• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Victor Constant Ski Area / West Point

Killingtime

Sad news. Anyone ever ski here? Didn't know it existed until about a year ago.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...cadet-dies-of-injuries-after-skiing-incident/

West Point cadet dies of injuries after skiing incident

Cadet Peter L. Zhu, a member of the West Point Class of 2019, died Feb. 28 of injuries he suffered days earlier while skiing on the grounds of the academy. (West Point)

West Point Cadet Peter L. Zhu died Thursday, Feb. 28, of his injuries from a Feb. 23 skiing incident on the grounds of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York.

Zhu, 21, a member of the Class of 2019, died with family members by his side at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, New York, according to a Saturday release.

Funky_Catskills

So many people are into posting threads about people dying maybe we should start a separate thread for all of them - then I can ignore it easier.

Cornhead

I don't think it's offensive. It's a good reminder that sliding on snow is a dangerous activity and we shouldn't take that fact for granted. Sorry to rain on your parade. Still hoping to ski Hunter's new terrain soon. If I don't survive, feel free to post about it. I won't mind.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

Now that's weird. Help yourself to my sperm if I don't survive Hunter North, I won't mind. Nice that he's donating his organs though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

So many people are into posting threads about people dying maybe we should start a separate thread for all of them - then I can ignore it easier.

I never really understood why every death has to be posted either but it seems to happen on every skiing message board I read.

BenedictGomez

I never really understand why posting news articles about skiing and snowboarding deaths makes a small minority of some people so uncomfortable. I imagine they don't like to be reminded this can be a dangerous sport, and accidents do happen.

Funky_Catskills

Nobody forced you to click on the thread. Whats wrong with a little compassion?

I got compassion... More than you know..
I personally don't need to be reminded as I read the news..
Why not have one thread? It's just depressing... It's not about being reminded of danger as somebody said..

It just makes me sad that:
A - it happened
B - people need to pass it along for whatever reason(mostly i do not trust this)
C - people start to make guesses about what caused it which I don't agree with and have to hold back.

Funky_Catskills

I never really understood why every death has to be posted either but it seems to happen on every skiing message board I read.

Yup and also I can't stand memorials at ski areas either..
Someday the whole mountain will be covered... People die... fact...

Domeskier

Now that's creepy as ****. I worked at a hospital for 6 years, and I didn't even know that was a thing.

I imagine it could be worth a lot of money to the right couple. I have no idea what else they would do with it if the poor guy does not have a grieving widow. Hire a surrogate to bear a grandchild maybe??

BenedictGomez

I imagine it could be worth a lot of money to the right couple. I have no idea what else they would do with it if the poor guy does not have a grieving widow. Hire a surrogate to bear a grandchild maybe??

That's clearly the intention.

I wonder if there's been prior legal action on this (i.e. what right does another person have to create life with somebody else's genes).

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I got compassion... More than you know..
I personally don't need to be reminded as I read the news..
Why not have one thread? It's just depressing... It's not about being reminded of danger as somebody said..

It just makes me sad that:
A - it happened
B - people need to pass it along for whatever reason(mostly i do not trust this)
C - people start to make guesses about what caused it which I don't agree with and have to hold back.

So make it a sticky "The thread of death " ? I think lumping them all in one thread is a bit dehumanizing , they were all individuals with family and friends .

Agree about the speculation part but I'm all for learning about mistakes of others and not having other people repeat the accident if possible. Unfortunately I'm sure a lot of the accidents had no witnesses.

Bottom line if you don't like it don't read it. I'm not going to censor someone because it makes me feel bad.

cdskier

Bottom line if you don't like it don't read it. I'm not going to censor someone because it makes me feel bad.

Exactly. The title of the thread made it pretty clear what it would be about. It wasn't some deceptive title that someone would have decided to read by accident.

Funky_Catskills

So make it a sticky "The thread of death " ? I think lumping them all in one thread is a bit dehumanizing , they were all individuals with family and friends .

Agree about the speculation part but I'm all for learning about mistakes of others and not having other people repeat the accident if possible. Unfortunately I'm sure a lot of the accidents had no witnesses.

Just my thoughts - take it or leave it..
Didn't expect any censorship. That's just fucked up.. Just personally don't like death threads. And there's been a bunch lately.. But hey - "in first" with the news - so you win some sort of award I'm sure..

Vaughn

Another death at Cannon yesterday per the news. No details but it was reported as a collision which is even sadder. Seems like Cannon has more deaths than the other big NH mountains for some reason.

Smellytele

Another death at Cannon yesterday per the news. No details but it was reported as a collision which is even sadder. Seems like Cannon has more deaths than the other big NH mountains for some reason.

State Police have identified the two people involved in a deadly collision on Cannon Mountain Friday afternoon.
Investigators say 39-year-old Jeremy Keiran of Somerville, Mass., was skiing down the Profile Trail when he lost control and was thrown from his skis.

Advertisement
[h=4]RELATED CONTENT[/h]

According to a news release, Keiran then continued to slide through a roped-off area, off an embankment and onto the Middle Ravine Trail where he collided with 48-year-old Robert Slocum of Newburyport, Mass.
State Police say Keiran was pronounced dead at the scene. Slocum was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

Vaughn

State Police have identified the two people involved in a deadly collision on Cannon Mountain Friday afternoon.
Investigators say 39-year-old Jeremy Keiran of Somerville, Mass., was skiing down the Profile Trail when he lost control and was thrown from his skis.

Advertisement
[h=4]RELATED CONTENT[/h]

According to a news release, Keiran then continued to slide through a roped-off area, off an embankment and onto the Middle Ravine Trail where he collided with 48-year-old Robert Slocum of Newburyport, Mass.
State Police say Keiran was pronounced dead at the scene. Slocum was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

Christ, he must have slid right through the Cannonball lift area then off that lip. I don't have a tactful way to put this but you simply shouldn't have that much speed at the bottom of Profile... Hope the other guy is going to recover quickly, thoughts and prayers to the dead guy's family.