• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

snoseek

Snowing lightly at alta right now. Things should be good by tomorrow afternoon and even better on Wednesday.

BenedictGomez

Snowing lightly at alta right now. Things should be good by tomorrow afternoon and even better on Wednesday.

If they get 10" from this, will that be a bad driving scene Wednesday morning, or does it take more than 10" to create traffic chaos?

snoseek

Be going up the mouth by 745 and you'll be fine. Or just take the bus

BenedictGomez

Snowed lightly most of the day at Deer Valley today, as such, conditions slightly improved as the day went on. It was elevation dependent though, stayed snow on the mountain, but I'm guessing it was light drizzle in the parking lot as their was no snow on my vehicle.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, that ahole's doing 4 nights on Main Street. Great way for a hasbeen to endear himself with the local populace. FWIW, he's wrong too. I can think of at least 3 places right on Main Street open past 9pm on a weeknight, and a few off Main as well. What a d-nozzle.

BenedictGomez

For a ski day off, I highly recommend Antelope Island State Park. The place is absolutely beautiful. Plenty of critters too, we saw bison, antelope, mule deer, and countless birds today.

20190404-185725.jpg

20190404-184858.jpg

Teleskier

Yeah, that ahole's doing 4 nights on Main Street. Great way for a hasbeen to endear himself with the local populace. FWIW, he's wrong too. I can think of at least 3 places right on Main Street open past 9pm on a weeknight, and a few off Main as well. What a d-nozzle.

Don't know that guy, but I will say I had the same exact impression as him. For 10-days I sampled a mix of highest-rated tourist spots on Main Street, as well as the more local hangouts out where I was staying.

You'd be hard-pressed to find much open past 9pm. 'Late' for places was 10pm, even at the most 'happening' hip-for-them spots which IMO weren't all that 'happening'. "Casual cowboy food" and "Boring" are the two words that come to mind.

Whereas despite Zand's joke about Vermont being rural, nonetheless I do know lots of places in Vermont to eat open to midnight, which truly are fun and happening scenes.

At the time, I did feel it was strange that for a city (it's even in Park City's name), it would close earlier than pristine green rural low-population Vermont.

I chalked it up to being a Utah thing or Mormon thing.

The general vibe i got was... "everyone goes to bed early here, 'city' or no city."

Plus, how long does it take to drink one of their kids-sized drinks at the bar anyway? No wonder everyone goes home by 8pm. :)

Skrn

I did some quick research to see if it is really true that there is no restaurant open after 9pm. So I opened google map and searched park city restaurant. Then I click into each restaurant to see when they close. With in a minute (I checked 10 restaurants), I found 7 restaurants open past 9pm.

Butchers chop house - open until midnight
Yulai Yama sushi - open until 10pm
Riverhouse on main - 10pm
No name saloon and grill - 2am
Shabu - 10pm
Cafe terigo - 10pm
The spur bar and grill - 1am

So if that guy cant find an open restaurant past 9pm and had to go to bed hungry, it says more about his intelligence level than anything else.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't know that guy, but I will say I had the same exact impression as him. For 10-days I sampled a mix of highest-rated tourist spots on Main Street, as well as the more local hangouts out where I was staying.

You'd be hard-pressed to find much open past 9pm. 'Late' for places was 10pm, even at the most 'happening' hip-for-them spots which IMO weren't all that 'happening'. "Casual cowboy food" and "Boring" are the two words that come to mind.

Yes, we know that the public transportation also sucks....

Whereas despite Zand's joke about Vermont being rural, nonetheless I do know lots of places in Vermont to eat open to midnight, which truly are fun and happening scenes.

At the time, I did feel it was strange that for a city (it's even in Park City's name), it would close earlier than pristine green rural low-population Vermont.

Newsflash: Burlington, Stowe, and Killington are not what I consider to be "pristine green rural low-population Vermont," and that's coming from a Vermonter. Sure, there are places in resort areas and Burlington that are open past 9pm. But I would not generalize beyond that.

Teleskier

Here comes the "Utah = best in world" crowd. Yeah, we all know it by now.

Last year was PC has better transport than NYC and Europe.

This year you guys added "PC has better culinary scene than Boston." Out of touch.

Yes, we all know it's best in the world. Waiting for "PC has more places open later than NYC" coming next.

Obviously people are protecting their rentals or something here. It's insane out of touch with reality.

1. Google times are notoriously off. Please walk into the Saloon at 9:30pm and tell me just how good your "world class" meal was.
2. Most of the time in PC you get... "The bar is open until the Google time, but the kitchen closed an hour ago"
3. You look around and don't really blame them... "Yeah, this place looks like it's been empty of diners for a long while. Wow, you folks all eat early out here."

I'm waiting for "Utah is greener than Vermont" next...

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here comes the "Utah = best in world" crowd. Yeah, we all know it by now.

So that is not me. I've never said that at all.

This year you guys added "PC has better culinary scene than Boston." Out of touch.

Yes, we all know it's best in the world. Waiting for "PC has more places open later than NYC" coming next.

Obviously people are protecting their rentals or something here. It's insane out of touch with reality.

1. Google times are notoriously off. Please walk into the Saloon at 9:30pm and tell me just how good your "world class" meal was.
2. Most of the time in PC you get... "The bar is open until the Google time, but the kitchen closed an hour ago"
3. You look around and don't really blame them... "Yeah, this place looks like it's been empty of diners for a long while. Wow, you folks all eat early out here."

I'm waiting for "Utah is greener than Vermont" next...

Huh?! :blink: What are you smoking?

Teleskier

And as I remember back, this "kitchen closes early in PC" topic ties in with my primary beef with the poor PC bus transit.

It took so long for this city transit system (not just from all the unscheduled 'dropping by the next driver's house'/etc) to get me from Canyons to my PC hotel, that by the time I got home HOURS later, and jumped in the shower, every night (using the poor busses again to get me from hotel to downtown), I was in danger of NOT making it to restaurants in time before their kitchens closed ridiculously early. (Ridiculous for a CITY).

DAILY! NIGHTLY! Every single day of my week+ there.

It was routine each night walking into several restaurants, only to hear their kitchen is closed, and then was in a panic walking as fast as I could to the next closest restaurant (this was city, not country), REPEAT. Especially when going to non-tourist local places out where my hotel was.

"Back late from Canyons yet again, no time for apres, only quick shower, no time for a bus to take me downtown, I'll just WALK to local places near hotel where I don't need to rely on the poor busses." Still found closed kitchen after closed kitchen.

Even on Main Street, I'd frequently be the last diner in the place. "Cowboys eat early."

It was a nightly occurrence. For me. A daily and nightly annoyance for me. Thus I said, this place is clearly not for me.

I cut a small rural New England ski town slack IF they'd close early (and they don't), but a CITY? PC has more of a 1950's suburban dining time and vibe and cuisine, than a modern city.

Your view may be different, but that guy's experience certainly matches mine to a tee!

Skrn

Never used PC public transit so I can’t speak for it. After seeing this post, I definitely understand your frustration towards PC. Just curious why you chose to ski canyon (or end the day at canyon) everyday while staying at PC? I remember it takes about 50 minutes (lift plus skiing) to go from one side to another. You lose some skiing time but it surely better than spending hours via bus. Or stick to PC side for a few days, maybe?

And as I remember back, this "kitchen closes early in PC" topic ties in with my primary beef with the poor PC bus transit.

It took so long for this city transit system (not just from all the unscheduled 'dropping by the next driver's house'/etc) to get me from Canyons to my PC hotel, that by the time I got home HOURS later, and jumped in the shower, every night (using the poor busses again to get me from hotel to downtown), I was in danger of NOT making it to restaurants in time before their kitchens closed ridiculously early. (Ridiculous for a CITY).

DAILY! NIGHTLY! Every single day of my week+ there.

It was routine each night walking into several restaurants, only to hear their kitchen is closed, and then was in a panic walking as fast as I could to the next closest restaurant (this was city, not country), REPEAT. Especially when going to non-tourist local places out where my hotel was.

"Back late from Canyons yet again, no time for apres, only quick shower, no time for a bus to take me downtown, I'll just WALK to local places near hotel where I don't need to rely on the poor busses." Still found closed kitchen after closed kitchen.

Even on Main Street, I'd frequently be the last diner in the place. "Cowboys eat early."

It was a nightly occurrence. For me. A daily and nightly annoyance for me. Thus I said, this place is clearly not for me.

I cut a small rural New England ski town slack IF they'd close early (and they don't), but a CITY? PC has more of a 1950's suburban dining time and vibe and cuisine, than a modern city.

Your view may be different, but that guy's experience certainly matches mine to a tee!