• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl Head (Quebec) to Replace Aging HSQ

thetrailboss

Staff member
I had no idea that this lift was the first (modern) HSQ in the world....and moved from Breckenridge to Owls Head in 1999. It will be replaced with a fixed grip quad with a carpet.

https://liftblog.com/2019/03/04/owls-head-to-replace-lake-lift/

One of those places that I want to ski someday. I never made it to here or Sutton when I was in the NEK. Now regret it. I also regret not going to the Balsams.

Glenn

I had thought detectables came out in the late 80's, not 1981. Learn something new ever day!

Also interesting that a fixed grip will go in its place.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I had thought detectables came out in the late 80's, not 1981. Learn something new ever day!

Also interesting that a fixed grip will go in its place.

Yes. Some of the commenters in that post don't think that is a good idea.

machski

Not sure what it's line length is, but given the black chair right next to it is also a detach and that serves novice and intermediate terrain, going with a FGQ here might not be a bad option. Sounds like the new owners may have expansion plans, would be interesting to see how the new lift and it's current terrain pod fit into that vision.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Owl's Head is a fun area with some very good mid-week deals. But their lifts are ancient. There is a reason why they have not gone bankrupt. They are extremely frugal.

trackbiker

I skied there a few weeks ago on a Friday and that chair was not running. It doesn't provide access to much more terrain than the chair next to it. It appears to service slopeside houses more than anything.
It's a pretty nice set up with slopeside and lakeside housing if you can afford it. The houses there looked pretty nice.

Keelhauled

It’s the same chair as Eagle at Solitude

Not really, both lifts long predate the Doppelmayr/CTEC merger. Eagle was built by a CTEC/VonRoll joint venture (but mostly VonRoll) and Lake was built by Doppelmayr.