• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread: 2/23-2/24

gladerider

While there has been ample rain this season in the Northeast, we can't complain too much about temperatures. When it's not raining it's been cold. The last two Februaries it reached the 60s and 70s in Vermont over President's week for multiple days. The season before that was the "Season of Which We Shall Not Speak of" and I remember doing yard work on a sunny days in a t-shirt 2 days before Christmas. Going further back to 2011-2012 (ahhh...the old standard for "bad" winters before 2015-16 shattered that) Killington melted out entirely (save Superstar and the "core" spring trails) after a week of temperatures in the 70s and 80s in the middle of March.

A quick look at Accuweather's past data for Killington shows the last time it reached 60 degrees was November 2 (it did reach 59 degrees December 21). That's pretty damn good. For a couple days early February it was in the 50s...but not a week-long event like has become common.

yeah, you are right. this feb wasn't as bad. hoping for a dumping march :)

Jully

3 inches of dense wet snow, with just a slight crust, got us into the Crotched glades this afternoon once the sun and warmth softened the crust. T line, Solstice trail and Solstice glade were very nice, as were all the cuts in Final Frontier. Uranus was ok cover wise, buts has lots of downfall and obstacles. Popcorn was interesting, passable with caution, but lots of snakes. We spent a few minutes cleaning up some debris in one particulary bad spot. A few others, name unknown to me were decent also. Didn't try Kuiper or Dark Star. The wet snow will set up over night probably making the glades once again all but unskiabe, unfortunately.

Sounds about right, skiable in the storm and then dead after. Hope something can change them soon though

kingslug

Sunday is looking like a blizzard up north , a wet one with heavy wind..hmmm. Maybe stay local and just ski Saturday..would suck if all the lifts close.

cdskier

Sunday looks like a mess even up in NVT. Getting sick and would have been solo this weekend...so thinking I should just stay home. I don't feel like driving 5 hours by myself each way while coughing up a lung just to ski Saturday. Saturday itself looks pretty nice, so this sucks.

xlr8r

Wanted to get up to Stowe this weekend, but the Sunday forecast killed that plan. Looks like i will be doing another day trip to Sunapee on Saturday.

Kleetus

Had targeted this weekend to go to VT Sat and Sun and burn a couple of my Ski VT tickets, but with Sun being a mess going to have to bail again. Sticking close to home instead and doing Gore on Sat.

Hopefully March will deliver like last year and I can string multiple weekends in VT together after big dumps. Doubt that will happen, but here's hoping

jmarble

Weather underground is showing 5-8" for Jackson, NH Sunday. I was thinking Wildcat would be good but it sounds like you all think it will be bad?

machski

Weather underground is showing 5-8" for Jackson, NH Sunday. I was thinking Wildcat would be good but it sounds like you all think it will be bad?
It should be good in the morning, but even there it may change over to a mix or R. Hard to gauge, WMUR claimed warm air was riding in aloft but their forecast map had Mt. Washington summit in the teens all day Sunday. So not sure what to think, but that is not warm air riding in aloft.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Kleetus

Freezing R***/R***/Snow aside, I would be concerned about the winds Sunday. Even if it's snowing, the lifts might not be going.

With forecasted 50+ mph winds up high in spots...could be a challenge to spin lifts

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Freezing R***/R***/Snow aside, I would be concerned about the winds Sunday. Even if it's snowing, the lifts might not be going.

With forecasted 50+ mph winds up high in spots...could be a challenge to spin lifts

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app
I heard that was coming in after the storm, WMUR is concerned for power outages in Monday as of now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

3 inches of dense wet snow, with just a slight crust, got us into the Crotched glades this afternoon once the sun and warmth softened the crust. T line, Solstice trail and Solstice glade were very nice, as were all the cuts in Final Frontier. Uranus was ok cover wise, buts has lots of downfall and obstacles. Popcorn was interesting, passable with caution, but lots of snakes. We spent a few minutes cleaning up some debris in one particulary bad spot. A few others, name unknown to me were decent also. Didn't try Kuiper or Dark Star. The wet snow will set up over night probably making the glades once again all but unskiabe, unfortunately.
Glad Uranus has good coverage!

slatham

Warm air is coming in aloft, but for NH and Maine it very well could be after skiing is over on Sunday. It it will come in if the models are right....

Zand

Looks like a decent powder day at the Loaf tomorrow. 8-12" when all is said and done. Have cat skiing tickets for 2:30 so might be primo conditions on Burnt. There through Tuesday...hopefully the lifts are even running Monday because it looks windy as hell and Tuesday looks stupid cold.

tnt1234

Looks like a decent powder day at the Loaf tomorrow. 8-12" when all is said and done. Have cat skiing tickets for 2:30 so might be primo conditions on Burnt. There through Tuesday...hopefully the lifts are even running Monday because it looks windy as hell and Tuesday looks stupid cold.

Awesome! Have fun.

machski

I would plan no to lifts on Monday. Got skins?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Hoping Monday is calm enough for access to the T-Bar. Looks like the strongest winds will be west of there in the morning then move in during the afternoon. Tuesday looks ugly...might just start driving home and maybe stop at SR or something.