• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

Teleskier

Was never a "see Utah" trip, was "explore PC as single city destination" trip

if you're flying across continent, paying for a week or more of lodging, and intending to "Ski Utah

Firstly, thank you for explaining.

Now I see what you meant, and I also see the disconnect for why we were talking past each other.

Even though I never said that, perhaps I own the mis-impression that I was ever ‘trying to see Utah’. That was never the case. And yes, were that the case, a car would be vital.

My intent from the start was to “ski a new place on my expensive ski pass.” In spring of the prior year, once I committed to EPIC, I listed out all the areas in the world on their pass and picked one. (Some years I pick two or three).

My choice happened to be Park City, based largely on:
  1. All the forum input here (ie, crowd sourcing, probably the first time it’s ever let me down)
  2. Years of hearing hearsay about Utah snow
  3. Web reviews (can now see how locals calling everything “world-class” would throw me off)
  4. First-ever Park City TV commercials running in Boston showing people actually drinking wine (when I had assumed it was a dry state from the Mormons, turns out I was half right, as a proper drink or proper beer was impossible to find and actually illegal [“no more than 1oz spirits”, etc])

My intent from the start was to fully see, experience (food, wine, shop, beer) and ski Park City as a sole destination (on my ski pass). Park City - town and ski.

Which I feel I fully did, from skiing every part of the mountain to trying every class of restaurants and bars in every part of town (except I regret I never got over to satellite Deer Valley since I had no faith, that the transit which couldn’t get me around PC proper w/o taking hours, could get me to DV even further away).

I have planned and done trips where I intended to “ski Austria” where I skied 12 pre-planned ski areas and drove all around the country (THAT was “world class”). This was not that kind of trip, it was a single city destination trip.

Now you and I can argue over whether Park City, as the ‘biggest and best known’ ski area in Utah, is a truly representative sample of the overall state. Just like discussions I have with Canadians and Europeans over whether NYC (as ‘biggest and best known’ US city) is truly representative of America, or not. I’d be the first to defend NYC is not Boston just as Hunter is not Vermont.

My experience was 100% Park City. Apart from the alcohol experience which is state-wide Utah laws.

Teleskier's the type who goes on a trip to NYC and eats at Sbarro.

The Sbarro thing is too funny, as you couldn’t be more wrong (not that it matters, I’m just some guy on the internet to you, and you’re the same to me).

I come from a wanderlust culture. I travelled a lot as a kid with my family as a core value. Then at 17 I travelled Europe solo for three months - at a time in American culture where this concept literally freaked out all the other parents in my small town. (“How could you LET him go to EUROPE!!” as if that were some horrible place not called Indiana). I’ve been travelling for decades ever since, as a cultural core value.

Note that my Park City trip planning began a whole year prior. This is indicative of the planning ahead and trip planning I do. I happen to lead group wine trips, ski trips and cycling trips here and in Europe and Asia where I’m actually known for truly getting into places beyond the usual tourist sights. I routinely put together 300-800 page research planning documents for my trips.

This was never a “see Utah trip,” it was an “explore PC on EPIC” (which is at most, just a slice of Utah) trip.

Again, thanks for sharing, I see the disconnect and understand your car/etc points now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Firstly, thank you for explaining.

Now I see what you meant, and I also see the disconnect for why we were talking past each other.

Even though I never said that, perhaps I own the mis-impression that I was ever ‘trying to see Utah’. That was never the case. And yes, were that the case, a car would be vital.

My intent from the start was to “ski a new place on my expensive ski pass.” In spring of the prior year, once I committed to EPIC, I listed out all the areas in the world on their pass and picked one. (Some years I pick two or three).

My choice happened to be Park City, based largely on:
  1. All the forum input here (ie, crowd sourcing, probably the first time it’s ever let me down)
  2. Years of hearing hearsay about Utah snow
  3. Web reviews (can now see how locals calling everything “world-class” would throw me off)
  4. First-ever Park City TV commercials running in Boston showing people actually drinking wine (when I had assumed it was a dry state from the Mormons, turns out I was half right, as a proper drink or proper beer was impossible to find and actually illegal [“no more than 1oz spirits”, etc])

My intent from the start was to fully see, experience (food, wine, shop, beer) and ski Park City as a sole destination (on my ski pass). Park City - town and ski.

Which I feel I fully did, from skiing every part of the mountain to trying every class of restaurants and bars in every part of town (except I regret I never got over to satellite Deer Valley since I had no faith, that the transit which couldn’t get me around PC proper w/o taking hours, could get me to DV even further away).

I have planned and done trips where I intended to “ski Austria” where I skied 12 pre-planned ski areas and drove all around the country (THAT was “world class”). This was not that kind of trip, it was a single city destination trip.

Now you and I can argue over whether Park City, as the ‘biggest and best known’ ski area in Utah, is a truly representative sample of the overall state. Just like discussions I have with Canadians and Europeans over whether NYC (as ‘biggest and best known’ US city) is truly representative of America, or not. I’d be the first to defend NYC is not Boston just as Hunter is not Vermont.

My experience was 100% Park City. Apart from the alcohol experience which is state-wide Utah laws.

The Sbarro thing is too funny, as you couldn’t be more wrong (not that it matters, I’m just some guy on the internet to you, and you’re the same to me).

I come from a wanderlust culture. I travelled a lot as a kid with my family as a core value. Then at 17 I travelled Europe solo for three months - at a time in American culture where this concept literally freaked out all the other parents in my small town. (“How could you LET him go to EUROPE!!” as if that were some horrible place not called Indiana). I’ve been travelling for decades ever since, as a cultural core value.

Note that my Park City trip planning began a whole year prior. This is indicative of the planning ahead and trip planning I do. I happen to lead group wine trips, ski trips and cycling trips here and in Europe and Asia where I’m actually known for truly getting into places beyond the usual tourist sights. I routinely put together 300-800 page research planning documents for my trips.

This was never a “see Utah trip,” it was an “explore PC on EPIC” (which is at most, just a slice of Utah) trip.

Again, thanks for sharing, I see the disconnect and understand your car/etc points now.

The bottom line is that you did not like Park City for a number of reasons. We got it last year. No need to beat a dead horse.

tekweezle

Snowbird/Alta just got 42 Inches of snow in 3 days. You can't have a bad time when conditions are like that. Even the taste of mediocre resort cafeteria food is improved.

snoseek

Snowbird/Alta just got 42 Inches of snow in 3 days. You can't have a bad time when conditions are like that. Even the taste of mediocre resort cafeteria food is improved.

That cycle topped out just past 50 inches at alta. Another foot or two coming in now. Yeah the booze thing here is ridiculous....I do know we are maybe gonna get regular beer in stores soon Im told...if all goes well. Also .05 bac seems a little overkill. I dislike the nanny state things but the churches days are numbered and the outdoors is a hell of a consolation prize.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That cycle topped out just past 50 inches at alta. Another foot or two coming in now. Yeah the booze thing here is ridiculous....I do know we are maybe gonna get regular beer in stores soon Im told...if all goes well. Also .05 bac seems a little overkill. I dislike the nanny state things but the churches days are numbered and the outdoors is a hell of a consolation prize.

We'll get regular booze if we are good boys and girls. :roll:

And wow, today was really nice. Still snowing up there. 2-3" of fresh that was nice to ski. Nobody at Alta either....