• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes - “d-bag” and quoting Forrest Gump are surely internationally-recognized symbols of advanced intelligence.

If :
  • buying multiple rival multi-hundred dollar ski passes (EPIC $940 + Ikon $945) each year... and/or
  • buying TEN individual $125-$170/day Utah ski tickets for individual ski areas at window prices… and/or
  • being forced to rent a car ... and/or
  • being forced to use unethical Uber each morning and each night... and/or
  • spending your mornings and nights driving between different ski mountains every day... and/or
  • sleeping in an urban noisy SLC city hotel with no 'ski ambience' so you can drive each day... and/or
  • moving to a new slope-side hotel at super-inflated 'luxury' one-night rates each night
  • all costing WAY more than abc's "dirt cheap Utah airfare" (food is moot since relatively same per any trip)
..sound like your ideal ski trip and sound ‘smart’ to you, then more power to you. Utah is your jam.

It is not the norm.

So basically, what you’re saying here is:

“Don’t stay in PC for food/transit/skiing and don’t ski its one unified ski area.”

In other words, we agree.

> This is seriously getting unbelievable

On this we also agree. I said my piece…

Seriously, give it up. :roll:

asnowmobiler

It’s crazy how someone could take the time and money to plan a trip so poorly just to prove their point.
I blame Trump for letting people like you stay here.��

BenedictGomez

It’s crazy how someone could take the time and money to plan a trip so poorly just to prove their point.

Teleskier's planning a trip to Vermont next year without a rental car, where he'll stay in an AirBNB across the street from Cochran's, and afterward declare skiing in Vermont stinks.

Cochran-s.jpg

kingslug

Epic and Mountain collective pass worked out well for me this year. Stowe (always) PC, JH, Snowbird, Sugarbush. Sadly did not get to Alta for the first time in a long time. We stayed in PC but the drive to the Bird is no big deal. Driving around Utah is great compared to East coast...

skiur

I blame Trump for letting people like you stay here.��

This is why we need to close the border!!!! :)

BenedictGomez

Driving around Utah is great compared to East coast...

It's because they planned their roads intelligently out there with an eye for future growth. Here we wait until traffic is a nightmare, then add one lane when two lanes are clearly required, etc...

tumbler

The roads here are all much older than Utah's. By the time planned and designed roads went in they had learned what worked or not. Plus, probably less environmental regulations...

mbedle

The roads here are all much older than Utah's. By the time planned and designed roads went in they had learned what worked or not. Plus, probably less environmental regulations...

I'll add to that the amount of people living in new england compared to Utah...

crazy

Man I love New England, but seeing Alta get over three feet of snow in a mid April storm is killing me a little bit on the inside :dontknow:

Teleskier

It’s crazy how someone could take the time and money to plan a trip so poorly

You guys have not made your case, other than just saying that someone staying in a Park City hotel and skiing at Park City is ‘stupid’ and ‘shows poor planning’.

Put up or shut up, illustrate how you ‘ski it better’. Otherwise you’re full of crap.

The closest explanation from Senor Gomez is “don’t ski Park City and instead buy day tickets at all the other Utah areas except PC.”

So he and I agree on the ‘skip Park City’ part.

Teleskier's planning a trip to Vermont next year without a rental car, where he'll stay in an AirBNB across the street from Cochran's, and afterward declare skiing in Vermont stinks.

Yeah, let’s look closer at (as you would say) your ‘purposefully trying to be a d-bag’ example.

Do I have to quote all the places in this very forum where the pro-Utah posts rave about PC as world class food and world class transit and world class ski area, etc, etc? Let’s say we ignore all that (which you’re clearly trying to walk away from).

ParkCityBrewery_IndiaPaleAle.jpg

Park City website:

“Park City is the largest ski area in the United States. With over 7,300 acres, 300+ trails, 38 lifts, seven terrain parks, 14 bowls, six natural half pipes, one super pipe and one mini pipe, plus many diverse ski-in/ski-out and village adjacent lodging properties, Park City is an easily accessible, world-class mountain destination”

There’s that “world class” being used yet again. It’s ubiquitous around town. World class burger to beer to transit.

So one can see that a ski tourist might expect the place to live up to its own self-description of world-class skiing, food, transit, beer, etc, and thus stay in PC hotel w/o car to ski it.

park-city-free-bus-transportation-trolley.jpg

Now let’s look at your Cochran’s description. Oh look, there’s a huge pic of cute smiling toddlers on the front cover page:

Cochrans_1.b8004d20227f1a4ad4feb82d5b1b0fa1.jpg

“Cochran's Ski Area
A small, affordable family ski area in Richmond, VT.”

Let me ask you - which of these two places actually lives up to its own self-description?

So to answer your question: I likely would have a great day at Cochran's. It lived up to its expectations and provided what it advertised.

Part of the longstanding New England ethic is to call out charlatan hucksters who make false snake oil boasts and are exposed as such.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
You guys have not made your case, other than just saying that someone staying in a Park City hotel and skiing at Park City is ‘stupid’ and ‘shows poor planning’.

Put up or shut up, illustrate how you ‘ski it better’. Otherwise you’re full of crap.

The closest explanation from Senor Gomez is “don’t ski Park City and instead buy day tickets at all the other Utah areas except PC.”

Yeah, let’s look closer at (as you would say) your ‘purposefully trying to be a d-bag’ example.

Do I have to quote all the places in this very forum where the pro-Utah posts rave about PC as world class food and world class transit and world class ski area, etc, etc? Let’s say we ignore all that (which you’re clearly trying to walk away from).

ParkCityBrewery_IndiaPaleAle.jpg

Park City website:

“Park City is the largest ski area in the United States. With over 7,300 acres, 300+ trails, 38 lifts, seven terrain parks, 14 bowls, six natural half pipes, one super pipe and one mini pipe, plus many diverse ski-in/ski-out and village adjacent lodging properties, Park City is an easily accessible, world-class mountain destination”

There’s that “world class” being used yet again. It’s ubiquitous around town. World class burger to beer to transit.

So one can see that a ski tourist might expect the place to live up to its own self-description of world-class skiing, food, transit, etc, and thus stay in PC hotel w/o car to ski it.

park-city-free-bus-transportation-trolley.jpg

Now let’s look at your Cochran’s description. Oh look, there’s a huge pic of cute smiling toddlers on the front cover page:

Cochrans_1.b8004d20227f1a4ad4feb82d5b1b0fa1.jpg

“Cochran's Ski Area
A small, affordable family ski area in Richmond, VT.”

Let me ask you - which of these two places actually lives up to its own self-description?

Part of the longstanding New England ethic is to call out charlatan hucksters who make false snake oil boasts and are exposed as such.

Wow, you really need professional help.

BenedictGomez

Actually, that's not what I said at all, and you completely misunderstood. I like Park City / Canyons quite a bit.

What I was saying is that if you're flying across continent, paying for a week or more of lodging, and intending to "Ski Utah", but are simultaneously somehow so financially destitute that you cannot afford $250 for a simple rental car, then you should not be staying on the Wasatch Back (i.e. Park City), you should be staying on the Wasatch Front (Sandy, SLC, Cottonwood Heights), etc... This also gets back to how I and others are proclaiming your "trip planning" as some of the worst we've ever seen posted on this forum.

Keep in mind, I've only been to Utah 3 times in my life, so I'm hardly an expert, yet I was able to glean all this from roughly 15 minutes of perusing Google Maps. Then again, I'm also able to use power tools unsupervised.

crazy

Park City website:

Do you realize that your source for PCMR being "world class" is the PCMR website :grin:? That website was written by their marketing department, just like every other ski resort's website. Frankly, just about any hotel or destination resort anywhere in the world has a fancy website with marketing copy just like what you're quoting from that touts them as the "best" at something. You have to realize that they are selling themselves. If you really wanted to see if PCMR was world class skiing, you would consult a third party source. Same for food ratings, beer ratings, or whatever. Show me some reputable, objective third party sources that are saying that Park City has the best skiing, food, beer, or public transit in the world :beer: HAHA!

Actually, that's not what I said at all, and you completely misunderstood. I like Park City / Canyons quite a bit.

What I was saying is that if you're flying across continent, paying for a week or more of lodging, and intending to "Ski Utah", but are simultaneously somehow so financially destitute that you cannot afford $250 for a simple rental car, then you should not be staying on the Wasatch Back (i.e. Park City), you should be staying on the Wasatch Front (Sandy, SLC, Cottonwood Heights), etc... This also gets back to how I and others are proclaiming your "trip planning" as some of the worst we've ever seen posted on this forum.

Keep in mind, I've only been to Utah 3 times in my life, so I'm hardly an expert, yet I was able to glean all this from roughly 15 minutes of perusing Google Maps. Then again, I'm also able to use power tools unsupervised.

Exactly. I actually like PCMR and DV quite a bit, but I like Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude even more. The former are great, the latter are among the best places I've ever skied. And you're right, if you want to save money, you do the Wasatch Front, where you can legitimately take TRAX from the airport to your lodging, and take the ski bus to the resorts, all without renting a car.

BenedictGomez

you're right, if you want to save money, you do the Wasatch Front, where you can legitimately take TRAX from the airport to your lodging, and take the ski bus to the resorts, all without renting a car.

Teleskier's the type who goes on a trip to NYC and eats at Sbarro.