• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread: 2/23-2/24

Glenn

Went to Stratton today. Surprisingly good! Given it was the tail end of break for some and a cruddy weather day tomorrow, lines were longer in the AM. But things were very manageable during lunch and after. Runs of the day were Spruce and Upper Middlebrook. Firm, but edgeable.

Smellytele

Was hoping for it to be all snow for just early morning today in Central/Southern NH. Well it was when I woke up and got dressed but then by 6:45 started to switch to sleet. Now it is going back and forth. Was going to skin up Pats with the dog but not now.

kingslug

Stowe is showing snow..prolly because im not there..wind speeds are over 50 to 60 which will shut the lifts..hopefully it stays snow..dont need more ice..

Jully

Was hoping for it to be all snow for just early morning today in Central/Southern NH. Well it was when I woke up and got dressed but then by 6:45 started to switch to sleet. Now it is going back and forth. Was going to skin up Pats with the dog but not now.

Disappointing, but good to know! Good for the base... I guess

Zand

Got 1 run in at Sugarloaf before the entire place went on windhold. Cat skiing cancelled. Stuck here for 2 more days and it's going to be windier. What a shit show.

Edd

Got 1 run in at Sugarloaf before the entire place went on windhold. Cat skiing cancelled. Stuck here for 2 more days and it's going to be windier. What a shit show.

Ah, yes, I’ve had a similar experience at the Loaf, more than once. Sorry man.

skifree

Rent a sled. Awesome up that way

parahelia

SR got about... six? inches of snow during the day today. A little mixing with sleet around 230 but it seems to have switched back to snow. The base in the woods is DEEP! No wind holds today but sounds like it’ll be pretty shut down tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bummer. I have probably 40 days in lifetime at Sugarloaf. I'd venture to say over half have had some lifts shut down from wind. Only once was it the whole mountain, but it was a day trip when I lived in Portland.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Also, expect some power outages and tree carnage in SoVt when the winds start to howl!

A good 1/2" of ice on most everything, with a bunch of trees already leaning way over this afternoon pre wind!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Bummer. I have probably 40 days in lifetime at Sugarloaf. I'd venture to say over half have had some lifts shut down from wind. Only once was it the whole mountain, but it was a day trip when I lived in Portland.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

They got the SuperQuad running again around 2:30 but only the T-Bar otherwise. Seems odd to me that the quad can run but not one of the doubles.

But yeah...general consensus on the mountain is no lifts will be running tomorrow or Tuesday. We'll see I guess. If Tuesday is a loss then I'll at least be able to stop at SR on the way home and hopefully they'll be a little more protected.

Zand

Why can't they run the cats in teh wind?

Can't get to them if the lifts aren't running. Wish they could maybe run one from the base area in those situations. The folks smart enough to stick to the T-Bar were able to get to the cats but if you were at the base when the wind holds started you were stranded.

Zand

Guess it all went to shit??
Anyone with good intell chime in...

Got maybe an hour of sleet at the Loaf but all snow otherwise. Powder is very windpacked but still a lot better than whoever got rained on today.

BTW holy shit is the base deep right now. Can't go in the woods without smacking your face on branches. As long as we avoid a big torch in March should be a great and long spring.

nanjil

SR got about... six? inches of snow during the day today. A little mixing with sleet around 230 but it seems to have switched back to snow. The base in the woods is DEEP! No wind holds today but sounds like it’ll be pretty shut down tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was very good today especially the tight pines of upper blind ambition

Sent from my Pixel 2 using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

Skied at Mt Ellen today. Hero snow on the groomers with light snow falling until about 2:30 PM. Probably less than 100 people after a very busy Saturday.