install a shelf above men's bathroom urinals (to place your mittens while using the toilet).
  • Fix the rust problem in your water. Seriously the water fountain water tastes like rust. The sinks are staining the sinkbowl with rust. I know it's in Pinkham notch but surely something could be done.

Like come on now Peaks? Besides the water issue, these really are inexpensive problems that shouldn't be an issue. Door latches are like $3 at Home Depot, and wood to make a shelf is like $10 at Home Depot.

And this is not even starting to rant about the Summit Triple at Attitash which should have been replaced decades ago.

/end rant.

Edd

Wildcat is my fave. Functional bathroom locks would feel wrong somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not sure anything can be done about the water. It would be nice if they offered some sort of Poland Spring type set up for drinking water at Wildcat. Its awful. I don't drink it or have mixed drinks there.

To be honest, I'd be fine if they dropped a hundred grand or whatever it takes to completely renovate all the bathrooms. I don't get the sentiment of somehow a shitty bathroom = character. People say the same thing about the trough at MRG.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I'm not sure anything can be done about the water. It would be nice if they offered some sort of Poland Spring type set up for drinking water at Wildcat. Its awful. I don't drink it or have mixed drinks there.

To be honest, I'd be fine if they dropped a hundred grand or whatever it takes to completely renovate all the bathrooms. I don't get the sentiment of somehow a shitty bathroom = character. People say the same thing about the trough at MRG.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I agree, Bathrooms in this day and age should be up to date and nice. Not Deer Valley nice, but something close...

Edd

I would actually like to have a say in all public restroom design. Best case, there is no door to touch when you leave. If you must have a door, make it a push to exit so you don’t have to touch a handle. If it must be pull, then have paper towels to touch it with and a trash can nearby to toss that paper towel into.

I think about this a lot.

Smellytele

I would actually like to have a say in all public restroom design. Best case, there is no door to touch when you leave. If you must have a door, make it a push to exit so you don’t have to touch a handle. If it must be pull, then have paper towels to touch it with and a trash can nearby to toss that paper towel into.

There are no doors now.

What I think can be upgraded at Wildcat -The upper base lodge - Bobcat Lodge. It used to have a cafe in it. It was a good place to take a quick break with a snack and a leak. It may have been the original lodge when the road was on that side of the stream. I could be wrong on that but the road was on that side of the stream and went right through parking lot C

Edd

There are no doors now.

What I think can be upgraded at Wildcat -The upper base lodge - Bobcat Lodge.C

No door on the bottom floor but the top, near the bar, still has a door. I agree on the Bobcat Lodge but there are so few people midweek when I’m there.

EPB

Last time I was at the Kitty I left but pretty dehydrated because I was too cheap to buy a water and just couldn't stand more than a small cup of water out of that water fountain. Some sort of Poland Spring or tankless water filter system (assuming it would even work with the metallic water) would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

jcard71

Last time I was at the Kitty I left but pretty dehydrated because I was too cheap to buy a water and just couldn't stand more than a small cup of water out of that water fountain. Some sort of Poland Spring or tankless water filter system (assuming it would even work with the metallic water) would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bring water...:)

puckoach

There is a commercially available toe pull. Attaches to door, put your toe in, pull until you can finish with your elbow. Widely used in southern states.

As to renovations, often it ends up requiring ADA compliance. Which can run into a lot of money, sometimes structural. While I 100% support ADA personally, once you know this, it explains some weird bathroom set ups built in years prior to thoughts of active yet challenged individuals. Also, consider that when these lodges were built, it was during the leather boot era.

puckoach

Selfishly, I wish the Cat would bring back the free birthday ticket. Miss my free day next week.....

Last edited: