• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak glades

urungus

Heading up to Jay for the first time. Want to try some of their famous glades but I don’t enjoy really tight glades, just the opposite in fact. A wide run with a few clumps of trees here and there. I checked out a few YouTube videos and “Kokomo” looks promising. Any others like that? Reasonably steep is OK. BTW, is the opposite of “tight glades” called “loose glades”? “wide glades”?

Speaking of “unreasonably steep” Face Chutes and Tuckermans Chute look pretty challenging. But not given double black rating to make them stand out. Any other (not gladed) black diamond trails that the first timer should be wary of ?

dlague

Heading up to Jay for the first time. Want to try some of their famous glades but I don’t enjoy really tight glades, just the opposite in fact. A wide run with a few clumps of trees here and there. I checked out a few YouTube videos and “Kokomo” looks promising. Any others like that? Reasonably steep is OK. BTW, is the opposite of “tight glades” called “loose glades”? “wide glades”?

Speaking of “unreasonably steep” Face Chutes and Tuckermans Chute look pretty challenging. But not given double black rating to make them stand out. Any other (not gladed) black diamond trails that the first timer should be wary of ?
Andre's Paradise, Bearver Pond, Timbuktu

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

Second the Beaver Pond glades area. Not too tight and steep enough to be fun!

Kokomo is VERY wide open, not really a glade in my opinion, just some tree areas. Still fun, but also very flat.

Jay is great! Enjoy.

BenedictGomez

Bushwacker
Show Off or Bonaventure
Timbuktoo
Canyonland
Beaver Pond Glades / Andres Paradise

For a beginner tree skier, I listed these in the order you should attempt them for a reason(s). FYI, Kokomo is not a glade, but a trail with some trees on it.

urungus

FYI, Kokomo is not a glade, but a trail with some trees on it.

Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Smellytele

Exactly the type of trail I am interested in. But FYI Kokomo is listed as a glade on the official snow report, and also depicted as such on the official trail map.

It will disappoint. It is a flat trail with banks of trees in the middle. It is used as a traverse that runs at the bottom of the northern trails to get you back to the lifts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

If that is the level you are at, then disregard everything that has been suggested to you in this thread (including by me) and start with Kokomo, then go to quarter moon, half moon, full moon, and if you're okay with that move onto Bushwacker. Only after conquering Bushwacker should u move onto any of the black rated woods on Jay's map.

tnt1234

Kokomo is flat run out. not a glade at all.

Half and full moon might be better.

beaver pond is generally well spaced and not steep.

urungus

Took a look at some footage of Beaver Pond glades and they seem pretty tight. I am looking for something like “Summit Glades” or “Birch Glades” at Pico, or “Double Diamond” at Okemo. An occasional tree or clump of trees in the middle of a run, but not a forest. Anything similar at Jay? Or for that matter, elsewhere in Vermont?

Smellytele

Took a look at some footage of Beaver Pond glades and they seem pretty tight. I am looking for something like “Summit Glades” or “Birch Glades” at Pico, or “Double Diamond” at Okemo. An occasional tree or clump of trees in the middle of a run, but not a forest. Anything similar at Jay? Or for that matter, elsewhere in Vermont?

Agree you should not go into Beaver Pond but Kokomo is not even close to the others you mention.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

The first time I skied Jay, I was stunned at how widely spaced the trees were.

thetrailboss

Staff member

You might like Burke better. E.g. Carriage Road, Powderhorn, Wilderness (maybe), Upper Bear Den, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

you shouldn't be skiing any of the "real glades" if all you are looking for is a trail with a cluster of trees. would be irresponsible for you to ski a legitimate glade.

Zand

The only thing I can think of thats similar to Double Diamond at Okemo is Sleeper and Murphy's Glade at Sugarbush. Jay isn't the place to be if you're not a glade skier. But it's a terrific place to "get good" at skiing glades.

cdskier

The only thing I can think of thats similar to Double Diamond at Okemo is Sleeper and Murphy's Glade at Sugarbush. Jay isn't the place to be if you're not a glade skier. But it's a terrific place to "get good" at skiing glades.

Been a while since I've been to Okemo, but I recall Double Diamond having far more trees than either Murphy's or Sleeper. If I remember correctly, Double Diamond didn't seem to have enough room to groom unlike Murphy's and Sleeper that are groomed pretty much all the time (even between the trees).

skiur

Been a while since I've been to Okemo, but I recall Double Diamond having far more trees than either Murphy's or Sleeper. If I remember correctly, Double Diamond didn't seem to have enough room to groom unlike Murphy's and Sleeper that are groomed pretty much all the time (even between the trees).

I cant really see how you can call it a glade if it gets groomed. I call that a trail with some trees on it.