• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Family of former skier questions Hunter's safety

catskillman

Alternatively, unless he's a complete moron, he probably doesn't wear blue from head-to-toe anymore and thus isnt recognizable.

One would think ... but I saw him Saturday morning flying down hellgate all in blue.... He was on the 1st chair.......so there was noone in front of him to buzz.....

I am sure he has toned it down after getting his pass pulled....or if not he is crazier than we all thought

catskillman

Alternatively, unless he's a complete moron, he probably doesn't wear blue from head-to-toe anymore and thus isnt recognizable.

one would think. But I saw him on Saturday flying down hellgate - all in blue....he was on first chair so he had noone to buzz.

skiur

Meanwhile, Killington changed the trail sign of Mousetrap (a black ever since its inception eons ago) and made it part of the blue Bunny Buster this season. It's a total shitshow. Go on K-zone for details but it's a disaster. While short and always groomed, that trail is a true black. Have not seen much posted on this site about it.

The worst part of it is that they tried changing mousetrap to a blue once before around 10 years ago. It didnt work out well then and they changed it back to black. This time I guess they figured it might work because they changed the name and the rating of the trail, not just the rating.

FBGM

I agree, that mountain is overcrowded, poor layout and unsafe. 10,000 weekend skiers that all suck in a Saturday and you best be wearing football pads.

Funky_Catskills

I agree, that mountain is overcrowded, poor layout and unsafe. 10,000 weekend skiers that all suck in a Saturday and you best be wearing football pads.

Agree...
Shitty skiers and riders definitely struggle at Hunter and can't handle the terrain. Good ones excel and have fun by being good enough to avoid the crappy people and finding the places to go that are more advanced...

JimG.

Staff member
Agree...
Shitty skiers and riders definitely struggle at Hunter and can't handle the terrain. Good ones excel and have fun by being good enough to avoid the crappy people and finding the places to go that are more advanced...

Very true at Hunter.

I like the North side, but that stretch from the top of Wayout at the top of the lift down to Twilight/Rip's needs a re-design. And from there down to Overlook can be very congested. I have noticed they seem to expend the majority of their snowmaking budget on Belt now which improves the overall snow quality on that trail.

Overlook and Twilight have negative camber turns at their steepest which may need some re-grading. Skiers are surprised by those transitions which are pretty sudden.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Very true at Hunter.

I like the North side, but that stretch from the top of Wayout at the top of the lift down to Twilight/Rip's needs a re-design. And from there down to Overlook can be very congested. I have noticed they seem to expend the majority of their snowmaking budget on Belt now which improves the overall snow quality on that trail.

Overlook and Twilight have negative camber turns at their steepest which may need some re-grading. Skiers are surprised by those transitions which are pretty sudden.

I hear talk of fixing Wayout this summer. It has been worse than the Belt lately...

Ol Dirty Noodle

My thing with hunter is the overcrowding and the fact that you’re to an extent no matter how good or experienced of a skier you are; you’re no mind reader and can be taken out like that.
Case in point I avoided a young girl out of control on belt, but then she took out someone to my left as they tried passing and they ended up flying right across my front tips sending me into a summersault while he careened into the rocks.
The only thing I could’ve done to avoid it at that point would’ve been to stiff arm the guy and drive him harder into the rocks and direct myself toward the middle of the trail... not trying to kill anyone though [emoji2373]

Funky_Catskills

My thing with hunter is the overcrowding and the fact that you’re to an extent no matter how good or experienced of a skier you are; you’re no mind reader and can be taken out like that.
Case in point I avoided a young girl out of control on belt, but then she took out someone to my left as they tried passing and they ended up flying right across my front tips sending me into a summersault while he careened into the rocks.
The only thing I could’ve done to avoid it at that point would’ve been to stiff arm the guy and drive him harder into the rocks and direct myself toward the middle of the trail... not trying to kill anyone though [emoji2373]

How have I skied/ridden Hunter for well over 20 years and only been hit by one person?

catskillman

Me too! I think since 1972, been nailed once! Of Course, Blue boy has come close a few times.

I have been hit twice with injuries. both times by snowboarders......

And Blue
boy came close twice to me - one pushed me off to the side by the rocks and the other I was mot moving fortunately..

catskillman

Blueboy has gotten new clothes!!

So I heard - I have not seen him yet, but I will be able to pick him out by his skiing. In the spring he has a black jacket.

That blue nubby fleece of his was getting well worn........

Funky_Catskills

Me too! I think since 1972, been nailed once! Of Course, Blue boy has come close a few times.

I mean - I'm a snowboarder - I should be in everyones way according to some on this site.. I should be running into people constantly.. what gives?

I can only surmise that some people make bad decisions as to where they stand etc....
And that they ski/ride in such a way that they are in the way and become targets...

Or I just don't give AF...

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I mean - I'm a snowboarder - I should be in everyones way according to some on this site.. I should be running into people constantly.. what gives?

I can only surmise that some people make bad decisions as to where they stand etc....
And that they ski/ride in such a way that they are in the way and become targets...

Or I just don't give AF...

#3....

da-bum

saw blueboy all decked out 830am on a weekday coming back to the ticket area from the slopes when I was heading to the lockers, but didn't see him anywhere on the slopes. Maybe he already did his first tracks by then?

Tdizzle

Yes - bright orange pants! Still has blue boots and I am sure other assorted blue items. Picked him out by his skiing. The clothes did not fool many

I just saw a picture of him on facebook hanging out on the deck yesterday. He's in all blue with a blue lunch bag and a blue bluetooth speaker.