• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mountain creek vs. blue mt. vs. camelback vs. shawnee

gladerider

creek is about 1:15, blue - 1:40, CB - 1:30 and shawnee - 1:15 from me.

used to hit up m creek a few times when it was part of the maxpass last year. that was convenient. i take my family to vermont every other weekend and being able to hit up creek in between those weekends worked out really well for me.

now on ikon pass this year. i haven't been able to do that this year and now i miss it, especially today. it would have been a great day to ski today.

so i am seriously thinking about getting a season pass at one of those mountains for the next season. thought about the cats, but that takes additional 3 hours on the road so that option is out.

not crazy about creek but it works for me. blue would be another good option but it is also the farthest. have not been to camelback and shawnee in 30 years so i don't really remember much other than them being really small.

i typically get to creek by like 11am and lap that thing like 15-20 times depending on the crowd level and come home. not sure if i should just stick to creek or try out the pokes for a year.

if you live in nyc metro and if you have an ikon, epic or mt collective, what is your filler pass?

Last edited:

Domeskier

I live in NYC and get a pass to Blue. It is the furthest from me of the options you listed too (a little over two hours), but there is a great bump scene there and they always seed at least one trail. They are hosting a bump comp next Saturday too. Usually has a big turn out and draws some excellent bumpers.

BenedictGomez

Blue Mountain is the best skiing of those, but Shawnee is the most family friendly if had skiing little ones.

BenedictGomez

I live in NYC and get a pass to Blue. It is the furthest from me of the options you listed too (a little over two hours), but there is a great bump scene there and they always seed at least one trail. They are hosting a bump comp next Saturday too. Usually has a big turn out and draws some excellent bumpers.

Why not Platty at that point? About 4x better terrain & not much farther than the 2+ hours you mention.

gladerider

Why not Platty at that point? About 4x better terrain & not much farther than the 2+ hours you mention.

platty is 2:45 from me. realistically, it is like 3 hours one way. mt. creek is like 1:15.

as mentioned i typically do stratton, killington or sugarbush on alternating weekends. i am trying to find a mt that i can hit on those non-vt weekends. i would like pick one near by that i can hit within 1:30 one way and the ones listed fit that profile.

mikes

Blue is offering a $100 discount on their season passes through the end of this month. It’s good through closing this year and next. It gets crowded there later in the morning on weekends but that’s probably true of all those that you mentioned. Theirs a season pass only lift gate that helps cut down the wait. I’ve been mainly skiing weekdays there this year and crowds haven’t been an issue.

Ol Dirty Noodle

creek is about 1:15, blue - 1:40, CB - 1:30 and shawnee - 1:15 from me.

used to hit up m creek a few times when it was part of the maxpass last year. that was convenient. i take my family to vermont every other weekend and being able to hit up creek in between those weekends worked out really well for me.

now on ikon pass this year. i haven't been able to do that this year and now i miss it, especially today. it would have been a great day to ski today.

so i am seriously thinking about getting a season pass at one of those mountains for the next season. thought about the cats, but that takes additional 3 hours on the road so that option is out.

not crazy about creek but it works for me. blue would be another good option but it is also the farthest. have not been to camelback and shawnee in 30 years so i don't really remember much other than them being really small.

i typically get to creek by like 11am and lap that thing like 15-20 times depending on the crowd level and come home. not sure if i should just stick to creek or try out the pokes for a year.

if you live in nyc metro and if you have an ikon, epic or mt collective, what is your filler pass?

I’m on Long Island and I’m gonna go with the bellayre/white face/ gore pass, $759 right now, ski the rest of this season and ‘19-20. Bell is about 2 hours from me and my go to mountain, gore and whiteface are 4 and 6 hours so they require a weekend.

Domeskier

Never been. I just ski the same zipper line over and over again until I’m worn out and go home. There’s a big crew of regular bumpers with a similar monomaniacal focus on zipper line mogul skiing at Blue too, which makes it fun. I only look for trees or steeps when there are no bumps to bash, so I don’t feel compelled to make the drive to North every weekend (at least until spring bump season on Superstar!).

legalskier

My drive times are similar to yours & I've skied all 4 areas. For me Blue is head & shoulders above the others so I'll drive the extra 15 mins to get there. They offer a 3 pack at a discounted price before the season starts- the weekdays only pass is fairly cheap. Sounds like you ski midweek so instead of committing to a season pass up front you might go with a couple of 3 packs to see how you like it next season....

asnowmobiler

I don’t like Camelback, it always seems to be icy and most of the trails are narrow. It’s been a long time since I’ve skied at Shawnee but I remember it being very short. Never been to the Creek, wouldn’t mind trying it one day.
I’m a season pass holder at Blue Mountain, they have a decent variety of runs, although some dangerous intersections and you need to pay attention because most people are not. They make almost all the snow and do a pretty good job of it, especially this year, it seems dryer and more natural like. The crowds can be large on the weekends, it was a zoo yesterday but with the season pass, you get to use the VIP line, so I never waited more than 5 minutes. They have a pretty good bar seen as well:beer:

jg17

Never been to Blue, and I have limited experience with Camelback and Shawnee, so I can't give a lot of input for those.

That said, Creek is selling passes for the rest of this year and all of next for $280 right now. Of course, you know it's crowded as hell and full of first-timers and then just those that don't care if they're skiing recklessly. However, the new management seems to be very responsive to feedback and interested in changing the vibe of the mountain, so hopefully that will continue over the next few years.

Rowsdower

The layout of MC is pretty inconvenient. It's two smaller mountains that don't have a good connection and the southern mountain is very boring/flat.

I would take BM out of the ones you listed. I'm in Philly and have a peak pass at JF/BB which is probably too far for you. JF is small, but probably has the most consistent conditions of any of the mountains you listed owing to its location and elevation further north on the plateau.

Griswold

Any more info on the mogul comp? I can’t really find much online. I’m interested in entering. What’s the format, how is it judged, etc.? Any jumps?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Domeskier

Any more info on the mogul comp? I can’t really find much online. I’m interested in entering. What’s the format, how is it judged, etc.? Any jumps?

Thanks

Yeah, they did a poor job advertising it. They seed a course on the final steep pitch of Razor’s Edge. I can’t imagine it is more than thirty turns, but it is legitimately steep. Last year, they built a kicker at the bottom of the course where it flattens out and jumps did factor into scoring. It has always been a single competitor format, and most entrants get one run. There might be a finals round for the top competitors, but I’m not sure. I think this is the third year they have held the comp on Razor’s, so the format could change as they work out any kinks, I guess. I’m not sure if they have separate categories for men, women and kids. Most people are in it to have fun, but there are always a handful of people with comp experience and impressive skills who make it fun to watch.

I’m sure you saw the registration page, but for anyone else who is interested, here is a link:
https://www.skibluemt.com/calendar/bmr-mogul-mania/

Griswold

Sounds like fun, thanks. Maybe I’ll see you there

tnt1234

I've never been to Mt. Creek.

But Shawnee is terrible. And Blue is better than CB.

I'd go for Blue.

JimG.

Staff member
Guessing Elk is out of your time constraints.

Good bump skiing there too and decent vert and pitch. But they are very protective of their trees and prohibit tree skiing.

x10003q

Big skip on Shawnee. You will be bored within seconds. It should not even be considered. Blue is probably the best choice, with MC with a slight nod over CB.