• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Popular Mechanics Article on the Superiority of Narrow, Straight Skis

kingslug

Yup..I pretty much stopped using my 105's at Stowe unless it dumps..my 85's hold so much better on the ice and are easier in the trees.

JoeB-Z

This article is dumb as a box of rocks. There are so many ways to turn a ski. I go between three widths 85, 92 and 98 depending. The old narrow ski, feet together, weight on the downhill ski thing is baloney compared to a modern, feet x distance apart depending, independent balance on each ski method. I had to rebuild my skiing for shaped skis at age 46 in 2002 and have never looked back.

Also, skis move on relentlessly from a technical perspective. My dad sent me my teenage years Kniessl Red Stars from a storage unit ten years later. One try and to the trash they went.

And by the way, I am a pronounced retrogrouch with over 25 steel bicycles. I do really love my one titanium bike with Ultegra 11 speed though.

raisingarizona

Considering they don’t even make the twister anymore I’m pretty sure he isn’t being paid by Dynastar to promote it. Guess I’m in the minority for agreeing with the author? Must also make me an f—ing idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Well you said it. You can't change physics. There is no way that skiing could have possibly evolved into what it is today without fat skis. You simple can't ski as fast in powder or variable conditions on skinny skis and certainly not mogul skis.

Last edited: