• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Massive avi hits I-70 in Colo. 3-3-19: 2 views

Funky_Catskills

The thought of an avi crossed my mind a few years ago when 70 was stopped dead at the Vail Pass and we just sat in our cars for a few hours waiting..

legalskier

Just the snow cloud hit highway. Avy did not run into highway. This was a natural.

Really?
"Family Describe Avalanche That Sideswiped Them Off I-70"
:

Familyhttps://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/03/05/family-describe-avalanche-that-sideswiped-them-off-1-70/ Describe Avalanche That Sideswiped Them Off 1-70''

Zermatt

Fake news. The avalanche did not hit I-70. These videos just show the powder "debris" cloud from an avalanche that stopped short of the interstate.

I believe both videos are the same avalanche from different directions.

Keelhauled

The avalanche in the OP did not cover I-70. The day after, CDOT triggered one east of Copper that ended up larger than expected and did cover both the east and westbound lanes. Two days later (I think), a natural avalanche covered I-70 near Copper, followed by a triggered one in Vail Pass that covered the road again. Also in the area, CO 24 south of Copper was covered by a natural avalanche yesterday in an area that had never slid before, and A-Basin finally got one of their slide paths on US 6 to come down after two days of trying, which thoroughly covered the road. There have been an incredible number of slides this week in Colorado, including an inbounds one at Breck today.

dlague

The avalanche in the OP did not cover I-70. The day after, CDOT triggered one east of Copper that ended up larger than expected and did cover both the east and westbound lanes. Two days later (I think), a natural avalanche covered I-70 near Copper, followed by a triggered one in Vail Pass that covered the road again. Also in the area, CO 24 south of Copper was covered by a natural avalanche yesterday in an area that had never slid before, and A-Basin finally got one of their slide paths on US 6 to come down after two days of trying, which thoroughly covered the road. There have been an incredible number of slides this week in Colorado, including an inbounds one at Breck today.
It has been crazy in the mountains - frequent snow that us light and fluffy. Most of the winter the winds have been clearing snow but over the past two weeks the winds were not that crazy. Snow banks on the way to Breck are taller that the vehicles.

All the while the front range has been relatively dry with little snow. With the sun being so strong it melts fast. Funny thing, we have relatives and friends who call us all concerned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app