• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 2/18/19

Zand

A bit of a slow go in some spots on the way up but arrived shortly after 9 and on skis by 9:30. It was the first time I've ever been to SR with it 100% open so that main objective was to pretty much sample everything and see if I took a liking to any particular area over another.

Crowds weren't bad at all today...less than 5 minutes for the longest waits at Barker, South Ridge and Jordan and ski on everywhere else. Groomers were in terrific shape...natural stuff had some fluff on top of a lot of slick. Tons of base up there right now...should set up a good spring.

I completed my main objective of seeing as much as possible today. Skied every glade on the map except Starstruck. Rode every chairlift except the Chondola. Non gladed runs were mostly limited to White Heat, Gnarnia, Quantum Leap, and Excalibur.

Everything skied the same and the runs are blending together at this point. Standout runs to me were Poppy Fields which was incredibly tight at the top but was softer than most of the other glades. Also the tops of Chutzpah and Hardball looked and felt like the west, but with enough ice underneath the fresh snow to remind you that you're still in the east.

Overall a very fun day, good to finally get to ski all of SR and it's a fun place for sure. Feels Killington-esque when it's 100% open. Have a 3 day trip to the Loaf booked for this weekend and already have my cat skiing ticket purchased for Sunday afternoon. Pretty pumped.

legalskier

Have a 3 day trip to the Loaf booked for this weekend and already have my cat skiing ticket purchased for Sunday afternoon. Pretty pumped.

Sounds awesome. Hope you post some pics of that. Nice TR

gnardawg

I love Sunday River when it goes off. I actually think the lift line trails are the best around. Caramba!, Ruby Palace, Northern Exposure, Gnarnia, Locke Line/TightWire always very sick when they are on.

Zand

Was hoping to ski more liftlines but all of them seemed to be quite icy under foot. Glades we're definitely softer so was better to stick to those. But I do love liftlines and SR certainly has no shortage.