• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WST: 3/16-17.....Mid-March Madness....

tnt1234

OK - what's happening this weekend?

I haven't been checkin gate weather - snow? rain? locust? What's on tap?

Me? Might be heading to Mighty blue mountain for some spring skiing. If there is a compelling reason for it, could hit Belleayre or Hunter. really haven't been paying attention, so please guide me with your speculation.....

KustyTheKlown

a full day of steady rain with temps approaching 50, followed by a cloudy day with a high of 33. enjoy.

cdskier

a full day of steady rain with temps approaching 50, followed by a cloudy day with a high of 33. enjoy.

Where do you see steady rain? NWS Burlington says only about 1/4" total across their coverage area and currently is saying showers Friday in the official forecast. Granted we have a lot of time for things to change. Definitely could be a fast and firm weekend with dropping temps after Friday, but at least the moisture amount seems somewhat low for now.

slatham

Question for Saturday is how quickly does it get cold? In this situation - wet/warm Friday and no back side snow - to save Saturday it needs to stay above freezing. It's going to be a close call and the higher and further north the more its looks to be firm and fast.

Sunday is firm and fast everywhere.

Late the following week, the "save the spring" storm is fading on some models but still not out of the question.

KustyTheKlown

yea, we are dog and cat sitting for our landlords next weekend, and i'm happy to sit it out.

we have a fancy room at the woodstock inn the weekend of 3/23 and will do mad river/killington. then i'm off to silverton the next weekend. then its april and we switch to corn mode.

Glenn

Friday isn't looking so hot. Rain from CT all the way up to the Canadian boarder. Hoping we can make a go of it Sunday.

Zand

Have a bunch of stuff going on the next week and a half so sitting this one out. Hoping the long range models keep next week's return to winter in tact. Still a ton of snow in NNE so two days of torch won't do us in.

gladerider

Looking at Killington both saturday and sunday the problem is going to be the winds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
Looking at Killington both saturday and sunday the problem is going to be the winds.

Will be at K on Sunday unless winds are ridiculous.

Not going on Saturday, last Saturday was a zoo:
31019.jpg
Yup, that's the gondola line snaking up the hill past the K1 lodge, pic taken from Snowdon triple after bubble went down. To be very fair we moved south to the Bear and Southridge areas which were less crowded.
I took that pic to document the insane SS snow spine, you can see the summit pile peeking above the trees at the top.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Will be at K on Sunday unless winds are ridiculous.

Not going on Saturday, last Saturday was a zoo:
View attachment 24754
Yup, that's the gondola line snaking up the hill past the K1 lodge, pic taken from Snowdon triple after bubble went down. To be very fair we moved south to the Bear and Southridge areas which were less crowded.
I took that pic to document the insane SS snow spine, you can see the summit pile peeking above the trees at the top.

Go to K on Sundays! Locals have told me Fridays and Saturdays have been nuts! We went on a Sunday/Monday the prior weekend and it was awesome!

gladerider

What's the chance of lifts running with the winds gusting at 30mph?

Don't want to drive 4.5 hours and deal with windholds.

Too far out but doesn't look too promising right now.

2Planker

30mph is nothing.

Needs to be 40-45+mph CROSSwind before any wind holds start up...

JimG.

Staff member
Go to K on Sundays! Locals have told me Fridays and Saturdays have been nuts! We went on a Sunday/Monday the prior weekend and it was awesome!

I was there Sat because my youngest son's last high school ski club trip for the season was there. I think it was my first Sat of the season, normally a weekday or Sunday guy.

I have nothing but good things to say about the skiing at K this season it has been awesome for me. Very happy with my season pass purchase and will definitely repeat same for next season.

JimG.

Staff member

I would agree that those winds are nothing to worry about. Gondola has been running in winds much higher than that all season.