• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Needs More Luxury Slopeside Lodging

slatham

I was at Stowe Saturday March 9th. Parking at capacity at 10:30. They need more parking, not more luxury condos. But of course the luxury condo complex is completely separate and distinct from the operating ski area.

Surprisingly, I didn't find the lift lines (other than the FourRunner Quad) to be too bad, or the slope crowding. In fact the Lookout Double was ski on to maybe 10 chairs deep wait. Triple similar. Sensation Quad even less.

mbedle

that building is ugly... I wonder where they are going to shoe horn that in on the Spruce side of things?

This building is being attached to the south end of the spruce base lodge. If you ever walk over the bridge to get to Sunny lift, look at the metal wall that covers the chimney. That is were this building will be attached, which will come out and behind the ski patrol building.

slatham

This building is being attached to the south end of the spruce base lodge. If you ever walk over the bridge to get to Sunny lift, look at the metal wall that covers the chimney. That is were this building will be attached, which will come out and behind the ski patrol building.

One Spruce Peak will extend West (if not NW) of Spruce Base Lodge, extending out toward the Front Four. It will be between Easy Over Gondi and Slalom Hill.

Penthouse on Front Four side going for a cool $10mm!

Last edited:

kendo

Here's a pic from the sales office of how the new One Spruce Peak building 'fits' into the landscape. Totally modern and fugly.

One Spruce.jpg

I'd be happy if they invested in a social media / tech person to provide real time updates on lifts and conditions. I get they have to follow the Vail template, but other areas are constantly updating via their mtn app, twitter, facebook, etc in real time.

mbedle

It's turning into a three-dimensional, architectural Jenga-exercise, of how much crap they can stuff into a small acreage footprint.

blame that all on the residence of Stowe (and everybody else that fought that), they forced it to be that small of a development area, not AIG.

kingslug

They need a better parking scheme and a way to handle the crowds ...with only 2 real lifts to the top (the double is...what it is) its becoming a shit show on a good day.

drjeff

The age old issue of you need parking lots to get guests to the resorts to make money, but you can often make more money, especially in the short term, using acreage for pricey housing units than you can for parking spaces that often sit empty more days of the year than not!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
They need a better parking scheme and a way to handle the crowds ...with only 2 real lifts to the top (the double is...what it is) its becoming a shit show on a good day.
I think replacing the triple should be the priority instead of trying to get more people on the summit. Tons of terrain off that lift for intermediate skiers and obviously all of the terrain park crowd. A quicker ride with high capacity over there would siphon a fair bit of traffic off the Forerunner

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

Remember when Stowe used to be the quintessential New England village? Seems like the new Stowe wants to get you to the developed "village" at the mountain and keep you there.

xlr8r

I think replacing the triple should be the priority instead of trying to get more people on the summit. Tons of terrain off that lift for intermediate skiers and obviously all of the terrain park crowd. A quicker ride with high capacity over there would siphon a fair bit of traffic off the Forerunner

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I agree, they should upgrade the triple to a detachable quad to serve the intermediate trails on that side of the mountain. Lord, Toll Road, and Sunrise are already full of intermediates and get skied off quick. The lookout double should stay as is, even though it is by far the oldest lift on the mountain. With a faster lift replacing the triple, the crowds should decrease on the Fourrunner.

slatham

I agree, they should upgrade the triple to a detachable quad to serve the intermediate trails on that side of the mountain. Lord, Toll Road, and Sunrise are already full of intermediates and get skied off quick. The lookout double should stay as is, even though it is by far the oldest lift on the mountain. With a faster lift replacing the triple, the crowds should decrease on the Fourrunner.

Lookout needs to be replaced, and my recommendation would be a fixed grip quad (better in wind than HSQ, offers more capacity when 4RQ is down due to wind, putting in another HSQ would be too much)

I agree with replacing triple with HSQ. Though a FGQ with loader could be an option.

Of course if you did both you would have way more uphill capacity than parking. So a new lift from Toll House base area, with expanded parking, is also needed.

Domeskier

The age old issue of you need parking lots to get guests to the resorts to make money, but you can often make more money, especially in the short term, using acreage for pricey housing units than you can for parking spaces that often sit empty more days of the year than not!!

I guess they could always start charging for parking. Or, better yet, build some subterranean garages under the fancy mountain condos. That way at least they could be rid of those shanty towns that the parking lot barbecue crowd set up in prime parking spots every spring.

jimmywilson69

They should just make the main lot 2 levels. Its already paved just duplicate it up 1 level.

I know I will be chastised for that, but its a pretty easy thing to do. They could even do it on half as to not impact the log cabin