• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

Teleskier

proper expectations are everything

Canyons has all the things I hate about a resort, from huge mansions on the mountain to roads that go under the lifts to the complete and utter over developed feeling. It felt like I was skiing in an unaffordable real estate advertisement. [But...] I was shocked at how much I liked Canyons. I really didn't love Park City (the mountain) with the exception of a few areas. Even though the town of Park City was cool and fun for nightlife, the next time I go I would stay at Alta/Snowbird.

Good write up and helpful, thanks for sharing.

I wasn’t able to share my tips before you left (actually avoided it so as to not draw more Utah fire), but sounds like you did PC right and called it right:
  • Casual burger and beer
  • Don’t be shocked by skiing between all the “1%” mansions (no one mentioned to me)
  • Don’t expect world class pizza despite over-inflated local proclamations :)
  • Don’t expect ‘the world’s best burger’ despite over-inflated local proclamations
  • [Me] Don’t expect Aspen/Austria/Vermont/elsewhere food or wine or beer scene
  • [Me] Don’t expect full-sized drinks or adult-strength beer despite Utah TV commercials
  • Do expect fun bluebird powder (except on the years they don’t have it)
From the Utah-lovers here (they’re allowed) who promoted Utah here so much, that I gave it a try based on their advice last year… they had me expecting:
  • “best in the world” food scene
  • “best in the world” wine scene
  • “best in the world” brewery scene
  • “best in the world” public transport
  • "best in the world" wide-open terrain uncrowded western powder skiing (etc)
…. so it inflated my expectations much higher than anything that PC could ever be capable of delivering. It was no Aspen.

It was also their worst snow year last year; windy, grey, crusted-over hard pack - which didn’t help my first (and never again) Utah experience that had me realize (like never before) that I need full-sized and adult-strength beer at après-ski for my own personal ski vacations. Other's mileage may vary. :)

Proper expectations are everything… sounds like you had them set right, and thus had a good time.

Glad you had a fun and bluebird trip, and sounds like you got some amazing customer service to boot.

Last edited:

snoseek

Park city is breck west...not that there's anything wrong with that but there are other places in Utah to ski some would argue better. Byob. ..Im not a huge drinker so that doesn't matter too much. My supply for pot is limitless and cheap fwiw.

Anyhow I sure do hope you made it up here. This storm again overdelivering!

BenedictGomez

I just ran the newest models, and next Tuesday/Wednesday has trended much colder on the GFS (still too warm on the Canuck), so there's a chance for something nice there.

Edd

which didn’t help my first (and never again) Utah experience that had me realize (like never before) that I need full-sized and adult-strength beer at après-ski for my own personal ski vacations. Other's mileage may vary. :)

LOL! Yeah, i need that too.

abc

From the Utah-lovers here (they’re allowed) who promoted Utah here so much, that I gave it a try based on their advice last year… they had me expecting:

One man's ceiling is another man's floor!

Park City (NOT "Utah"), isn't the "best in the world" of anything. It's plenty nice in many aspect. A lot of people find it a well-balanced place to live, to ski, to vacation. But "best"??? Anyone who believe in that, well, deserves the disappointment, I'm afraid.

Now, UTAH does more often than not have the BEST snow in the world! It's just not in Park City!!!

Park City on the other hand, probably have some of the "best" IN UTAH food and drink options. But Utah isn't the world.

Zand

Went to hop on the 8:20 bus...didn't arrive till 8:50 then took till 10:05 to get to Alta. Should've known better with all the advice to get up early. Missed first tracks but still an epic day. 20"+ up top. Mob scene though although it has calmed down a bit in the past hour.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I wasn’t able to share my tips before you left (actually avoided it so as to not draw more Utah fire), but sounds like you did PC right and called it right:
  • Casual burger and beer
  • Don’t be shocked by skiing between all the “1%” mansions (no one mentioned to me)
  • Don’t expect ‘the world’s best burger’ despite over-inflated local proclamations
  • [Me] Don’t expect full-sized drinks or adult-strength beer despite Utah TV commercials
…. so it inflated my expectations much higher than anything that PC could ever be capable of delivering. It was no Aspen.

It was also their worst snow year last year; windy, grey, crusted-over hard pack - which didn’t help my first (and never again) Utah experience that had me realize (like never before) that I need full-sized and adult-strength beer at après-ski for my own personal ski vacations. Other's mileage may vary. :)

Proper expectations are everything… sounds like you had them set right, and thus had a good time.

Glad you had a fun and bluebird trip, and sounds like you got some amazing customer service to boot.

As soon as I saw the knock on public transit, I realized who this was and decided not to offer a substantive response other than to say, "to each thine own." :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just ran the newest models, and next Tuesday/Wednesday has trended much colder on the GFS (still too warm on the Canuck), so there's a chance for something nice there.

NWS/NOAA said another "significant" event is coming. Considering that this storm was "insignificant", on the order of forecast 1" snow, but turned into 10", it could be good next week...

This year they have been underestimating them.

Skrn

I don’t drink much so wouldn’t comment on wine.

In terms of food, PC has a lot of very nice upper end restaurants. Cottonwood Heights has a lot of cheaper restaurants with great quality. They are definitely not the best in the world. But in terms of price/quality ratio and variety, the restaurant scene there blew most New England ski towns (as well as Boston) out of the water. I wouldn’t draw conclusion based on the quality of pizza in one restaurant.

• Casual burger and beer

Zand

If anyone is coming up to LCC tomorrow it hasn't stopped dumping the entire day. I really DON'T want to go to Jackson tonight lol.

snoseek

If anyone is coming up to LCC tomorrow it hasn't stopped dumping the entire day. I really DON'T want to go to Jackson tonight lol.

Yeah you got a good one that's for sure!

abc

Then don’t go.

I always ski for snow, not terrain.

(But I’m breaking my own rule by planning a trip to Tahoe in 2 weeks instead of Utah — For the terrain more than for the snow quality)

jimk

Snowbird 3/29/19. Zand hit the jackpot. One of the best days in LCC in the last month. Good, deep snow and not too crowded or terrible traffic.
DSCN0307.jpg
DSCN0340.jpgDSCN0315.jpg
DSCN0372.jpgDSCN0421.jpg

crazy

The Utah ski areas had gotten a big dumping over the weekend, so there was plenty of powder to be found. Spent the afternoon skiing the Motherlode, Silverlode and McConkey lift. McConkey's Bowl and the areas off that lift were my favorites. Ate dinner at Wasatch Brew Pub (as per one of your suggestions)...it was perfect for what we were looking for (casual burger and a beer).

I had dinner this night with a buddy who live in PC at No Name Saloon. It was okay. My buddy said, best burger in PC. I say, good music but the burger was fine at best. My buddy and his daughter who I was traveling with ate at Shabu and loved it.

The plan for Thursday (March 14th) was to do Snowbird or Solitude, but the canyon roads were closed until about 10am so we skied at PC-Canyons. I had heard some negative things about Canyons, but was proven very, very wrong.

A couple of notes...I found Alta to be amazing. I was shocked at how much I liked Canyons. I really didn't love Park City (the mountain) with the exception of a few areas. Even though the town of Park City was cool and fun for nightlife, the next time I go I would stay at Alta/Snowbird. No nightlife whatsoever, but who cares, I'm there for the skiing. Plus it eliminates the road closure issues. If I were there with the family, I might stay in PC again though. Flying into SLC was simple and it was cool to be on the mountain the same day.

mikec142 thanks for sharing your experiences here! Quoting some selected things that I would like to respond to:

- Make sure to check out the Jupiter area of PCMR next time your're there. It's my favorite part of the mountain. It's probably the most removed part of the resort, and the terrain and snowfall are much more similar to what you would find in BCC than anything else in the Park City area, in fact the snowfall specifically in the Jupiter area isn't far off from what Solitude gets
- No Name does NOT have the best burger in Park City! I don't know who does, but it's not theirs :beer:! High West for one has a MUCH better burger

- No surprise you loved Alta :razz: who doesn't!

- Glad you loved the Canyons. It's a pretty complex mountain to navigate, but it has some super cool terrain, including great steeps, glades, and bump runs. It also has excellent sidecountry if you have the proper experience

crazy

I hope this doesn't come off as too condescending, but are you joking? Who the heck told you Utah had "best in the world" for ANY of the categories you posted :p? Whoever told you that was either being facetious, is delusional, or you're trolling.

Utah unquestionably HAS all of the above. But "best in the world"? Doubtful.

- Food scene: Maybe Utah stacks up well compared to other ski towns, but the best food scenes in the US are on the coasts in big cities. Think New Orleans, New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles. You ain't finding the best chefs, best grown food, or anything in Utah. That's not to say that there aren't very nice restaurants in Park City and beyond. They're just not "best in the world" status
- Wine scene: I'm not even going to respond to this
- Brewery scene: Not going to respond to this either, you have to be kidding
- Public transport: Let's be honest, Utah's skiing-related public transport is better than almost anywhere else in the country. You can go from the airport to Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, Park City, and Deer Valley all on public transport. But nowhere in the US compared to Europe for public transport, let's be real
- Wide-open terrain uncrowded western powder skiing: In what world are ski resorts with the best snow in North America next to a major metropolitan area with cheap direct flights from many major cities not going to be crowded? Check out Sun Valley, Big Sky, Aspen, or a handful of lesser known resorts to avoid crowds.

:p