• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

Skrn

Thanks! Likely will go to Brighton then. Will it be early enough if we get to the mouth of canyon by 730am?

Generally, it has been less busy. That said, last Sunday it was packed at Snowbird. Normally I would say Solitude, but not this year because it is on the Ikon pass.

Best thing is to get up early....Alta or Brighton probably. I think weather will be an issue tomorrow and will limit Snowbird.

snoseek

There was a couple hard snow days this week but we got half a foot of dense snow and a bit this afternoon. The right aspects were skiing good today. Wildcat chair made a good recovery that's for sure. Carherines was great as well. Maybe some more Sunday?

Oh and I think crowds are starting to slack a bit. Lot of people leaving in the next week at least Im hopeful.

asnowmobiler

The parking lots at Solitude and Brighton were overflowing today, We parked fairly close to the lodge at 8:30, it was a zoo shorty afterwards. Had a few ten minute lift lines, I don’t remember having too many of them before but still not bad at all.
The conditions were perfect on the groomed trails that I enjoy and I’m told the backcountry was awesome if you know where to go.

Skrn

Skied Alta today (Saturday). We arrived around 815am and there weren’t so many cars. We were able to parked very closed to the lodge. The parking lot was eventually filled late morning. Collins lift had about 5 minutes lift line in the morning. Other lifts had very short or no line. Lodge was not overcrowded either. Also no traffic going in or out of the canyon. So today is fine in terms of crowds.

With 4” snow fall before the first chair, the skiing was great in the morning. As temperature rising during the day, the snow becomes wet around noon, becoming harder to ski, especially at lower mountain. After 2pm, the snow facing sun became corn which was great to ski. Also found better snow in the trees.

abc

Normally I would say Solitude, but not this year because it is on the Ikon pass.
That’s probably this season’s #1 misleading myth!

I skied Solitude 3 different days: Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Guess what? There’s never any lines! Any of those days!!! The lines at Brighton was longer.

And my buddy skied Solitude 2 of the major powder days. No lines then either!!!

What you may encounter, is having to park 1/2 mile away, if you arrive after 10.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That’s probably this season’s #1 misleading myth!

I skied Solitude 3 different days: Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Guess what? There’s never any lines! Any of those days!!! The lines at Brighton was longer.

And my buddy skied Solitude 2 of the major powder days. No lines then either!!!

What you may encounter, is having to park 1/2 mile away, if you arrive after 10.

Well, what are you using as a comparison? It may not be as crowded as to other places, but for Solitude itself, it has been much busier with parking being the big issue as you said.

p_levert

I skied at the Solitude a couple of weeks ago, and I did notice that the parking lot was undersized (not enough toilets either...). So what exactly happens if the two lots are full? Is there an overflow lot with a bus, or do you just park along the road with a long walk to the base? Please advise.

abc

True, but it is more crowded than it was. Personally, doesn't impact me. If anything, I say everyone should ski at Solitude! :lol:
Even though it would have impacted me (though not any more at this point of the season), I'd still say people should ski at Solitude if they want to avoid crowd. Because everywhere else, they'd be worse off!

To say Solitude is the only one that's unlimited, therefore must be most crowded, is just a theory that wasn't supported by evidence.

p_levert

So presumably Solitude owners would like to expand the lot, but are blocked by NFS red tape? Of course, the alternative to all of this is to park at the bottom of the canyon and ride the bus. And then enjoy the uncrowded slopes at Solitude.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So presumably Solitude owners would like to expand the lot, but are blocked by NFS red tape? Of course, the alternative to all of this is to park at the bottom of the canyon and ride the bus. And then enjoy the uncrowded slopes at Solitude.

So the "owners" are Alterra. And for less than a year. So I don't think they've thought that far ahead yet. They are still figuring things out. Look for them to replace the Sunrise this year with an HSQ. That was in the works when DV owned it.

As to the bus, yes, the parking lots down there are also overflowing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Even though it would have impacted me (though not any more at this point of the season), I'd still say people should ski at Solitude if they want to avoid crowd. Because everywhere else, they'd be worse off!

To say Solitude is the only one that's unlimited, therefore must be most crowded, is just a theory that wasn't supported by evidence.

And do you live out here and ski in the Canyons every weekend as I do?