• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Glade Conditions

Zand

Getting back out Tuesday for the first time since my adventure at the Loaf last week. Still some minor soreness so I decided to ease back in by hitting Stratton. Just wondering how the woods have been the past few days, heard theirs are mellow but pretty fun.

Also, go to the Sun Bowl lodge over the Main Base lodge, correct?

drjeff

Getting back out Tuesday for the first time since my adventure at the Loaf last week. Still some minor soreness so I decided to ease back in by hitting Stratton. Just wondering how the woods have been the past few days, heard theirs are mellow but pretty fun.

Most of SoVT is still semi recovering from last weekend's liquid event and is a couple of inches of new(er) snow over a firm base right now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

Most of SoVT is still semi recovering from last weekend's liquid event and is a couple of inches of new(er) snow over a firm base right now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Hopefully the warmer nature of tonight's snow will cause it to bond well to the surface. Plus the fact that Stratton is flat as a table doesn't hurt :D

Glenn

Didn't make it there this weekend.But did get out on the snowmobiles yesterday!

Hoping they get some snow out of this next one. Looks like more for the flatlands though. Figures.

Vaughn

Follow up - anyone been to Magic this weekend? Thinking of heading up there Thursday or Friday. How thin and icy is 'thin with icy base' exactly?

We talking rock skis here?

Euler

Follow up - anyone been to Magic this weekend? Thinking of heading up there Thursday or Friday. How thin and icy is 'thin with icy base' exactly?

We talking rock skis here?
No need for rock skis...sorcerer, talisman and heart of magician all skiing well with some bumps, some icy patches and lots of patches of nice soft snow to turn in. Tonights 4-6 inches follwed by days and days of cold will keep it nice for you.

gladerider

yes. there is a new chair so easy to access from the sun bowl lodge it is to the right of the lodge very close to the parking lot.

the glades were icy. i skiied yesterday and today. we got an inch or two last nite but got skiied off in the low angle glades.
they are supposed to get 5" and that should be enuf to bring the glades back to life.

NYDB

yes. there is a new chair so easy to access from the sun bowl lodge it is to the right of the lodge very close to the parking lot.

the glades were icy. i skiied yesterday and today. we got an inch or two last nite but got skiied off in the low angle glades.
they are supposed to get 5" and that should be enuf to bring the glades back to life.

Are you talking about the solstice lift? that lift is 18 years old.

I'll third or 4th the sunbowl lodge for parking on a weekend

gladerider

I'll third or 4th the sunbowl lodge for parking on a weekend

haha you are right. in 30 years of my visits to stratton, i never realized it was that accessible from the parking lot and never took it from there.

Handlebars

Glades were crunchy and skied our on Sunday. Not sure how much the 4-5” they got last night will really make a big difference, needs more than that to really make the rocks and stumps covered.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

icecoast1

The Sunriser 6 pack runs every day out of the Sunbowl, you're thinking of the solstice lift that hardly ever runs, and is pretty much a waste of time to take being right next to a detachable. To answer the original question, yes sunbowl is the place to start, much less crowded and you only have a short walk to the lift

Glenn

I haven't ventured into the woods at all this year unfortunately.

Zand

Been shooting in and out of the woods all day. Definitely on the thin side especially after skiing much deeper bases in Maine. That hardpack underneath is VERY slick. But also a lot of untracked areas as well as some where the new snow packed into the base really well for some good turns. So good enough to ski a little bit but not really to ski glades all day. Groomers are in spiffy shape.

WoodCore

The actual Solstice lift is actually 33 years old. The Poma quad was originally installed in 1986 as the replacement for the original Sunbowl double chair (Heron) and then moved in 2001 when the Sunriser Express was installed. The same can be said for the South American lift which was once upon a time the North American lift going straight up North American (aka Frank's Fall Line) trail, it too was replaced by a HS 6 pack (URSA).

Greg

Staff member
Thinking of hitting Stratton on Sunday given the snow potential Saturday night. How are the trees at Statton setting up? Are they skiable currently?

jaytrem

Thinking of hitting Stratton on Sunday given the snow potential Saturday night. How are the trees at Statton setting up? Are they skiable currently?

Skied all that were accessible from open trails yesterday (multiple times). There are a good amount of rocks poking thru, nothing that bothered us too much though. Lots of fresh if you strayed off the main paths. As long as you don't care about a few scratches on your bases I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Greg

Staff member
Skied all that were accessible from open trails yesterday (multiple times). There are a good amount of rocks poking thru, nothing that bothered us too much though. Lots of fresh if you strayed off the main paths. As long as you don't care about a few scratches on your bases I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Thanks! Beating up skis have never been a concern here. Stratton glades are all new to me so would be interested in learning more and what trails they're accessible from.

spiderpig

Thanks! Beating up skis have never been a concern here. Stratton glades are all new to me so would be interested in learning more and what trails they're accessible from.

Skied the two accessible off Polar Bear the weekend before Christmas and they were pretty doable, aside from the entrance to the one on skier's right. Two relatively short trails that are mostly tight but each open up for a bit. I don't think Stratton has ropes for their glades, so it's really ski at your own risk.

jaytrem

Skied the two accessible off Polar Bear the weekend before Christmas and they were pretty doable, aside from the entrance to the one on skier's right. Two relatively short trails that are mostly tight but each open up for a bit. I don't think Stratton has ropes for their glades, so it's really ski at your own risk.

I did notice one blocked with 2 sticks, it would have led to a closed trail I think. Not super familiar with the place, so not sure. We did each of the Polar Bear ones twice along with Shredwood Forest twice. There is also an unmarked one between Frank's and Tamarack that was pretty nice. Was a little worried it would pop us out onto the active race course, but it ran all the way to the bottom of it.

Looks like the work road might be open now, that would allow access to West Pilot. Upper Middle Brook also now open. Lots of snowmaking going on yesterday.