• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3rd Death at Hunter this season on Hunter North (ignore it Funky)

raisingarizona

I doubt the trail ratings are the root for these accidents. It’s just a bad string of events I’d bet.

Someone mentioned fencing? That’s definitely what hunter needs more of! Man that’s one of the ugliest ski mountains I’ve ever seen.

Smellytele

No. And they were cut FTE's from last year! And they are all burnt out, tired, and have issues with what they have had to witness this year.............. Just ask any of them and they will just groan and shake their heads as they have a mountain and HIPPA gag order.

The mtn needs to double their salary.........

Peaks strikes again

raisingarizona

Tom is pondering how to leap over the snowmaking pipes to reach the new powder in the Balsam Bypass Glades

https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reacti...entifier=10156290530209503&av=100000495911956https://www.facebook.com/ufi/reacti...entifier=10156290530209503&av=1000004959119561818

Hunter Mountain spokeswoman Katie O'Connor said the three deaths this year have been 'thoroughly investigated' by the state police and state Department of Labor, and the labor department says the mountain's trails have 'proper signage."'

Yeah DOL the signs are there, but you have to hop over snowmaking pipes!!!!!!!!! Seriously ??????

Hunter has pipes lining their trails like that? I’d hate to catch an edge and throw my head into that thing. Jesus that place is sketchy AF.

So Inclined

Hunter has pipes lining their trails like that? I’d hate to catch an edge and throw my head into that thing. Jesus that place is sketchy AF.

That is near the top of one of the new trails. There's only a couple new trails that have pipes like that in such exposed positions, and they're in places (far off the trail's edge, down in a gulley) that no one would ever ski over - except if they're trying to access trees.
I've skied around/hopped over many pipes at many different areas on the way to trees off groomers. How else are they supposed to get water up the mountain?

Cornhead

It's all part of communing with nature. That, and the lifts, and the snow guns, and the waffle hut...[emoji6]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
With the shitty weather freeze thaw and ice this year I’ve noticed a big difference by skipping tuning my skis . From what I read they were a “Few times a year “ skiers. Not saying that is the cause but maybe a contributing factor? Sad all around

tumbler

Many mountains have snowmaking pipe like that, its much cheaper and easier to weld or zap lock in the parking lot and drag it up the hill than burying it.

KustyTheKlown

i've contended with many a snowmaking pipe in many areas all over the northeast to get in or out of trees, including at magic this past weekend (i want to see skier's right of sorcerer). really nothing to see there...

BenedictGomez

There's only a couple new trails that have pipes like that in such exposed positions, and they're in places (far off the trail's edge, down in a gulley) that no one would ever ski over - except if they're trying to access trees.

Whether or not someone would intentionally ski over that pipe, what is depicted in that photo is a needlessly dangerous situation (not to mention, ugly). Typically the placement of these pipes is far more thoughtful, and for good reason.

skiur

While it isnt uncommon to see pipes like that in the northeast, If there is an entrance to an on the map glade with sign and everything, the pipe should be buried at the entrance.

Killingtime

Unofficial Networks just posted this on their FB page. Kind of surprised at some of the needlessly nasty comments. Glad to see A-Zoners showing a lot of class when it comes to these tragic events.

So Inclined

Whether or not someone would intentionally ski over that pipe, what is depicted in that photo is a needlessly dangerous situation (not to mention, ugly). Typically the placement of these pipes is far more thoughtful, and for good reason.

While it isnt uncommon to see pipes like that in the northeast, If there is an entrance to an on the map glade with sign and everything, the pipe should be buried at the entrance.

Totally agree with both of you. I haven't been in these particular glades yet (Hunter really hasn't gotten enough snow to drop into the woods there) but when they finally opened Twilight, where that shot was taken, I was a bit baffled. They couldn't bury a ten yard section of pipe as an entrance? Bizarre and ugly to say the least. Maybe they'll remedy that in the future - though clearly there are bigger priorities.

danimals

If the snowmaking pipe wasnt there you would just hit your head on a jagged rock instead. A better year would have that covered in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raisingarizona

It's all part of communing with nature. That, and the lifts, and the snow guns, and the waffle hut...[emoji6]

Yeah ok. Hunter goes above and beyond to look like total shit. Maybe you are immune to it.....I’m not. I’ve never seen such a ghetto AF looking ski mountain. Have fun there guy.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
At Sunday river I think there is a glade that you have to ski over pipes - Flying Monkey?

Yeah...Hollywood over on Barker. Very bizarre and I will ask Machski about it in the Sunday River thread. BIG diameter pipe that goes straight through the glade...couldn't figure out why. It traverses across all of Barker (from what I could tell). Have no idea why it's there.

Cornhead

Yeah ok. Hunter goes above and beyond to look like total shit. Maybe you are immune to it.....I’m not. I’ve never seen such a ghetto AF looking ski mountain. Have fun there guy.
I'm not a big Hunter fan, or Hunter skier, for that matter. Only been once this year, but it has grown on me, despite the fact it looks more like a strip mining operation than a ski hill. Their snowmaking prowess is undeniable, and in lean snow times they can be counted on to provide a better product than any other hill in my vicinity, preferably on a weekday. But even weekends aren't unbearable. Someone may knock you out of both of your bindings, they have, but it's a given. I was looking forward to skiing the new terrain.

It's a shame Peak dropped the ball on the North pod. It's hard to attribute three deaths, so far, in one season, on one pod, on bad luck. There must be something inherently dangerous about these trails. The fact they were tagged blue trails initially is mind boggling. Aren't they suing the company that did the work on them for being too steep? Maybe instead of blue squares they should have had signs that read.

WARNING! This trail is supposed to be a blue square. We were too stupid to realize the terrain was too steep to be a blue square when we designed it. To add to our stupidity we designed off camber turns into the trail. Falls may very well result in sliding off the trail into the trees. If you are not confident in your ability to stay upright, you might want to ski another trail.

raisingarizona

I'm not a big Hunter fan, or Hunter skier, for that matter. Only been once this year, but it has grown on me, despite the fact it looks more like a strip mining operation than a ski hill. Their snowmaking prowess is undeniable, and in lean snow times they can be counted on to provide a better product than any other hill in my vicinity, preferably on a weekday. But even weekends aren't unbearable. Someone may knock you out of both of your bindings, they have, but it's a given. I was looking forward to skiing the new terrain.

It's a shame Peak dropped the ball on the North pod. It's hard to attribute three deaths, so far, in one season, on one pod, on bad luck. There must be something inherently dangerous about these trails. The fact they were tagged blue trails initially is mind boggling. Aren't they suing the company that did the work on them for being too steep? Maybe instead of blue squares they should have had signs that read.

WARNING! This trail is supposed to be a blue square. We were too stupid to realize the terrain was too steep to be a blue square when we designed it. To add to our stupidity we designed off camber turns into the trail. Falls may very well result in sliding off the trail into the trees. If you are not confident in your ability to stay upright, you might want to ski another trail.

Fair enough. They always have killed it with snow making but I couldn’t ever get over the visuals at the place, let alone the weekend crowds.