Utah? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 205

Thread: Utah?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Agree that Snowbird has been slow opening up stuff this season. The real reason has to do with a shortage of staff.
    There was a shortage of staff this summer when I was there too, I wonder if they're not doing well financially.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  2. #22
    Pretty much every ski resort out here is dealing with understaffing issues. It isn't a financial thing like they are hurting, but rather a combination of greed on their part (not paying enough), visa issues (tougher to get J1's), and a booming economy (pretty much every other job pays better and the West is doing better compared to most NE resort communities). Throw in a lack of affordable housing and you get the junk show of understaffed mountains.

    They shut down RFID gates here in Jackson at all the upper mountain lifts that had it and just run it on the base lifts now, solely because they can't staff them for example. Parking lots aren't getting plowed daily. Etc.

    Buck screw it, bring on the Ikon crowds anyways, regardless of the damage to the brand.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  3. #23
    I've skied A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Big Sky and Park City in the last two weeks. A fairly wide spread of western mtns. Probably the least crowded was Park City surprisingly. But this is just a random sample. None were crazy busy, but all seem to be doing pretty good business. I think the various multiresort passes may be a factor, but mostly it's probably because everywhere out here is having a good snow year and that's the biggest crowd driver.

  4. #24
    I will be in SLC from Sunday to Tuesday. I have an Ikon pass. I am assuming that the LCC and BCC resorts will be very busy on Sunday, and the drive up/down could be a pain as well. Is Deer Valley a good alternative for avoiding crowds and driving hassles? Anything to know about parking lots and the like? I know DV is more intermediate focused, but I am assuming there are also some glades and harder runs in the mix.


  5. #25
    ThinkSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bad Liver Valley, VT
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It is also flat and in no way like Alta.
    I guess the patroller we skied with must have known all the non-flat parts with knee-deep powder.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

  6. #26
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    I will be in SLC from Sunday to Tuesday. I have an Ikon pass. I am assuming that the LCC and BCC resorts will be very busy on Sunday, and the drive up/down could be a pain as well. Is Deer Valley a good alternative for avoiding crowds and driving hassles? Anything to know about parking lots and the like? I know DV is more intermediate focused, but I am assuming there are also some glades and harder runs in the mix.
    DV can be very crowded too. Also note that you must go to a ticket window with your Ikon pass and they can and do sell out on some days. Use this link to reserve your ticket ahead of time https://ikonres.deervalley.com.

    They definitely have a lot of trees and some legit steeps in the Daly Chutes, though rather short. You can ski all of that in about 6 runs or so. Mayflower Chutes are also listed as double, but they pale in comparison. Those should only be a single.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  7. #27
    The snow is pretty thick at alta today so I imagine its super thick on the park city side. Maybe tomorrows colder system will reset the surface....

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    DV can be very crowded too. Also note that you must go to a ticket window with your Ikon pass and they can and do sell out on some days. Use this link to reserve your ticket ahead of time https://ikonres.deervalley.com.

    They definitely have a lot of trees and some legit steeps in the Daly Chutes, though rather short. You can ski all of that in about 6 runs or so. Mayflower Chutes are also listed as double, but they pale in comparison. Those should only be a single.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Thanks for the tips, glad I asked. Since they have a daily limit on tickets, I can't imagine it gets ridiculously crowded. I already booked my spot for Sunday. There's no downside, even if I change my mind, I will never use all 5 days at DV.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    I've skied A-Basin, Crested Butte, Snowbird, Big Sky and Park City in the last two weeks. A fairly wide spread of western mtns. Probably the least crowded was Park City surprisingly. But this is just a random sample. None were crazy busy, but all seem to be doing pretty good business. I think the various multi-resort passes may be a factor, but mostly it's probably because everywhere out here is having a good snow year and that's the biggest crowd driver.
    I wonder if it's the fact Park City is the only thing EPIC in the area; perhaps out-of-town EPIC holders are choosing the diversity they can get on that pass in California, Colorado, etc... instead.

    Also, if I lived in Utah, IKON would be a much better pass, so maybe a bit of the local market is slowly being eroded from PC as well?

    Heck, even as a visitor, I'll be going out there later this season and I know I'll be skiing Alta, Deer Valley, and Snowbasin, as I've already procured reasonable lift tickets in advance for those. I'd like to hit Park City too, but not if I have to pay $150 to do so, I'll just wind up skiing somewhere else more affordably instead.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  10. #30
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    looooooong island ny
    Posts
    4,321
    Im in PC now..skied here and Snowbird..not a bad day yet..even in the wet snow yesterday..today at the bird was awesome..powder all day.
    Consider that park city plus the canyons has 7400 acres..alta snowbird 5000 combined...
    I havent had many bad days here in 23 years..
    But yes..traffic has become insane..get there very early..leave early or late..pay attention to weather which changes fast.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:27 PM.