What time of year to buy new skis?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What time of year to buy new skis?

After 20 years of not skiing the SKI BUG bit me bad and Iíve skied a lot this past Ive taken multiple lessons and feel like Iíve advanced way past where I was when I was in my 20ís because of the lessons and better equipment.

I ended up buying Rossignol 75 Experience 160cm skis from a friend who only used them twice for $200 and really like them.

When do I know Iíve outgrown these skis? Should I ski another season on them or upgrade in the off season? Iím only doing groomers and donít plan on going to ski in glades..etc.

When I am ready to upgrade what should I look for in an intermediate ski that I wonít outgrow in two years?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Look on line and find out if there are any more demo days coming up. Back in 2007 or so, I stumbled onto a Good Friday demo day at Loon Mountain. Its really the best way to see how other stuff skis. Most all of the official demo days are a ten dollar registration fee.

Most ski shops cut prices in mid March or so, so you CAN get some decent deals then.

If no local demo days, check in at the ski shop at any mountain. Many times you can demo skis for a fifty dollar fee. That fee covers coming in as often that day as you like to try another ski. My daughter-in-law did that at Sunday River a few years ago, and the final pair she wanted to try, they had to mount bindings for her. It was early March when they did this. She did like that pair best, so she got them at demo prices as they were the last pair in her size. If the ski you want is in stock, they discount it by the fifty dollar fee.

Good luck.

Never.

After years of skiing and ski buying I will never buy new skis again. There is a TON of lightly used gear for sale online at a fraction of original cost. Let someone else take the major retail depreciation hit on in the wrapper skis and save hundreds of dollars is my belief.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

no affiliation but Suburban in CT is having a 50% off sale

https://suburbanskiandbike.com/conte...m_medium=email

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Never.

After years of skiing and ski buying I will never buy new skis again. There is a TON of lightly used gear for sale online at a fraction of original cost. Let someone else take the major retail depreciation hit on in the wrapper skis and save hundreds of dollars is my belief.
    Thanks!

Now and the next few weeks if you plan to buy at a retail brick and mortar store. For establishments, the season in winding down. They'll be shifting gears to Mt Bikes, kayaks and patio furniture in a few weeks.
    SoVT

Late summer / early fall when shops are blowing out the prior season inventory. "Last year's " model of a ski is often the same as the latest with nothing more than different graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Never.

You can take this route, but finding some demo days will help you to decide WHAT you want to search E-Bay and the like for. Sunday River has demo days every Thanksgiving. Ten dollars, multiple ski vendors, you can try lots of gear. Doing that will save you from buying something used that you decide you hate.

At those Loon demo days in 2007, I tried the Atomic Crimson, supposedly the then top of the line skis from Atomic. I could not get down the mountain fast enough to give them back. Absolutely hated them as they just would not ski the way I skied. I'm sure someone else could try them and love them. Finding the right ski is very individualized, so being able to try before you buy can really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    You can take this route, but finding some demo days will help you to decide WHAT you want to search E-Bay and the like for. Sunday River has demo days every Thanksgiving. Ten dollars, multiple ski vendors, you can try lots of gear. Doing that will save you from buying something used that you decide you hate.

At those Loon demo days in 2007, I tried the Atomic Crimson, supposedly the then top of the line skis from Atomic. I could not get down the mountain fast enough to give them back. Absolutely hated them as they just would not ski the way I skied. I'm sure someone else could try them and love them. Finding the right ski is very individualized, so being able to try before you buy can really help.
    Great point - thanks!

Harder to demo, but online they often have great deals on the past years gear or 2. Browse around to see what's available and then look to see if you can demo. Just remember, sometimes it's just sheet graphics difference between model years, but sometimes the same ski will ski differently depending on what a manufacturer did between years if you go this route

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information