The most recent Alta blog broke down skier traffic increases this year - Page 12

AlpineZone

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    I only take the tram once..to get a waffle. When I was there conditions where amazing, snowed almost every day and yes it was crowded but I just got on the front of the gondola line 1/2 hour early and hung out. Then just went ..wherever. Some lifts where crowded but not bad, maybe 10 minutes. Apre side was empty as well as the Teton, but yes it is more crowded than 20 years ago when I started going. Still going to go..Top 3 places for me, Alta/Bird JH...
    The tram gets you to the upper gate.

Maybe they should have left the poma lift in Rendezvous Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    I only take the tram once..to get a waffle. When I was there conditions where amazing, snowed almost every day and yes it was crowded but I just got on the front of the gondola line 1/2 hour early and hung out. Then just went ..wherever. Some lifts where crowded but not bad, maybe 10 minutes. Apre side was empty as well as the Teton, but yes it is more crowded than 20 years ago when I started going. Still going to go..Top 3 places for me, Alta/Bird JH...
    The tram gets you to the upper gate.

Maybe they should have left the poma lift in Rendezvous Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    I skied Jackson all weekend and Monday morning. Got first tram every morning then stayed away (although yesterday was still walk on trams at 10:30 when I left and the first tram wasn't even full).

I don't understand the obsession with Thunder lift and why everyone skis there when the rest of the mountain was empty. I did not wait in a line all weekend for more than 2 minutes. On Sunday I skied 18,000 vertical before 10:30...then left for an hour to sort out my cancelled flight and skied another 19,000 before 2pm.

One thing was certain, the locals were mostly clueless a**holes. Not even they could get the whole story straight and certainly had no real data to substantiate any of their claims other than it was crowded in February.

One main issue, that tram is outdated technology. It holds 600 people per hour max and that doesn't include loading and unloading time. Nobody would ever build something like that again. It doesn't even fit in the upper bays so you have to wait for the insanely slow docking system to unfold. 100 people every ten minutes is likely more like 95ish every 12 minutes.
    The Tram is the only real good way to ski south of the resort OB, at least if you want to ski the signature stuff like Cody. There is apparently some permitting issue with the amount of people that can be on top of the mountain at once. When they were rebuilding it they could only put in a double chair (now the sandwich lift Marmot) for the same reason. That could all be BS like how they have to close April 7th for "elk migration" with a 100"+ base but that is their story and they are sticking to it.

If you can't understand why people ski Thunder I don't know what to tell you, some of the best terrain on the mountain is off that lift, AND it is a critical connector to the other good terrain unless you take said Tram.

You were not skiing this weekend or skiing refrozen crud on AV/Teton if you did not wait in a line for longer than 2 minutes so quit embellishing. I would not travel all this way to ski the equivalent of frozen granular at Pico. Next time you visit you should explore the upper mountain more and I think you'll get it and why locals are complaining.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

One main issue, that tram is outdated technology. It holds 600 people per hour max and that doesn't include loading and unloading time. Nobody would ever build something like that again. It doesn't even fit in the upper bays so you have to wait for the insanely slow docking system to unfold. 100 people every ten minutes is likely more like 95ish every 12 minutes.
    And some people were calling the fixed grip Sublet chair outdated too! It limits the number of people it can deposit on the Lareme bowl.

On the other hand, quite a lot of people are considering that a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The Tram is the only real good way to ski south of the resort OB, at least if you want to ski the signature stuff like Cody. There is apparently some permitting issue with the amount of people that can be on top of the mountain at once. When they were rebuilding it they could only put in a double chair (now the sandwich lift Marmot) for the same reason. That could all be BS like how they have to close April 7th for "elk migration" with a 100"+ base but that is their story and they are sticking to it.

If you can't understand why people ski Thunder I don't know what to tell you, some of the best terrain on the mountain is off that lift, AND it is a critical connector to the other good terrain unless you take said Tram.

You were not skiing this weekend or skiing refrozen crud on AV/Teton if you did not wait in a line for longer than 2 minutes so quit embellishing. I would not travel all this way to ski the equivalent of frozen granular at Pico. Next time you visit you should explore the upper mountain more and I think you'll get it and why locals are complaining.
    I understand why people ski Sublette and Thunder, I don't understand why you'd wait for the lines last weekend to ski that terrain. Ungroomed trails were very slow to warm up and I assume the only soft snow was on north facing slopes. We skied those lifts in the morning and they were empty. By 1030 we moved on. I came to ski, not wait in lift lines so I moved around the mountain accordingly and had a blast.
    2017/2018

Ungroomed trails were very slow to warm up
    I came to ski, not wait in lift lines
    Some come to ski the same eastern condition.

Others come to ski softer snow, or western terrain. Those may choose to endure the lines to ski what they want rather than just ski.

Thread Information