• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

AdironRider

Pretty much every ski resort out here is dealing with understaffing issues. It isn't a financial thing like they are hurting, but rather a combination of greed on their part (not paying enough), visa issues (tougher to get J1's), and a booming economy (pretty much every other job pays better and the West is doing better compared to most NE resort communities). Throw in a lack of affordable housing and you get the junk show of understaffed mountains.

They shut down RFID gates here in Jackson at all the upper mountain lifts that had it and just run it on the base lifts now, solely because they can't staff them for example. Parking lots aren't getting plowed daily. Etc.

Buck screw it, bring on the Ikon crowds anyways, regardless of the damage to the brand.

jimk

I've skied A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Big Sky and Park City in the last two weeks. A fairly wide spread of western mtns. Probably the least crowded was Park City surprisingly. But this is just a random sample. None were crazy busy, but all seem to be doing pretty good business. I think the various multiresort passes may be a factor, but mostly it's probably because everywhere out here is having a good snow year and that's the biggest crowd driver.

p_levert

I will be in SLC from Sunday to Tuesday. I have an Ikon pass. I am assuming that the LCC and BCC resorts will be very busy on Sunday, and the drive up/down could be a pain as well. Is Deer Valley a good alternative for avoiding crowds and driving hassles? Anything to know about parking lots and the like? I know DV is more intermediate focused, but I am assuming there are also some glades and harder runs in the mix.

machski

I will be in SLC from Sunday to Tuesday. I have an Ikon pass. I am assuming that the LCC and BCC resorts will be very busy on Sunday, and the drive up/down could be a pain as well. Is Deer Valley a good alternative for avoiding crowds and driving hassles? Anything to know about parking lots and the like? I know DV is more intermediate focused, but I am assuming there are also some glades and harder runs in the mix.
DV can be very crowded too. Also note that you must go to a ticket window with your Ikon pass and they can and do sell out on some days. Use this link to reserve your ticket ahead of time https://ikonres.deervalley.com.

They definitely have a lot of trees and some legit steeps in the Daly Chutes, though rather short. You can ski all of that in about 6 runs or so. Mayflower Chutes are also listed as double, but they pale in comparison. Those should only be a single.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

The snow is pretty thick at alta today so I imagine its super thick on the park city side. Maybe tomorrows colder system will reset the surface....

p_levert

DV can be very crowded too. Also note that you must go to a ticket window with your Ikon pass and they can and do sell out on some days. Use this link to reserve your ticket ahead of time https://ikonres.deervalley.com.

They definitely have a lot of trees and some legit steeps in the Daly Chutes, though rather short. You can ski all of that in about 6 runs or so. Mayflower Chutes are also listed as double, but they pale in comparison. Those should only be a single.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thanks for the tips, glad I asked. Since they have a daily limit on tickets, I can't imagine it gets ridiculously crowded. I already booked my spot for Sunday. There's no downside, even if I change my mind, I will never use all 5 days at DV.

BenedictGomez

I've skied A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Big Sky and Park City in the last two weeks. A fairly wide spread of western mtns. Probably the least crowded was Park City surprisingly. But this is just a random sample. None were crazy busy, but all seem to be doing pretty good business. I think the various multi-resort passes may be a factor, but mostly it's probably because everywhere out here is having a good snow year and that's the biggest crowd driver.

I wonder if it's the fact Park City is the only thing EPIC in the area; perhaps out-of-town EPIC holders are choosing the diversity they can get on that pass in California, Colorado, etc... instead.

Also, if I lived in Utah, IKON would be a much better pass, so maybe a bit of the local market is slowly being eroded from PC as well?

Heck, even as a visitor, I'll be going out there later this season and I know I'll be skiing Alta, Deer Valley, and Snowbasin, as I've already procured reasonable lift tickets in advance for those. I'd like to hit Park City too, but not if I have to pay $150 to do so, I'll just wind up skiing somewhere else more affordably instead.

kingslug

Im in PC now..skied here and Snowbird..not a bad day yet..even in the wet snow yesterday..today at the bird was awesome..powder all day.
Consider that park city plus the canyons has 7400 acres..alta snowbird 5000 combined...
I havent had many bad days here in 23 years..
But yes..traffic has become insane..get there very early..leave early or late..pay attention to weather which changes fast.

skiNEwhere

Agree that Snowbird has been slow opening up stuff this season. The real reason has to do with a shortage of staff.
Alta doesn't seem to have this problem. I've talked with a few Alta patrollers, and it seems like many of them started at snowbird and moved over to Alta due to problems with management. Alta is just a better run resort, period.

I've skied A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Big Sky and Park City in the last two weeks. A fairly wide spread of western mtns. Probably the least crowded was Park City surprisingly.
It seems like at PC the longest you'll wait in line is at the bottom of the mountain if you're at least an advanced skier. 9990, super kondor, jupiter never have any sort of wait whatsoever even during peak periods. Seems counterintuitive but most tourists just want to stick to groomers.

I don't think PC gets quite as little snow as their reputation holds. They average 300 inches a year but that measurement is taken mid mountain. Probably closer to 350/400 up top, which is where all the terrain worth skiing is at anyways.

LCC traffic can be bad but get up the canyon early and have a leisurely breakfast and its all avoided. Go down before 3 or stay and have a leisurely beer or 5 to avoid afternoon shitshow.

Last season that was true. This season I've hit the mouth of LCC at 7:30 AM on an 8 inch weekend pow day and hit a lot of traffic. I've only been here 2 seasons so my sample size is pretty small, but last season we didn't seem to have that problem. I've seen it take 4+ hours to get down the canyon on 2 seperate occasions this year as well. It's been crazy.

kingslug

Big dump day..no wait at all..tomorrow will be different..so..take an advanced lesson which is more like atour and bypass liftlines all day

thetrailboss

Staff member
Alta doesn't seem to have this problem. I've talked with a few Alta patrollers, and it seems like many of them started at snowbird and moved over to Alta due to problems with management. Alta is just a better run resort, period.

Trust me. Alta is by no means perfect.

As to Snowbird, the low snow year last season led to some pretty bad employee benefit cuts. The ramifications are being felt by management now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zand

How are things looking heading into next week? Looks like base depths are sufficiently deep, hope the surface conditions work out better this time around. Hitting Brighton Thursday, Jackson Friday-Sunday then Alta/Bird Monday and Tuesday. One of the Jackson days will probably be a "rest day" unless it dumps.

lerops

I was at the Cottonwood canyons for 6 days before yesterday. Temps went up to 40s during the say and froze at night. But no ice, just hardpack in the morning and spring conditions later in the day. Though places like Honeycomb became challenging towards the end. I had a great time regardless.

But with the new snow they are getting, things should be back to normal.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was at the Cottonwood canyons for 6 days before yesterday. Temps went up to 40s during the say and froze at night. But no ice, just hardpack in the morning and spring conditions later in the day. Though places like Honeycomb became challenging towards the end. I had a great time regardless.

But with the new snow they are getting, things should be back to normal.

Right. We're at the time of year when things are warmer and "powder" becomes rarer to find. Doesn't mean that the skiing is bad. It is awesome. Best cover I have seen out here in eight years.

Skrn

On my flight to SLC right now and will ski cottonwood canyon for a few days. Is it get a bit less crowded now we are in March? Which resort should I go tomorrow (Saturday) to avoid the crowd?

thetrailboss

Staff member
On my flight to SLC right now and will ski cottonwood canyon for a few days. Is it get a bit less crowded now we are in March? Which resort should I go tomorrow (Saturday) to avoid the crowd?

Generally, it has been less busy. That said, last Sunday it was packed at Snowbird. Normally I would say Solitude, but not this year because it is on the Ikon pass.

Best thing is to get up early....Alta or Brighton probably. I think weather will be an issue tomorrow and will limit Snowbird.

lerops

I skied Alta last Fr and Sat, and BCC afterwards.

I did not wait more than 5 minutes at Alta, but generally less. Solitude was mostly ski-on. Brighton was more crowded, but still at most a few minutes. Don’t forget that kids ski free at Brighton, so that makes it a more attractive.

I would not choose based on potential crowds at this point.