3rd Death at Hunter this season on Hunter North (ignore it Funky) - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    While it isnt uncommon to see pipes like that in the northeast, If there is an entrance to an on the map glade with sign and everything, the pipe should be buried at the entrance.

Unofficial Networks just posted this on their FB page. Kind of surprised at some of the needlessly nasty comments. Glad to see A-Zoners showing a lot of class when it comes to these tragic events.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Whether or not someone would intentionally ski over that pipe, what is depicted in that photo is a needlessly dangerous situation (not to mention, ugly). Typically the placement of these pipes is far more thoughtful, and for good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    While it isnt uncommon to see pipes like that in the northeast, If there is an entrance to an on the map glade with sign and everything, the pipe should be buried at the entrance.
    Totally agree with both of you. I haven't been in these particular glades yet (Hunter really hasn't gotten enough snow to drop into the woods there) but when they finally opened Twilight, where that shot was taken, I was a bit baffled. They couldn't bury a ten yard section of pipe as an entrance? Bizarre and ugly to say the least. Maybe they'll remedy that in the future - though clearly there are bigger priorities.

At Sunday river I think there is a glade that you have to ski over pipes - Flying Monkey?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

If the snowmaking pipe wasnt there you would just hit your head on a jagged rock instead. A better year would have that covered in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    I bet the pipes will be covered this summer when they regrade some of the areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    It's all part of communing with nature. That, and the lifts, and the snow guns, and the waffle hut...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Yeah ok. Hunter goes above and beyond to look like total shit. Maybe you are immune to it.....I’m not. I’ve never seen such a ghetto AF looking ski mountain. Have fun there guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    At Sunday river I think there is a glade that you have to ski over pipes - Flying Monkey?
    Yeah...Hollywood over on Barker. Very bizarre and I will ask Machski about it in the Sunday River thread. BIG diameter pipe that goes straight through the glade...couldn't figure out why. It traverses across all of Barker (from what I could tell). Have no idea why it's there.
    2019-2020 2 days and counting...
    Killington: 11/15 Mount Snow: 11/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Yeah ok. Hunter goes above and beyond to look like total shit. Maybe you are immune to it.....I’m not. I’ve never seen such a ghetto AF looking ski mountain. Have fun there guy.
    I'm not a big Hunter fan, or Hunter skier, for that matter. Only been once this year, but it has grown on me, despite the fact it looks more like a strip mining operation than a ski hill. Their snowmaking prowess is undeniable, and in lean snow times they can be counted on to provide a better product than any other hill in my vicinity, preferably on a weekday. But even weekends aren't unbearable. Someone may knock you out of both of your bindings, they have, but it's a given. I was looking forward to skiing the new terrain.

It's a shame Peak dropped the ball on the North pod. It's hard to attribute three deaths, so far, in one season, on one pod, on bad luck. There must be something inherently dangerous about these trails. The fact they were tagged blue trails initially is mind boggling. Aren't they suing the company that did the work on them for being too steep? Maybe instead of blue squares they should have had signs that read.

WARNING! This trail is supposed to be a blue square. We were too stupid to realize the terrain was too steep to be a blue square when we designed it. To add to our stupidity we designed off camber turns into the trail. Falls may very well result in sliding off the trail into the trees. If you are not confident in your ability to stay upright, you might want to ski another trail.

Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    I'm not a big Hunter fan, or Hunter skier, for that matter. Only been once this year, but it has grown on me, despite the fact it looks more like a strip mining operation than a ski hill. Their snowmaking prowess is undeniable, and in lean snow times they can be counted on to provide a better product than any other hill in my vicinity, preferably on a weekday. But even weekends aren't unbearable. Someone may knock you out of both of your bindings, they have, but it's a given. I was looking forward to skiing the new terrain.

It's a shame Peak dropped the ball on the North pod. It's hard to attribute three deaths, so far, in one season, on one pod, on bad luck. There must be something inherently dangerous about these trails. The fact they were tagged blue trails initially is mind boggling. Aren't they suing the company that did the work on them for being too steep? Maybe instead of blue squares they should have had signs that read.

WARNING! This trail is supposed to be a blue square. We were too stupid to realize the terrain was too steep to be a blue square when we designed it. To add to our stupidity we designed off camber turns into the trail. Falls may very well result in sliding off the trail into the trees. If you are not confident in your ability to stay upright, you might want to ski another trail.

Fair enough. They always have killed it with snow making but I couldn’t ever get over the visuals at the place, let alone the weekend crowds.

Thread Information