• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3rd Death at Hunter this season on Hunter North (ignore it Funky)

FBGM

Hard to take this. Every ski resort has exposed pipes.

That’s false. Every western resort has them 100% buried. And even some east coast resorts have them buried. You should have them buried at all costs where you can. And if you can’t they are treated no different then any other man made obstical. They fall into the same category as a hydrant, snow gun, lift tower, sign, etc. This is how a lawyer will explain it, and win, if Jerry smashes into those pipes and wrecks himself.

Companies and resorts need to not cut corners and make their resorts look good and safe.

Funky_Catskills

Maybe.. I've lived with exposed pipes.. Didn't even think about until you guys brought it up. They don't seem to be an issue.. They aren't everywhere and are on the inside of the turns..

drjeff

He's (amazingly) right though. There's simply no logical reason to not bury pipes other than penny-pinching. An ultimately penny-wise & pound-foolish decision.

Except for the fact that maintenance and visual inspection of the pipes, both during the season should a blow out/leak happen and during the off season in routine examination time is a heck of a lot easier when the pipes are above ground......

tumbler

He's (amazingly) right though. There's simply no logical reason to not bury pipes other than penny-pinching. An ultimately penny-wise & pound-foolish decision.

It's not penny pinching, it's a huge expense to bury them. Machine time, blasting and significantly more welding for pipe for laterals to get to the side of the trail at each hydrant location. It also makes it easier to replace hydrants because they are directly on the main pipe and you just have to dig snow in the winter and no excavating in the summer. Most new snowmaking is put in above ground and only buried when needed to cross trails or for valve stations. You just don't notice it most of the time because the pipes are under the snow.

FBGM

Exactly. 100% cheap way out. Money driven. Which has the possibility to crumble your area when some dentist sues for $50m becasue he hit them and now has a broken everything.

You guys think I’m some anti Peak resorts demon. I’m an anti cheap poorly run ski area person and peaks is just the main one I see all the issues. I’ve skied at 80+ resorts world wide. Most US though. And you start to compare these places you can see what are better. What are quality. Who treat employees good or bad. Who care about skiing and experience over a few bucks saved.

East coast ski resorts fall into the save money cheap out path. Peak resorts is a perfect example of this across pretty much all their resorts and pretty much across all resort aspects. I wouldn’t ride a lift at those places. Do others do it worse. Sure. Smaller mom and pop places are similar and they don’t have the funds or backing. But others do it way better. Take away the terrain aspect and look at facilities, infrastructure and overall aperence. A place like Okemo, Stratton or Stowe blows a Mt Snow our of the water. Smaller scale, take a Elk Mt or Cammelback. Elk stuck in the ages. Camelback booming with lifts lodges infrastructure done correctly.

West coast apples to apples. Take Brighton and compare it to Solitude. Old and dated and loosely run. Compared to quality.

Vail is a great example. Hate those dirty cocksuckers but they invest and make stuff safe and quality. Back to front top to bottom. No corners cut.

Terrain is great. That’s why we ski. But I’d rather have a safe and quality day on okay terrain then support places that don’t care and cut corners for nickels.

Funky_Catskills

Exactly. 100% cheap way out. Money driven. Which has the possibility to crumble your area when some dentist sues for $50m becasue he hit them and now has a broken everything.

You guys think I’m some anti Peak resorts demon. I’m an anti cheap poorly run ski area person and peaks is just the main one I see all the issues. I’ve skied at 80+ resorts world wide. Most US though. And you start to compare these places you can see what are better. What are quality. Who treat employees good or bad. Who care about skiing and experience over a few bucks saved.

East coast ski resorts fall into the save money cheap out path. Peak resorts is a perfect example of this across pretty much all their resorts and pretty much across all resort aspects. I wouldn’t ride a lift at those places. Do others do it worse. Sure. Smaller mom and pop places are similar and they don’t have the funds or backing. But others do it way better. Take away the terrain aspect and look at facilities, infrastructure and overall aperence. A place like Okemo, Stratton or Stowe blows a Mt Snow our of the water. Smaller scale, take a Elk Mt or Cammelback. Elk stuck in the ages. Camelback booming with lifts lodges infrastructure done correctly.

West coast apples to apples. Take Brighton and compare it to Solitude. Old and dated and loosely run. Compared to quality.

Vail is a great example. Hate those dirty cocksuckers but they invest and make stuff safe and quality. Back to front top to bottom. No corners cut.

Terrain is great. That’s why we ski. But I’d rather have a safe and quality day on okay terrain then support places that don’t care and cut corners for nickels.

Wow - 80 resorts... You must be a really good skier.. But not good enough to be brave about a few pipes off trail - please be safe.. If you can't avoid a pipe off the trail - I doubt you could avoid a human

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Well its a way of cooling the water before it makes it to the guns. Bear creek spent big $’s on a chiller system. Pull it from the pond run it though the chiller and drop the water to 39f vs pond water in the 40’s. 15% Energy saving from what I heard.