• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Needs More Luxury Slopeside Lodging

BenedictGomez

The crazy thing about units like this is that almost none of them will be occupied, but for a handful of weeks/weekends per year.

Fully-owned Ghost Town buildings essentially.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The crazy thing about units like this is that almost none of them will be occupied, but for a handful of weeks/weekends per year.

Fully-owned Ghost Town buildings essentially.
That's kind of the case with all vacation properties no?

We are staying at a condo resort this week one mile from Attitash. I'd bet the occupancy rate tonight is 10% for the facility.

One of these units goes for $200k though, not $2M+

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

that building is ugly... I wonder where they are going to shoe horn that in on the Spruce side of things?

Hawk

Considering that they sold out of those $1.2M + townhouses and single family homes to the likes of Abigail Johnson, Bill Koch's family and many other very wealthy business owners, this thing will be a slam dunk. Developers up there would not start a project like this if the demand and presale was not really good. Stowe has truly transformed into the Vail or Aspen of the east. I personally do not like what it has done to such an eastern Icon of a mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
that building is ugly... I wonder where they are going to shoe horn that in on the Spruce side of things?
It's freaking terrible. I still follow the Stowe Reporter having called Stowe home for many years. When they published the article that the town planning board approved it, not one person who commented on the FB page approved.

Wish the whole Spruce thing never happened. Stowe was a much better ski experience both the mountain and the town pre-Spruce. I don't know any local in town that feels otherwise

BenedictGomez

I feel the problem with "new Stowe", is they tried to cram a massive western ski resort into an eastern footprint.

It just feels awkward and disjointed, and anything but the New England quaint that Stowe was renowned for.

Domeskier

I'd rather have my home mountain making money off luxury condos than affordable housing for the masses. People buying a second (or nth) home in this price range aren't spending every free weekend there to justify the cost, or renting it out when they aren't around for additional income. They are looking for places to park assets. The mountain makes money and the regulars don't see a material increase in skier visits. Everybody wins.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd rather have my home mountain making money off luxury condos than affordable housing for the masses. People buying a second (or nth) home in this price range aren't spending every free weekend there to justify the cost, or renting it out when they aren't around for additional income. They are looking for places to park assets. The mountain makes money and the regulars don't see a material increase in skier visits. Everybody wins.
Vail only operates the ski area. They won't be making money off these real estate transactions other than secondary income from visitors

Hawk

Have you been to Stowe lately. Skier visits are way up. Not saying it is the new development at Spruce. It's the new pass structure that Vail has brought in. So now it is crowded and has all this Glitsy crap that seems out of place at the mountain. I think the total experience has gone down hill. That just me but others have said the same.

Domeskier

I never really thought of Stowe as an anti-Vail. I guess they could put a tar-paper roof on the new condominiums to appease class-conscious regulars who prefer to do their skiing surrounded by rural poverty. Stowe's problem (assuming there is one) is not 27 new luxury condos. It is (as you point out) a cheap pass that has dramatically increased skier visits.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I never really thought of Stowe as an anti-Vail. I guess they could put a tar-paper roof on the new condominiums to appease class-conscious regulars who prefer to do their skiing surrounded by rural poverty. Stowe's problem (assuming there is one) is not 27 new luxury condos. It is (as you point out) a cheap pass that has dramatically increased skier visits.
It very much used to be the Anti-Vail. Prior to Spruce it was basically just a ski area. Only a minimal amount of modest slopeside real estate. They had the one high speed quad and the gondola, but the facilities were pretty spartan other than that. They made minimal snow, groomed a lot less, ski patrol didn't call the cops when you pouched a line; it was a classic in the vein of a Cannon or Wildcat. Whiteface would be an apt comparison actually. Lake Placid isn't "rural poverty" despite the ski area not having a Disneyland resort at it's base. Neither was Stowe "rural poverty" prior to the Spruce Disneyland Resort.

And with all that high end real estate came a massive uptick in all real estate prices in town. In the 90s you could still have a middle management job at the mountain and afford a home in town. There were tons of families who had been there for generations. No longer the case. Anyone from there can no longer afford to live there.

But, hey, Abigail Johnson is thrilled for her two visits a year. Sure seems worth it because of that.

Domeskier

It very much used to be the Anti-Vail. Prior to Spruce it was basically just a ski area. Only a minimal amount of modest slopeside real estate. They had the one high speed quad and the gondola, but the facilities were pretty spartan other than that.

I guess I don't have a very strong preference as to whether I ski at a place like the Stowe of the 90s or the Stowe of today. If I were looking to buy, I'd strongly prefer the Disney resort they have there now.

kingslug

We went there for the snow..we bought a 2 bed condo..because the skiing is good..as far as all the rest of it..it is what it is..its still a big mountain with a lot of good lines and endless tree skiing..
This is happening all over..nothing you can do about it.
Go to Aruba..see what that has become.

Hawk

I guess I don't have a very strong preference as to whether I ski at a place like the Stowe of the 90s or the Stowe of today. If I were looking to buy, I'd strongly prefer the Disney resort they have there now.
To each his own. It is way more crowded, way more tracked out on powder days. way more expensive for a day skier and has lost the feel of a Vermont ski area. I personally do not go there for the amenities or the glitz. I go there to ski so for me, everything they have done is not beneficial. Well with one exception. The new snowmaking system kicks ass for the early season. Also I would always respect the locals as they are fully invested in the place. If they are not happy it says a bunch about the owners. We do not have that issue for the most part with Win Smith at Sugarbush. I am very thankful that things turned out fairly well over here because I bought here and now call in my home.

Smellytele

To each his own. It is way more crowded, way more tracked out on powder days. way more expensive for a day skier and has lost the feel of a Vermont ski area. I personally do not go there for the amenities or the glitz. I go there to ski so for me, everything they have done is not beneficial. Well with one exception. The new snowmaking system kicks ass for the early season. Also I would always respect the locals as they are fully invested in the place. If they are not happy it says a bunch about the owners. We do not have that issue for the most part with Win Smith at Sugarbush. I am very thankful that things turned out fairly well over here because I bought here and now call in my home.

I don't usually go to the ritzy side when at Stowe. Usually stay on the Mansfield side.