• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread: 2/23-2/24

Glenn

This next mid week system looks kinda meh...but at least it's mostly frozen. Sunday has me a little worried. Saturday looks like a really good day with decent temps and sun.

Zand

Loafin it Sunday-Tuesday. Looks like mainly snow up there...hope that Maine cold air damming works its magic!

Jully

Loafin it Sunday-Tuesday. Looks like mainly snow up there...hope that Maine cold air damming works its magic!

Probably at the loaf this weekend too (and next). Picked the right time to escape up there.

GregoryIsaacs

Headed to Jay Peak to ski Saturday... Looks like the forecast is leaning cooler and the mess on Sunday may keep some of the weekend hordes away. I hope.

The real question is... how will the goods be after this weeks weather? anyone skiing there this week?

skifree

March is the new February.
Its gonna dump in March!!!

cdskier

Feb sux.....but it could be worse. I remember temps in the 70's way back

Way back? Just a year ago tomorrow we had temps in the 60s in VT on the mountains (and 70s in spots down in the valleys).

kingslug

Temp plummet from 41 sunday to -7 Monday at Stowe...OY. Glad I'm bailing next week...which means major dump for you all.

kingslug

yup..I'm just remembering when it hit high 70's upstate..rather depressing at the time.
oh..and last year: Vermont: 77° at Bennington (old state record 68°)
trying to forget that..but March pounded...

Glenn

Last February was rough with those warm temps. Then March delivered beyond expectation.

machski

Yeah, IDK about that. NH WMUR is changing their tune for So.NH tonight to a mixed bag the whole storm and a high of 38 Sunday. Soooo, if that holds, up North should be mostly snow. Maybe a change over Midway thru, but all forecasts I have seen say back to Snow Sunday and continuing into Monday. Should be a good gainer, at least for Northern half of NE areas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Yeah, IDK about that. NH WMUR is changing their tune for So.NH tonight to a mixed bag the whole storm and a high of 38 Sunday. Soooo, if that holds, up North should be mostly snow. Maybe a change over Midway thru, but all forecasts I have seen say back to Snow Sunday and continuing into Monday. Should be a good gainer, at least for Northern half of NE areas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

That's fantastic though god damn it I want to ski the trees at Crotched this year and they are getting nothing with all these storms.

tnt1234

Wasn't planning on skiing htis weekend, but my new skis are coming tonight. If I can get them mounted in time, might just go a half day to the pokes to try them out!

I guess I better check the weather. You guys are saying rain on sunday? Yuck. That's the better day for me.

GregoryIsaacs

Anyone in N VT today? Jay is reporting 5 and still coming down I wonder if its cement

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
While there has been ample rain this season in the Northeast, we can't complain too much about temperatures. When it's not raining it's been cold. The last two Februaries it reached the 60s and 70s in Vermont over President's week for multiple days. The season before that was the "Season of Which We Shall Not Speak of" and I remember doing yard work on a sunny days in a t-shirt 2 days before Christmas. Going further back to 2011-2012 (ahhh...the old standard for "bad" winters before 2015-16 shattered that) Killington melted out entirely (save Superstar and the "core" spring trails) after a week of temperatures in the 70s and 80s in the middle of March.

A quick look at Accuweather's past data for Killington shows the last time it reached 60 degrees was November 2 (it did reach 59 degrees December 21). That's pretty damn good. For a couple days early February it was in the 50s...but not a week-long event like has become common.

Jully

While there has been ample rain this season in the Northeast, we can't complain too much about temperatures. When it's not raining it's been cold. The last two Februaries it reached the 60s and 70s in Vermont over President's week for multiple days. The season before that was the "Season of Which We Shall Not Speak of" and I remember doing yard work on a sunny days in a t-shirt 2 days before Christmas. Going further back to 2011-2012 (ahhh...the old standard for "bad" winters before 2015-16 shattered that) Killington melted out entirely (save Superstar and the "core" spring trails) after a week of temperatures in the 70s and 80s in the middle of March.

A quick look at Accuweather's past data for Killington shows the last time it reached 60 degrees was November 2 (it did reach 59 degrees December 21). That's pretty damn good. For a couple days early February it was in the 50s...but not a week-long event like has become common.

I agree with you. The lack of super high temperatures means we're keeping a lot of snow, at least up in northern NE. Trees will hopefully see a long spring season with the base we have in Maine. Snowmaking trails all across NE are in good shape because of that too.

It has been rough for naturals further south though. Even in So. NH Crotched had literally an inch or maybe two of snow in the trees last Saturday. While we've gotten a few inches since then, that's a tough snowpack by any late February standard. While temperatures haven't reached the 70s, the snowpack is in a similar state compared to those years at a lot of areas (nonexistent).

chuckstah

That's fantastic though god damn it I want to ski the trees at Crotched this year and they are getting nothing with all these storms.

3 inches of dense wet snow, with just a slight crust, got us into the Crotched glades this afternoon once the sun and warmth softened the crust. T line, Solstice trail and Solstice glade were very nice, as were all the cuts in Final Frontier. Uranus was ok cover wise, buts has lots of downfall and obstacles. Popcorn was interesting, passable with caution, but lots of snakes. We spent a few minutes cleaning up some debris in one particulary bad spot. A few others, name unknown to me were decent also. Didn't try Kuiper or Dark Star. The wet snow will set up over night probably making the glades once again all but unskiabe, unfortunately.