• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still, the point remains, "business is up" at Solitude is still BELOW other resorts!!!

Why am I bothering talking to a stone wall?

That was not my point. Never has been. Solitude, year over year, is a lot busier than it has been historically. It's apples to oranges comparing Solitude to others.

abc

That was not my point. Solitude, year over year, is a lot busier than it has been historically. That's been my point all along. It's apples to oranges comparing Solitude to others.
You were advising people NOT to go to Solitude because it's "busier".... But they should go to Brighton!

And yet, you're NOT comparing Solitude with Brighton? Just because Solitude is busier than itself...

I give up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You were advising people NOT to go to Solitude because it's "busier".... But they should go to Brighton!

And yet, you're NOT comparing Solitude with Brighton? Just because Solitude is busier than itself...

I give up.

The OP way back when threw out some options for this weekend. I suggested against Solitude because it has been very busy this year. That's a fact. I did suggest Alta or Brighton based on the weather. Those resorts, that I ski often, are good options considering the weather that we had. Are both busier than they have been? Sure. But I hear a lot of grumbling from locals about Solitude and have firsthand seen the ungodly parking situation this season.

Solitude is indeed a lot busier than it has historically been. Call it because of the snow or the Ikon Pass, it just is. Just calling it as it is. It's fine if you disagree.

Last edited:

p_levert

Gotta agree with abc. Solitude is parking-constrained and for this reason operates under its true skier capacity. Get there early to avoid parking problems, or ride the bus, and you will have a pleasant day on the slopes.

lerops

Fwiw, I skied Alta, Solitude and Brighton with a week. Solitude was by far the least busy, even on a weekend day. Rarely rode with others on the lift. Brighton was way busier even though I skied there on a weekday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimk

Traffic in LCC is a growing issue, no denying, but at this point of the season it's not a problem for the most part. I've been living near the mouth of BCC since 1st of March and mostly skiing Snowbird, about 15 days in March. Saturday, March 9, 2019 was a special day - and not in a good way. I had skied the previous two days in great powder conditions. That morning there was more new snow, but this is not good for Saturday traffic. I decided to wait and go to the mtn around noon. They had closed the LCC access road from 6-8AM. My son got in traffic about 645AM and got to Snowbird about 930AM. When I heard this and other reports of folks taking even longer, I bagged skiing and went snowshoeing with my wife in Mill Creek Canyon. We went by the mouth of BCC at noon and saw a huge line of traffic on Wasatch BLVD trying to get up BCC. I later heard that they had closed BCC too because there was too many cars up there. They actually were turning cars around up near Sol/Bright and sending them back down. I also heard cars were parked along the BCC road for a mile or two below Soli that day - huge mess.

Morale of story - beware of LCC and BCC on snowy weekends in prime ski season.

There are a lot of IKON visitors here this winter and I've talked to many on the lifts, but these huge powder day crowds are mainly driven by locals coming out of the woodwork! I'm told there are people here in UT who own a season pass and only use it on powder days.

machski

Traffic in LCC is a growing issue, no denying, but at this point of the season it's not a problem for the most part. I've been living near the mouth of BCC since 1st of March and mostly skiing Snowbird, about 15 days in March. Saturday, March 9, 2019 was a special day - and not in a good way. I had skied the previous two days in great powder conditions. That morning there was more new snow, but this is not good for Saturday traffic. I decided to wait and go to the mtn around noon. They had closed the LCC access road from 6-8AM. My son got in traffic about 645AM and got to Snowbird about 930AM. When I heard this and other reports of folks taking even longer, I bagged skiing and went snowshoeing with my wife in Mill Creek Canyon. We went by the mouth of BCC at noon and saw a huge line of traffic on Wasatch BLVD trying to get up BCC. I later heard that they had closed BCC too because there was too many cars up there. They actually were turning cars around up near Sol/Bright and sending them back down. I also heard cars were parked along the BCC road for a mile or two below Soli that day - huge mess.

There are a lot of IKON visitors here this winter and I've talked to many on the lifts, but these huge powder day crowds are mainly driven by locals coming out of the woodwork! I'm told there are people here in UT who own a season pass and only use it on powder days.
Perfect example where you cannot blame Ikon alone, especially in LCC as you get a Maximum 7 days combined in that Canyon on an Ikon. Too many weekends with too much traffic to blame Ikon exclusively, especially given the powder starved locals in Utah. My business brings me into SLC on the general aviiation side quite often. Last year when I asked how the skiing was with the rampies, most said they hadn't even boothered due to lack of snow/powder. If that is the wasatch local's mentality, there is the answer. While I hope this scenario does not play out, if next year were to be warmer and drier in the Wasatch, would be interesting to see the congestion or lack there of.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I'm told there are people here in UT who own a season pass and only use it on powder days.

That is so bizarre. I would suggest those people don't even truly like skiing that much if you only go a handful of days/year, and refuse to ski in anything but the best conditions.

tumbler

I was at Solitude March 9th and the locals I rode the lift with said it was the busiest they had ever seen it. Lift lines were pretty long in the morning but got much better in the afternoon. Looking at the road from the hill you could see cars parked everywhere. FWIW I'm not Ikon...;-)

jimk

That is so bizarre. I would suggest those people don't even truly like skiing that much if you only go a handful of days/year, and refuse to ski in anything but the best conditions.

Additionally, powder days (particularly Sat and Sundays) can be so crazy-busy that it wrings some of the joy out of the day. And they can also be low visibility, which you can deal with by staying in the trees, but it cuts down on the amount of useable terrain. I really enjoy low-crowd sunny weekdays in the spring following the sun around the mtn. Geezer thrills.:razz:

abc

That is so bizarre.

if you only go a handful of days/year, and refuse to ski in anything but the best conditions.
Utah skiers can afford it!

Most people define a "powder day" as days with more than 6". By that definition, Utah skiers can have a "handful" of powder days IN A MONTH!

With a typical season of 4-5 month, that's more than many here who ski a year IN ANY CONDITION!

Even in the northeast, we have more powder days we remember. Unfortunately, many of us live too far away and have jobs that doesn't allow skiing EVERY powder days. But the lucky majority Utah skiers are only 1/2 hr from the mountain. And SOME business do allow people to come in late (or not come in at all) on a powder day. So yes, they can ski just about EVERY powder day!

And best of all, Alta/Snowbird have on average 20-30 powder (6"+) days in its long and plentiful season.

Last edited:

ironhippy

A few years ago I was skiing every weekend day and every other day I could.
Lately I've been into winter biking, as a result I ski less and less each year. I generally only pick days when the snow is soft and lift lines minimal.

I love skiing, but I also love riding my bike and snow shoeing, cross country skiing, etc. etc. I only downhill ski when the conditions are good. In fact, I've skipped days that would be good because I knew the hill would be crowded and I'd spend more time in line than skiing.

If you have other activities you enjoy as much as skiing (which could be back country skiing) I can easily see having a pass in Utah and only going to the resort when there is fresh snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The real test will be next season, especially if it is a low snow year or even an average season.

AdironRider

Then whatever resort that has snow (which historically has been Jackson - we rarely have huge swings from terrible to awesome from year to year) is going to be borderline un-skiable due to crowds.

snoseek

Bunch of powder princesses.
Im so guilty of this for this season. I haven't skied since Sunday as its been warm and dry...real warm. Powder got nuked to hell and the local mtb trails are opening. When we were getting hit hard I made a point to get on...I need to ski more and not have midsummer regrets

thetrailboss

Staff member
Im so guilty of this for this season. I haven't skied since Sunday as its been warm and dry...real warm. Powder got nuked to hell and the local mtb trails are opening. When we were getting hit hard I made a point to get on...I need to ski more and not have midsummer regrets

Spring skiing here is awesome. And hardly anyone comes to do it!